Vai Legacy vs. peavey 5150

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
pile
Newcomer

I'm about to buy either a Vai Legacy or a Peavey 5150. Can't seem to decide. I have heard that the legacy has crap parts on the inside, but the tone is awesome. What I would like to know is if the 5150 can match the tone of the lecagy. Money aside, witch one would you get?
Ffats

I'd definitely get the Legacy. It does some screaming lead tones, but it can also clean up. I don't think the 5150 goes jazzy clean very well.

Who says it has "crap parts" on the inside anyways? Please don't listen to Harmony Central reviews.. horrible site for reviews.
The Extremist

man, if this gear is designed by Steve Vai, then its totaly worth it, cause he loves stuff to be perfect, look at the Jem, Universe, Euphoria, all quality instruments, so i would invest my money in the legacy.

How much is the legacy anyways?
Pro-string strummer

anyone see a legacy in the store?... I wana get one... like now
Jemfever

I don't think the Legacy has crap parts in it,its built to last like the older Marshalls!
The Legacys clean channel is probably the best I've ever heard!The dirty channel is also great but in my opinion the 5150s dirty is better!Thats just my opinion!The Legacy and the 5150 are great amps,so i think you should check'em both out and then make your own decision.It all depends on what you think sounds best to YOUR ears!Dont try to copy Steves or anybodys sound,just try to sound like you want to sound!
Peace!
Ffats

You'd probably be able to find a used Legacy, but I doubt you'd find a new one in stores unless you live in California by a Carvin store.

Check out Carvin.com.
bkornaker1977

the 5150 has 5 gain stages, the Legacy has 4 gain stages. If you want more distrtion grit, get the 5150 ....OR use a OD or distrtion pedal in front of your Legacy for lead sounds.

Actualy....the overdrive of the 5150 has 4 gain stages, or 5 if you have the boost function on.

I had the same decision top make when buying my amp.......I choose the Legacy because its more versitile.......and didnt beat up my wallet!

and yes...the clean channel is far better in my opinion.
Big Bad Bill

I have a 5150 and I think it's distortion is absolutely amazing-nothing really compares to it for the price. It sounds just like a Soldano SLO which is apparently on what it was based. There's no need to contaminate your beautiful valve tone with a horrid solid state distortion pedal because it has bags of it on its own. What I really like about it is that I don't have to change the settings when going from rhythm to lead playing-if I want a bit of difference I simply roll the guiytar volume back a bit, but the lead sound still sounds articulate and glassy when playing rhythm. It's versitile too and if you fiddle with the controls you can get a very usable 'Vai-like' tone-it's virtually impossible to create a duff tone with it.

My ONLY criticism is the 'clean' channel. You have to be really careful to clean it up-single coils only, low pregain and use the master for volume!

I think it should be remembered that Vai isn't really known for his tone. Nobody remarks on it in interviews or gives it a special name. It's his playing everyone rants and raves about-and rightly so-he's the KING. However, EVH IS known for producing a beautiful tone-his brown sound (although I think it should be called 'sky blue' personally!) and the 5150 produces this with ease.

Before somebody says tone comes from the players hands, I heard a demo of the Legacy on CD once and it sounded EXACTLY like Steve except for the phrasing of the demo tune. When I play my 5150 I can make it sound like EVH, except my phrasing is SH*T compared to his!

One other thing-I've heard the 5150(2) doesn't have as good a lead channel as the original version, so you may want to be a little cautious about that.

I hope this helps-I suspect I've muddied the waters a bit for you, for which I apologise! :D
Magmas

In my view, the 5150 is superior to the legacy, however I must note that the 5150 sounds NOTHING like the SLO by Soldano. The gain is grittier and less smooth, and the 5150 is over all a lot noisier than the SLO. That said, it still beats the crap out of a carvin. Many people on this message board compare amps like the legacy to the other crap amps like crate, marshall, line 6, and that stuff that is out now. Of course the legacy is better than that crap, but compare it to a real amp like a Soldano, Diezel, or Bogner and the legacy now becomes the crap. It is just that nobody has high enough standards for their gear. If you really want to sound good, and dont have enough money for tons of effects, mods, and extras, just go with a REALLY SOLID AMP like a Soldano. You might have to mow a few more lawns to get it, but it is worth it. If you don't believe me, take a trip to the nearest Soldano dealer and try one out. I bet that will change your mind. 8)
Vegas_Blues

Here's my $0.02

;)

I tried a Soldano SLO100......and I didnt care for it at all (just goes to show you, whats gold for one, is garbage for another)

Dont get me wrong...the Soldano was a good amp, just not at all what I would consider an amazing amp (like, let's say Bogner). It sounded very thin and bright to me.

I also tried the 5150 2X12 combo......and I hated everything about the way that amp sounded. It sounded incredibly muddy and saturated with nasally mids. It had some cutting power, but in the end, it lacked in clarity and presence, big time. Not sure if the stacks are the same, but I wouldnt even try one after hearing the combo.

The legacy has gone through some changes since its advent, and IMO, it has changed for the worse. Most notably, the legacy now ships with Vintage 30 speakers. To me (just my opinion ;)) v30's are horribly nasally sounding. Even when paired with Mesa amps. The greenbacks were a far better speaker choice for this amp IMHO.

As for which is better.....that will be left up to YOUR ears. I, personally would choose the Legacy hands down, but I would also change the tubes (maybe Svetlana, or Mullard if I were feeling rich ;)) and ditch the v30's.

I play a Carvin MTS3200 half stack with JJ 12Ax7s......and Svetlana matched 6L6's (very bassy, but can compensate with the knob ;)) thru a cab loaded with greenbacks.....and its the best sounding amp Ive tried yet.

Anyhow, again......just my $0.02, let your own ear be the judge, and keep your tone where it belongs.....in your fingahs :D

Vegas_Blues