"Chevy-Ford" Gibson-Fender-Ibanez-Washburn

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).

Favorite Brand Guitars (electric)

Ibanez
18%
Ibanez
18%
Ibanez
18%
Ibanez
18%
Fender
3%
Fender
3%
Fender
3%
Fender
3%
Gibson
4%
Gibson
4%
Gibson
4%
Gibson
4%
Washburn
No votes
Washburn
No votes
Washburn
No votes
Washburn
No votes

Total votes: 96

Jeff
Newcomer

"Chevy-Ford" Gibson-Fender-Ibanez-Washburn

#1 Post by Jeff » Tue May 06, 2003 5:08 am

:?: Everyone has a preference. I have a collection of 14 guitars, including (brands) Fender, Ibanez, Gibson, Washburn, Stella-Harmony.
I honestly say I like Ibanez by far (for electric). I still have to own a Fernandez which I hear have great feel and playability.
In my collection I own 2 Ibanez "Iceman"s. The standard as well as the Paul Stanley collection edition. I can feel no difference between the two except a thinner neck on the P.S. model, not to mention the P.S. model comes with a custom neck/body mount. I also have a Gibson Double-neck SG which I love. I'm not much of a gibson fan...there is just something about the sound which just doesn't hit me the same.......but come on....you have to have an SG...right......especially the Double-neck.
What are your opinions....favorite brand and model. And let me know in the average guitar-consumer price range as well as the "save for a few months" catagory.

Moderator666

#2 Post by Moderator666 » Tue May 06, 2003 6:18 am

ibanez :twisted:

Reaper

#3 Post by Reaper » Tue May 06, 2003 11:14 am

Ibanez are definately good, but there's nothing like the feel of an SG. I have an Epi G400, but I'd take an SG special (Gibson model). Picked up the G400 for $350, SG Specials usually run $700-$800 ish.

Word

#4 Post by Word » Tue May 06, 2003 7:30 pm

There's not very many guitar brands to choose from..

Where's PRS, Jackson/Charvel, Carvin, Tom Anderson, Suhr, Kramer, GMW, Performance, Hamer, BC Rich, Conklin, ESP, Peavey, Ernie Ball, Guild, Yamaha, Fernandes.. need I name anymore brands? ;) :D :lol:

But, I choose Ibanez. :D

Fink Floyd
Location: A small town in north Wales you've probably never heard of.

#5 Post by Fink Floyd » Thu May 08, 2003 12:50 am

I prefer Fender to almost all others - the only other makes that could tempt me are PRS, some of the superstrat makers like Anderson and Suhr, and particularly fine custom shop Gibsons. And the EBMM John Petrucci or a JEM7SBL.

Anyone seen McInturff guitars? They've probably been around in the States for a while, but they're only starting to get a following here in Britain. They're apparently really nice guitars, but I don't like the Taurus shape - looks really lumpy IMO.

Jeff
Newcomer

Re: "Chevy-Ford" Gibson-Fender-Ibanez-Washburn

#6 Post by Jeff » Thu May 08, 2003 2:18 am

Jeff wrote:Everyone has a preference. I have a collection of 14 guitars, including (brands) Fender, Ibanez, Gibson, Washburn, Stella-Harmony.
I honestly say I like Ibanez by far (for electric). I still have to own a Fernandez which I hear have great feel and playability.
In my collection I own 2 Ibanez "Iceman"s. The standard as well as the Paul Stanley collection edition. I can feel no difference between the two except a thinner neck on the P.S. model, not to mention the P.S. model comes with a custom neck/body mount. I also have a Gibson Double-neck SG which I love. I'm not much of a gibson fan...there is just something about them which just doesn't hit me the same.......but come on....you have to have an SG...right......especially the Double-neck.
What are your opinions....favorite brand and model. And let me know in the average guitar-consumer price range as well as the "save for a few months" catagory.

lucky99
Newcomer

#7 Post by lucky99 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:30 pm

ive owned MANY guitars over the years and still have not found the "perfect" guitar. the most beautiful one was my ibanez 7vwh...but the neck was just too wide for me to handle...steve and those damn long fingers!

i also had the ernie ball evh model and it was the complete opposite...tiny neck! also it had a blocked trem (that got old after a while) and you could not adjust the pickup height. I know that how evh likes it, but its a pain to be honest.

i recently bought a rg550 to relive my 80s youth and was very disappointed as this rg played horribly...much different than the one i had in 1987.

so far the 2 guitars that have played the best are the 2 i still own...a washburn idol (i had a different idol that played horribly) and an esp ec1000. its a les paul style and it looks and plays beautifully.

ive owned 2 les pauls and think they are the most overrated guitars made

strat = HATED it.

esp strat copy...liked it a lot, but it was a "loose" playing guitar and the Floyd that esp licenses leaves a lot to be desired.

ibanez s body....very disappointed.

washburn nuno (the expensive one...i forget if that was the n1 or the n3)...very disappointed in this one as well, although the neck was the best feeling neck i ever played. the stephens extended cutaway should be standard on every guitar ever produced...it is an unbelievable difference when playing in the upper fret registers.

kramer focus. i had this when i was 18. the action would not get low enough for me wothout buzzing so i actually ground the frets down with my dads lawnmower blade sharpener...you should have heard it buzz then! o the humanity!

best acoustic i ever had was a taylor...wish i never got rid of that thing. thats the 1 guitar i regret selling.

just my 2 cents worth.

shader

#8 Post by shader » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:36 pm

Gibson Les Paul

*drools*

Ffats

#9 Post by Ffats » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:49 pm

Carvin

:twisted:

GuitarMaster

#10 Post by GuitarMaster » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:54 pm

Well, if it is a question of the favorite out of those, instead of a favorite of all and the assumption it's those - I'd say Ibanez.

The only reason I say this is because of their concepts in design. I don't care what pickups are in it, or specifications, the important thing is the artistry in the designs. So they'd get it. But I really don't favor a company for any guitar, or amp or processor.

ScreamJem7

#11 Post by ScreamJem7 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:25 am

My Jem7VSBL is the best playing guitar I've ever played or owned.

lespaul59
Newcomer

#12 Post by lespaul59 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:42 pm

I'm a Gibson guy but I'll play any guitar I don't care if it Ibanez, Fender or Dean as long as it's not crap.

shader

#13 Post by shader » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:54 pm

*agrees*

They have different uses...

My Jem sings while my Les Paul screams :twisted:

mxer

#14 Post by mxer » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:41 pm

i done really have much preference for what guitars i like. ibanez, fender, whatever. the guitars that are versitle is what i drool over.i say"i can play this style or style and this style too,all with one guitar."Those are the guitars i buy . But if you hand me a Beneddeto Manhatten and then hand me a Dimebag Stealth,i will play them both. So basicly I'm a guitar freak and I need counseling :lol:

Matthew

#15 Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:51 pm

Ibanez JS10th is probably among one of the most sought after guitars. Ibanez is my brand of choice.