Ibanez EP9 Euphoria

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

That EP9 is one beasty guitar. I like the fact that they not only changed the finish and wood, but also gave us more features like the onboard tuner.
dex

I still feel a little iffy paying $1400 for a chinese made acustic.... not many will pay $15000 for a chinese car.
People wouldn't even consider a Korean car for that money never mind chinese.
The chinese are still competing on the world market by cost of labour - that's the only advantage they have.
People buy chinese products not because they are better but because they are cheaper - if they weren't no one would be buying them.
I just don't think China are ready to compete with quality and luxury products.
$1400 can buy me a very decent Martin or a Taylor or Breedlove so I wouldn't spend it on a Chinese made Ibanez.

ilia
R1FSR

i cant understand the problem about where it is made...does it really make any difference ?...would it be any better if it said made in Japan or made in the USA ?
It would be exactly the same guitar wouldnt it ?

if it plays and sounds like it should then it makes no difference if it was made by cave dwelling people living in outer mongolia. :roll: :wink:
DiMarzio

Indeed
fp77&ep7owner

I still love my EP7. I prefer the green color over the EP9. I get a lot of positive comments about the look of the guitar. The sound of the EP7 isn't "mouthwatering" but it doesn't suck either. Steve used it to record with and it blends nicely with other instruments, so i have no complaints.

I would also like to know if the EP7 will still be made or not. So if someone knows, please tell me! If you like Vai and you need a good acoustic/electric don't hesitate to buy one.

8)
RAR!

dex wrote:I still feel a little iffy paying $1400 for a chinese made acustic.... not many will pay $15000 for a chinese car.
People wouldn't even consider a Korean car for that money never mind chinese.
The chinese are still competing on the world market by cost of labour - that's the only advantage they have.
People buy chinese products not because they are better but because they are cheaper - if they weren't no one would be buying them.
I just don't think China are ready to compete with quality and luxury products.
$1400 can buy me a very decent Martin or a Taylor or Breedlove so I wouldn't spend it on a Chinese made Ibanez.

ilia
Yay, somebody agrees with me.
RAR!

R1FSR wrote:i cant understand the problem about where it is made...does it really make any difference ?...would it be any better if it said made in Japan or made in the USA ?

if it plays and sounds like it should then it makes no difference if it was made by cave dwelling people living in outer mongolia. :roll: :wink:
Yes, it really does make a difference. If you had more experience with guitars, you would understand.

Its not a political or cultural thing, its a statistic. They just dont have a good track record of making quality products. Thats a fact. Its cheap labor over there in China, which means that Ibanez is more interested in cutting corners to save pennies rather than producing a good quality guitar in Japan.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

RAR! wrote:
R1FSR wrote:i cant understand the problem about where it is made...does it really make any difference ?...would it be any better if it said made in Japan or made in the USA ?

Yes, it really does make a difference. If you had more experience with guitars, you would understand.
I'd like to think that I have a little bit experience with guitars (and I gather that R1 has a tad as well).

But I don't understand. Specifically, I don't understand how people can judge a product like a guitar, without actually ever having hold one in their hands and testdrive it. There's a lot of crap made in China. And there's a lot of crap made in Japan. Both countries also make some very good stuff.
So what if labour is cheaper? That means more profit for them. I hate to burst your bubble (and that of the majority on Jemsite), but Ibanez' prime objective as a comercial company is to make dough in the way they see fit (and don't have an obligation to explain it to the buyers - Sorry for those who think they are entitled to that)

That doesn't mean that it's automatically a bad product. It's got a Vai stamp of approval and tour usage, i'd rather see that as something automatically good.

And what's even more amazing to me is that a whole community goes apeshit over certain comments this Ed Roman dude has made in regards to American made vs Asian made stuff (and rightly so), but is this not the very same thing? Substitute American with Japan and Asian with "China' and I see no diffrence.

No, I can't say that I understand. Please explain.

--
J
R1FSR

:roll: I know the difference between a good guitar and a bad one thanks...but as Jeroen rightly pointed out.. if Vai has put his name on it then no matter where thay are made it will be of good quality.
Normally i would agree with you that a awefull lot of stuff to come from china is crappy also as Mikey said there is crap that comes from the US ..UK..all over.

Take the label off the guitar and you would automatically presume its from Japan or America..would it then sound or play any better ?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Jeroen wrote:And what's even more amazing to me is that a whole community goes apeshit over certain comments this Ed Roman dude has made in regards to American made vs Asian made stuff (and rightly so), but is this not the very same thing? Substitute American with Japan and Asian with "China' and I see no diffrence.
Thank you! Someone else noticed this!

Funny thing is, half the shit in your house is made in, or has major components made in China. Start pulling apart all your stuff and take a look where its components are made.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the components in my Mac G5 here are made in China, and it doesn't make it any less of a computer. It works like a dream. There's no room for error there.. so I'm pretty sure that in a similar fashion, a suitable organization can be found to build guitars to high quality specs too.

Like I said in a previous post, if a company in China can meet critical quality standards of a company, then what's the problem? I doubt Ibanez's quality contol is any less stringent.

Oh, and next time you're waving your American flags, take a look where they are made...

Mikey :)
vai.com
RAR!

