The Official 'Secret Jewel Box' Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Official 'Secret Jewel Box' Thread

#496 Post by Jeroen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:13 pm

At this point there is movement. The next release is the Classified disk (Disk 7)., expected this summer.

R1FSR

#497 Post by R1FSR » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks for the update J.

Zongadude

#498 Post by Zongadude » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Jeroen wrote:At this point there is movement. The next release is the Classified disk (Disk 7)., expected this summer.
Now isn't that amazing ? :P

I'm not sure I got it all. So there are two releases (+ tour) planned this year. If I understand correctly, the two releases are "Passion & Warfare" reissue (with a 2nd disc called "Modern Primitive" ?) and then the Classified archive Release.

But I was under the impression Steve was working on a new album (of new material)...
Or is "Modern Primitive" this very new album ?

Oh my God.... could it be the final installment of the RI trilogy ? As in "Reflections ... Of A .... Modern Primitive" ? :o 8) :guitar

Prezidentman

#499 Post by Prezidentman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Zongadude wrote: I'm not sure I got it all. So there are two releases (+ tour) planned this year. If I understand correctly, the two releases are "Passion & Warfare" reissue (with a 2nd disc called "Modern Primitive" ?) and then the Classified archive Release.
I think that's correct. "Modern Primitive" will contain material Steve wrote between Flexable and P&W that he's been re-recording for the P&W 25th anniversary album. So it's not entirely new music but rather newly recorded music.

The next full album of new music should be "THE guitar album" but it's likely going to be a couple of years before that's released.

jenarom

#500 Post by jenarom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:05 am

Zongadude wrote:
Jeroen wrote:At this point there is movement. The next release is the Classified disk (Disk 7)., expected this summer.

I'm not sure I got it all. So there are two releases (+ tour) planned this year. If I understand correctly, the two releases are "Passion & Warfare" reissue (with a 2nd disc called "Modern Primitive" ?) and then the Classified archive Release.

But I was under the impression Steve was working on a new album (of new material)...
Or is "Modern Primitive" this very new album ?
I think it's more likely that Modern Primitive is The Classified album, and not another one. I wouldn't get my hopes up. The 25th anniversary was last year.

Zongadude

#501 Post by Zongadude » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:55 am

In any case, it seems that we're going to get new Steve Vai releases this year, and that is a cause of celebration. :P

EyE

#502 Post by EyE » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 am

Nice!!

Zongadude

#503 Post by Zongadude » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:59 pm

OK, there is this new video posted by Roland/BOSS with an interview with Steve, and things are now clarified:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2x7UfxiCQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Modern primitive" is indeed the bonus disc to the reissue of "Passion & Warfare". There will also be a DVD, and Steve will then tour for a year and a half around the P&W album.
And since there is also The Classified album coming, we can say that 2016 (and probably half of 2017) will be devoted to revisiting the past.
Then, maybe, we'll get some real new music :)

(This discussion is starting to turn away from the Jewel Box topic. Maybe we should continue on a new topic ?).

gregwurth
Newcomer

#504 Post by gregwurth » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Zongadude wrote:
"Modern primitive" is indeed the bonus disc to the reissue of "Passion & Warfare". There will also be a DVD, and Steve will then tour for a year and a half around the P&W album.
And since there is also The Classified album coming, we can say that 2016 (and probably half of 2017) will be devoted to revisiting the past.
Just to clarify something for everyone Modern Primitive = Classified :D

difons
Newcomer

#505 Post by difons » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:51 am

Sure

litlgrnman

#506 Post by litlgrnman » Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 am

I still hold out hope there's Hot Chunks in our future!

:mrgreen:

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#507 Post by Jeroen » Thu May 19, 2016 5:36 am

The release date for Modern Primitive is set for June 24. If you go to http://www.vai.com front page of the site, on the sound cloud section you can hear 3 preview clips.

Also, http://www.guitarworld.com/ has posted one of the Bonus Tracks from the remastered Passion & Warfare which will also be released on June 24.

rellimmas
Newcomer

#508 Post by rellimmas » Thu May 19, 2016 12:03 pm

So, a couple of things. Very excited about the CDs and I've had a listen to Lovely Elixir and it's, well, lovely. :) And thanks for posting in the thread, Jeroen. However I do have one question. Seeing as this was posted in the 'The Official 'Secret Jewel Box' Thread' and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned previously that Modern Primitives is the Classified CD, is this really the 7th CD of the box? I don't want to sound petty but I'm just curious as to whether or not the spine of the CD has the letter 'H' on it as it's predecessor (the Piano reductions with Mike Keneally) had the 'w/o' on it's spine. For me, this does truly make it the next instalment in the box and not so much a CD that has been released for different purposes (P&W's anniversary).

Again, don't want to sound ungrateful as I cannot wait to buy the CDs and listen to them, but like a lot of people on the board I desperately want that box set to be complete one day.

Thanks in advance,
Sam.

ginsu777

#509 Post by ginsu777 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:26 pm

I want to know this as well.

Happy to have new stuff released but would like official word as to it's spot in filling the 'Secret Jewel Box'. What we have left is H-E-A-T

dutchie

#510 Post by dutchie » Thu May 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Man, I haven't been here in for ages.... I haven't thought about the Secret Jewel Box in years. Unfortunately, I've lost interest in it now. Maybe the new Modern Primitive cd should of been made part of it.

Looking forward to Modern Primitive & the new PAW. Is there still going to be a dvd released with it? No mention of it in the new press release.