MAC vs. PC

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
BadHorsie0312

MAC vs. PC

#1 Post by BadHorsie0312 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:50 pm

I have a vague and distorted comparison between the two operating systems. if you had to pick one, what would it be?

pa

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#2 Post by Mikey » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:54 pm

Mac by far.

Mikey
vai.com

miker

#3 Post by miker » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:41 pm

Mikey wrote:Mac by far.
Really? ...just curious. Why? List maybe the top 2 or 3 reasons if you would be so kind.

Thanks.

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:33 pm

PC, because virtually all the rest of the world uses them and there are tons of useful, often amateur, guitar/music related programs that are not compatible with MACs-such as Power Tab Editor for example. PC have their faults not least malicious viruses being written to destroy them, but because they've stolen the best ideas from Apple and incorporated their own, I think they're at least equal to, if not slightly better than MACs.

As an example, MACs were the de rigeur for CGI, and the Star Wars prequals used them to make their less than real looking graphics. But the Lord of the Rings trilogy used PCs and their CGI was brilliant-no silly green shadows on that film!

Where I work is virtually all MAC and I tried to live with one for six months but its constant crashing drove me nuts! So I bought a PC and haven't looked back since. Sure it's ugly, by it does what is says it'll do.

MAC look very cool, and they're better than PC's at some things, but to own one is like owning a Betamax video-people will marvel at the quality of the thing, but ultimately they could a dead as a dodo.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

jmchambers5

#5 Post by jmchambers5 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:45 pm

Mac's are better. I had a PC for years and hated it.

If you want a computer that does what you tell it to, when you tell it to, and quickly, buy a Mac.

And it's just better when it comes to audio applications. There's a good reason everyone uses Mac's to run pro tools.

kpxmikey89

#6 Post by kpxmikey89 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:42 pm

PC, gotta have power tab editer :D

Adriano

#7 Post by Adriano » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:16 pm

Mac, because you don't have to cross your finger when you start up it... 8)

Think (and work) Different!

Big Bad Bill

#8 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:59 am

I think Apples motto says it all! The correct English should be-

"Think (and work) differently"

This is Apple's usual attention to detail................

So, Bad Horsie, I'm sure these posts won't clear the muddy waters at all for you. Like cars, they're both computers and everyone has a preference. :wink:

Pi2plank

#9 Post by Pi2plank » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:02 am

PC

Adriano

#10 Post by Adriano » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:35 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I think Apples motto says it all! The correct English should be-

"Think (and work) differently"

This is Apple's usual attention to detail................

So, Bad Horsie, I'm sure these posts won't clear the muddy waters at all for you. Like cars, they're both computers and everyone has a preference. :wink:
:lol: And if it was a wanted mistake? :lol:

however, I think everyone can find the "truth" only trying a Mac and a Pc....

NelssoN

#11 Post by NelssoN » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:38 am

I agree that a MAC is more stuitable for some things, like Audio apps etc and may be a tad (!!) more reliable, but the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) is a lot more to own a MAC than a PC.
Spare parts, repairs and basicly any technical assistance required to run or install any apps can be almost double that of a PC.

My $0.02...

Dylan

BadHorsie0312

#12 Post by BadHorsie0312 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:52 am

Well one of my intentions was certainly to get ProTools. And you all are right, almost every recording studio uses a MAC. however, it wouldnt be my main goal on the computer, so im looking for a user friendly, day to day computer.

I was looking at those new Toshibas last night, the Qosmio. That thing is pretty sick. its got a built-in tv tuner (its unneccessary sure lol) but it is as just as much as the 17" powerbook.

thanks for all the opinions guys,

pa

Ant711UK

#13 Post by Ant711UK » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:39 pm

I use PC's for work and internet and they are great, but I use a MAC for music only and that's great too.
I don't want some crappy PC app crashing and causing me downtime when I want to record my music, so I use both.

brainpolice

#14 Post by brainpolice » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:04 pm

PC. For many reasons. Especially: Windows! Come on!

fyrie

#15 Post by fyrie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:38 pm

As a lifetime computer geek and professional programmer / hardware guy, there is really no technical reason that that a Mac is better than a PC at this point. Back in the day Macs had far better color than PCs did. This is where they got the whole reputation of being better for graphics.

In my opinion, the downside of Macs are:
- The price, and upgrade prices.
- Lack of software

Downsides of XP:
- Viruses/spyware unless you are computer savvy

That being said, some people find their Macs to be more stable than their PCs. This could be because they are installing fewer apps on the mac, and that there is less malware, spyware, viruses aimed at the mac. Both the Mac OS, and Windows XP (NOT win98) are about as stable in my experience, but as soon as you gank your XP up with viruses and spyware you are going to have speed/stability problems.

For the record, I primarily use a PC running Fedora Linux at home, which is far less stable that Mac OS or XP. I happen to like having something to tweak non-stop tho.