*sigh*

If these gutiars are indeed good, and China makes a hell of a good guitar, then you shouldn't worry about a thing, should you? They will sell themselves, wont they? They wont need justification, they wont require any defense on anyones part. They'll fly out the door as soon as the checks are cashed and Ibanez will by flying high again.

I already said I would keep an open mind and play one, I was just stating the fact that production in China is a bad sign, ultimately. I resent the Ed Roman comment, I dont listen to anything Ed Roman says, his views are extreme, thats common knowledge enough.

Yeah, my computer's components were made in China. Thats why it overheats and makes loud choking noises after two years of delightful service from it. Thats why I had to replace my Mitsubishi TV after 10 years when the sound just quit working one day, and when I had to toss my JVC stereo after it quit reading CDs and the screen quit lighting up. Thats the beauty of MIC products, and the reason I seem to think that Chinese made stuff. . .just ain't the best, in general.
brentm

I'm not sure if where its made had much relevance on the quality. I do agree with the stigmatism attached to Chinese made gear. But before it was China, it was Korea...

I did have a chance to play the new model Chinese made Ibanez guitars in the store (don't remember the model, but it was the single cut LP looking guitar), and I was really thrown back by the attention to detail. Now sure, in order to keep prices down (the guitar was 299), something had to give. I'd say the pickups weren't the best, but looking at the fretboard and the frets, and the playability... I was impressed by the attention to detail at that level.

I had a conversation with one of the guys at the store about this. He mentioned how Gibson was screwing the smaller stores by forcing them to carry models that wouldn't sell, and even Gibby had some QA/QC problems a couple years back. They were having to send BRAND NEW USA Gibson models out for finish work on the frets and other issues. Ofcouse they complained and Gibson USA gave them a credit or something, but still.

Heck, it's just today's Global Economy and the price of staying competitive. I give Ibanez credit for bringing the quality up this year, although I've yet to see a local store stock the higher end Ibanez guitars (oh sure, they can order them).
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

RAR! wrote:*sigh*

If these gutiars are indeed good, and China makes a hell of a good guitar, then you shouldn't worry about a thing, should you? They will sell themselves, wont they? They wont need justification, they wont require any defense on anyones part. They'll fly out the door as soon as the checks are cashed and Ibanez will by flying high again.

I already said I would keep an open mind and play one, I was just stating the fact that production in China is a bad sign, ultimately. I resent the Ed Roman comment, I dont listen to anything Ed Roman says, his views are extreme, thats common knowledge enough.

Yeah, my computer's components were made in China. Thats why it overheats and makes loud choking noises after two years of delightful service from it. Thats why I had to replace my Mitsubishi TV after 10 years when the sound just quit working one day, and when I had to toss my JVC stereo after it quit reading CDs and the screen quit lighting up. Thats the beauty of MIC products, and the reason I seem to think that Chinese made stuff. . .just ain't the best, in general.
Amazing. My Nissan had a fucked up gearbox and suspension system. Made in Japan btw. The keyboard of my US made Roland D-50 always has key problems. A while ago, the SCSI controller of my Silicon Graphics Indy ( "Made with pride in the US"), died and no amount of virgin chicken sacrifices brought it back alive. The powersuply of my Swedish made B&O TV blew up in the most spectecular way.

It's the beauty of products. Stuff breaks. Regardless of where it's made.

Listen, nobody forces you to buy an Euphoria - or even Ibanez. If it's not your thing, fine. You're free to do what you like. But consider this: if you dismiss something purely based on speculation and not controlling the facts for your self with your own eyes, then one way or the other, you're gonna lose out of some great stuff and the loss will be yours only.

And Ibanez *is* flying high. Just because some people on Jemsite claim that it's going like crap doesn't make it so. That's a place with a lot of interesting speculation and discussion, but it's just that - speculation.

Btw, nice to see Brentm mention Gibson. A while ago I saw a thread on a guitarbuilders forum, a guy posted a picture of an inlay stating it was his first attempt at inlay work. The replies he got was that for a first go it was not too shabby, but there were certainly issues and things that could be improved - such as cleaner sawing (the edge of the inlay was all crumbled), much less filler and better leveling. They didn't think his first attempt was a playable inlay.
He pulled one on the readers though, because it ended up to be a factory Les Paul ($$$$) inlay, new out of the box, just to show what crap he got for his hard earned dough.
brentm

Jeroen wrote:*sigh*

It's the beauty of products. Stuff breaks. Regardless of where it's made.
Here's a funny story. When I was growing up, we had a german shepard that loved to chew on things. Anyway, I asked my Dad one of those innocent childhood questions like "Dad, why don't they make indestructable dog toys?" - and he replied something like "If they did that son, the company would go out of business".

Ok, I guess it wasn't really funny... but it was a good lesson to learn... and everytime I change a damn lightbulb I think about the technology we have now (yeah, they have lightbulbs that never burn out). You think GE wants you to know that?

*steps off soapbox*

This argument/debate really has turned into a red herring. Guitars don't normally wear out nor do they break (under normal usage). I know I'll get flamed about fretwear, but yes, even frets with visible fret wear still fret notes....

To wrap my rant up here... I do know one thing for sure. Steve Vai would never endorse a poorly made guitar. He's simply got too much integrity to do that.
rob310

it doesnt matter where anything is made. you have to look at the quailtyof the product. if it plays well and sounds good then who cares where it came from. but regaurdless of where something is made every country is going to produce good things and bad things