the DOD YJM 308 is bloody awful!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Garu_san

Hi guys,

Grr, I'm sorry but I just had to post this as I've just received my "Malmsteen signature distortion" pedal and I am livid with rage at the sound! It is the most god awful thing I've ever heard and I can't believe that Yngwie get's the sound he does through it.

Consider his setup; MkII vintage marshalls, fender strats with mid output pickups, and this "thing". None of that adds up to the silky smooth, sweet, outrageously high gain distortion sound that he is know for.

This pedal sounds thin, trebly beyond words, has very little actual gain and my amp just couldn't cope with having to adjust for the tone of it. At anything like a decent volume, with the gain up full (the only position where you don't sound like you are playing through a late sixties FUZZ box) it takes the wax out of your ears and the enamel off your teeth!

I'm disgusted with it and will be sending it back 'tout suite'!

Grrrr

Gary
Jemfever

You're absolutely right!This thing really sucks!
I played this thing in a musicstore,'cause i needed a new overdrive for my JCM 2000.It's indeed very trebly and very thin!BUT: if you have ever seen Yngwie live,you might have noticed,that he doesn't use as much gain/drive as heard on some recordings.His sustain an thickness of sound comes from his compressors.You could really hear the compression beating.The pedal you bought is not a diatortion and it's not even an overdrive.I would call it a treble-booster.
Maybe you can sell it on e-bay and then buy something really good(ds-1,ts 808 or boss sd1).
Cheers!!
Garu_san

thanks JEMfever! Finally someone who agrees with me. Well, this thing is sold as "overdrive distortion" but if it is, it's a bloody poor one. God know how Yngwie actually uses it. :(
Jemfever

Well,only God knows if he uses it!
Anyway,I don't like Yngwie's tone either,so may he use whatever he wants to use!
I hope you'll find a pedal that serves your needs!
Regards,Jemfever
Garu_san

I just went into a guitar shop and got an education. I now understand how little about electric guitar I know and that the pedal I have so ranted about is actually fine. It's my amp that's crap. (cause solid state won't work with this pedal) I feel like an idiot. :cry:
Jemfever

OK!This changes a lot!
I thought you used the DOD to push a tube amp's drive!This really doesn't work with a solid state amp.And it doesn't really make sense due to the way a solid stete amp produces drive/gain.
You see there's always something to learn,so you don't need to feel like an idiot :) Maybe you should save some money and buy a tube amp.Then you could try the dod again (and you'll still see,it sounds crappy).
Anyway,good luck to you on finding your setup!
Regards,Jemfever
Garu_san

cheers JEMfever.

Thing is, I really can't afford very much as I'm currently looking for work. What would be cheap yet not crap-sounding in the TUBE amp department? I really am open to suggestions at this point. Oh and just so you know, when he plugged the DOD into a marshall DSL100 head and 1936 2x12 cab it sounded glorious! (much to my utter agoggment!)
Jemfever

I could suggest some nice sounding amps,but you know what sounds good to my ears may sound awful to yours.
I've played/owned the following tube amps:5150,Mesa dual recto,slo 100,marshall jcm 800 and jcm 2000 dsl 100,laney vh 100r.

For five years I'm using the dsl 100 'cause it sounds best to me and serves my needs best.Some people may find it limiting to have only two channels but as i said,this amp is right for me.
Just go out, try them all and take your time.Don't hurry cause you ain't buying a pound of tomatos!Play the amps like you'll use them in your band(same guitar,same volume!!!!,if possible same effects).
Hope that helps a bit.If you don't want to pay the price of a new amp,just look into e-bay.
Jemfever

PS:make sure you know what you need:head or combo!!!!Depending on the volume you play!
satchvai

this pedal will not work with ANY solid state amps. I have one and use it with my Legacy--it is one of the best investments I've ever made. I much prefer it to the DS-1. Only use it if you have a TUBE amp. Whether or not the pedal is crap is obviously subjective....i swear by this pedal.
Garu_san

satchvai wrote:this pedal will not work with ANY solid state amps. I have one and use it with my Legacy--it is one of the best investments I've ever made. I much prefer it to the DS-1. Only use it if you have a TUBE amp. Whether or not the pedal is crap is obviously subjective....i swear by this pedal.
That's rather the impression that I've been given with it. It is NOT a distortion CREATING pedal, from what I have witnessed, it is rather a pedal to boost the saturation of a valve amp's distortion channel. BIG DIFF!

I will, when I've got some work and therefore MONEY be looking at getting a valve amp head and possibly 2x12 cab and then this thing should work AS INTENDED.

For pure distortion I really wish I'd bought a BOSS distortion pedal, but it has done me good to learn something I didn't know about the guitar (or rather it's amplification). I'm just scared that there is still a tonne of tech stuff that I'm oblivious to. :oops:
Melodic Dreamer

When will people learn? :roll:

So many people I have talked to have bought this pedal for a distortion pedal. Yngwie himself said he would never use distortion boxes, but he would rather use them for booster pedals. So his signiture pedal is a booster pedal made to boost your Tube amps distortion.
Garu_san

Melodic Dreamer wrote:When will people learn? :roll:

So many people I have talked to have bought this pedal for a distortion pedal. Yngwie himself said he would never use distortion boxes, but he would rather use them for booster pedals. So his signiture pedal is a booster pedal made to boost your Tube amps distortion.
I'm a slow learner man, and that's all there is to it. BUT, this has been a valuable lesson for me and one that I'm not keen to repeat! I will in future be getting advice before buying ANYTHING!

The trouble is that shops tend to sell (on the internet) this as an "overdrive distortion" pedal. Surely that it NOT what this thing is?

I don't have a tube amp and that's why I've got the problems that I have.
Melodic Dreamer

Garu_san wrote:

I'm a slow learner man, and that's all there is to it. BUT, this has been a valuable lesson for me and one that I'm not keen to repeat! I will in future be getting advice before buying ANYTHING!

The trouble is that shops tend to sell (on the internet) this as an "overdrive distortion" pedal. Surely that it NOT what this thing is?

Mint no disrespect
Garu_san

Melodic Dreamer wrote:
Garu_san wrote:

Mint no disrespect
None taken man. 8)
Mitch1616

BOSS Metal Zone MT-2 distortion pedal is wicked, i bought one....u can make its sounds like scarping medal or deep bellowing stuff....lots of options, although took me a while to get used to all the settings and remember what each did to the sound