Legacy Amp problems

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Reaper

#31 Post by Reaper » Tue May 13, 2003 11:26 am

I would think (correct me if I'm wrong), that Steve has his cabs miked (so volume's not an issue).

Junebughunter

#32 Post by Junebughunter » Tue May 13, 2003 7:21 pm

Reaper wrote:I would think (correct me if I'm wrong), that Steve has his cabs miked (so volume's not an issue).
Keep in mind the closer to the clip level without actually clipping, in most cases the better and more dynamic it will sound!!!

I am sure he plays very loud even when miked...

NextStopEarth

#33 Post by NextStopEarth » Tue May 13, 2003 7:59 pm

just to make sure....the legacys you guys have get overdriven on the clean channel with a humbucker at about 3.5 volume? or higher

Junebughunter

#34 Post by Junebughunter » Tue May 13, 2003 8:23 pm

NextStopEarth wrote:just to make sure....the legacys you guys have get overdriven on the clean channel with a humbucker at about 3.5 volume? or higher
Are they supposed to do that, I haven't heard anything about that

NextStopEarth

#35 Post by NextStopEarth » Tue May 13, 2003 10:49 pm

Junebughunter wrote:
NextStopEarth wrote:just to make sure....the legacys you guys have get overdriven on the clean channel with a humbucker at about 3.5 volume? or higher
Are they supposed to do that, I haven't heard anything about that
Well at least more then one that the company has sent me as done that. I thought it was wrong at first, but I guess not since it happened right out of the box and some people are saying it's normall. It doesn't happen on a lower output (like single coil) pickup.

NextStopEarth

#36 Post by NextStopEarth » Tue May 13, 2003 11:30 pm

then again, I just checked the legacy site and steve's favorite settings have the clean channel volume at 5 or 6 and I always hear his clean channel as crystal clear. :? :? :?

Junebughunter

#37 Post by Junebughunter » Tue May 13, 2003 11:52 pm

Maybe that's why he has his pick ups so low :?

Allen Garrow

#38 Post by Allen Garrow » Wed May 14, 2003 7:22 am

Hey just a thought guys. When I used to use high power 120 watt VTM heads and 100 watt clean Marshall heads from the 70's, I didn't run a direct line, guitar to amp. I would imagine and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,,, but I don't think steve runs direct either. I used to have to tame my clean tone as well if I wanted volume,,, I used DiMarzio X2N and megadrives,,,, alot power in the pickup easily over drove my Marshall. I had to use noise gates, suppressors, d-hiss and compression. Eventide harmonizer also had perimeters that helped tame the single in which allowed for cleaner tone out at high volume. Just something to think about.

~A

Word

#39 Post by Word » Wed May 14, 2003 8:10 am

NextStopEarth wrote:then again, I just checked the legacy site and steve's favorite settings have the clean channel volume at 5 or 6 and I always hear his clean channel as crystal clear. :? :? :?
It depends on the pickups you are using.

Notice how Steve splits his humbuckers into singles when he uses the clean channel, meaning it won't overdrive(as easily anyway).

If you are using a high output pickup, then yeah the clean channel is going to overdrive when you use it.

It's not an amp problem, it has to do with your pickups and guitar wood. How hard you pick also has an effect on this.

Junebughunter

#40 Post by Junebughunter » Wed May 14, 2003 10:30 am

the rythem guitarist in my band has a Marshall JCM 2000, that never happens with his seymours. He played my jem through it and it never happened either

I have a 160 watt amp and it has never happened through my amp...clipping is normal, but distorting is abnormal and shouldn't happen, correct me if I am wrong

NextStopEarth

#41 Post by NextStopEarth » Wed May 14, 2003 12:10 pm

what exactly is clipping?

Junebughunter

#42 Post by Junebughunter » Wed May 14, 2003 12:31 pm

let's say you have some audio that looks like this

Code: Select all

now think of the lines as the audio's freeway...the louder it is the more width of the freeway it spans...but if it gets to loud it starts to go off the free way like this...

Code: Select all

O

A             D                              

U                   I
And since it is too wide your audio hardware that is processing it can't capture those bits of audio so it just sounds like a pop or snap...or a crack. whatever.

Ok I just wanted to do that little visual explanation...simply put...clipping is when the signal gets too loud and the equipment isn't capable of capturing such a loud signal...

NextStopEarth

#43 Post by NextStopEarth » Wed May 14, 2003 8:46 pm

I'm familiar with clipping as it applies to recording-I record with sonar 2.0XL on my home computer. But one of the main ideas of the 50-watt switch on the legacy is so you can get that clipping at lower volume levels. Anytime Something clips during recording it sounds like shit, so why is clipping in a guitar amp supposed to be a good thing?

Junebughunter

#44 Post by Junebughunter » Thu May 15, 2003 12:49 am

NextStopEarth wrote:I'm familiar with clipping as it applies to recording-I record with sonar 2.0XL on my home computer. But one of the main ideas of the 50-watt switch on the legacy is so you can get that clipping at lower volume levels. Anytime Something clips during recording it sounds like ****, so why is clipping in a guitar amp supposed to be a good thing?
clipping is bad...but being way under the clipping level is bad too...it is less dynamic and there is no range. In most cases for a typical recording you want to be as close to clipping as possible without actually clipping...the occasional "red" is ok but you got to be careful not to do that to much

Allen Garrow

#45 Post by Allen Garrow » Thu May 15, 2003 4:27 am

I'm not sure that the 50 watt option is actually for "clipping value" per say. From what I understand it was just an option so that you could over drive the amp and get that big fat sound with out having it soooo damn loud. Again, clipping is another issue which takes me back to the idea of compression and limiting.

~A