Joe Satriani and the Allan Holdsworth connection!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
lydian7

Joe Satriani often cites in interviews and guitar magazines, as Allan Holdsworth being his main source of inspiration. Joe Satriani's three-notes-per-string legato technique found in classic solos such as 'Ice #9' was pioneered by the great Allan Holdsworth, who continues to hold the crown for the smoothest and fastest legato phrasing in the business (Holdsworth uses four-notes-per-string btw, due to his inhumanly long reach!).

Have you ever wondered where the double-handed technique of tapping came from in Satch's playing, heard in such tracks as Midnight, A Day at the Beach, Champagne, and The Forgotten pt.1? Well this technique was founded by Allan Holdsworth in the 1984 album 'Road Games' (featured on the song of the same name).

If you haven't familiarised yourself with this Jazz fusion giant, then I suggest these albums:-

1. Metal Fatigue
2.Road Games
3. Sixteen men of tain
4. All night wrong (official live album recorded in japan)
5. Secrets

...if you can, it's worth getting his instructional video, which includes heaps of live performances from his band!
Melodic Dreamer

He doesn't call Allan his main inspiration, but one of his inspirations, but yea he gives credit to where credit is due.
I think the way Brett Garsed plays legato sounds more like Holdsworth.
lydian7

Melodic Dreamer wrote:He doesn't call Allan his main inspiration, but one of his inspirations, but yea he gives credit to where credit is due.
I think the way Brett Garsed plays legato sounds more like Holdsworth.
But if you actually play Satriani's legato style, using three-notes-per string whilst sliding onto another note a semitone up, the technique is uncannily close to Holdsworth's. I just think Joe's guitar tone is the only thing that seperates the sound of their Legato techniques.

When I was at birmingham N.E.C Arena during a Satch concert, a friend of mine who worked there introduced my to Satriani back stage. It was really a great moment for me as you might well imagine. When I talked to the guy who worked there, he said he was playing football with Z.Z and really having a good ol' chin-wag with Joe. when they got on to Holdsworth, Joe said "oh, nobody plays like Holdsworth!". But I have a feeling Joe has tried in the past. :wink:

Joe is Joe though, and he's a totally unique guitar player. But it's easy to see that Holdsworth inspired him greatly. the double tapping thing in Midnight and Day at the Beach is so noticable, and Holdsworth pioneered this technique on Road Games. I think there's something in it.
rockininthefreeworld

I'm strarting hearin jazz fusion, it's amazing!
I'm starting playing it in guitar too...
the web page of Allan Holdsworth is (he also has a forum)
http://www.allanholdsworth.com
tim_knox

does any one know if there is a Hodsworth DVD???
Ffats

tim_knox wrote:does any one know if there is a Hodsworth DVD???
I don't think theres an official performance video, however there are numerous instructional videos.
lydian7

yeah, he has a killer instructional video where he fully explains his legato technique (the guy often uses all four fingers per string!), and his 10 most usable scales. It's a little hard to come-by now, and I don't encourage finding it on K-lite or anything :wink:

also he released his first live CD in 2002, live in Roppongi Japan. It's called 'All Night Wrong' and you can get it on the sony label.
anuj

All Night Wrong is awesome - it's on Favored Nations in the US, anyway.

~A
tim_knox

yah i have all night wrong,,,i like it a lot,,,his tone and playing style is soooo smooth,,,obviously due to his amazing legato
Texter

I'd say Jeff Beck before Allan Holdsworth.
tim_knox

you'd say Beck over Holdsworth for what?
Texter

As in being an influence to Satch...
lydian7

No way. I've heard Satch say too many times that his main influences are Jimi Hendrix & Allan Holdsworth. A friend of mine who worked at a concert hall in england (Birmingham N.E.C) said that Saatriani was talking about Holdsworth, saying that nobody could play guitar like him. Of course, I'd have to agree! :wink:
Texter

Uhuh...just go listen to Jeff Beck anyway, if you haven't yet. He's got some nice albums...Blow by blow, for instance. 8)
EyE

How about Stuart Hamm's "Radio free ablemute"! Joe and Allan both contributed on various songs on that album. specialy like "Sexual Active"