Legacy Amp problems

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Allen Garrow

#16 Post by Allen Garrow » Sat May 10, 2003 6:29 am

Dude, that rocks! From what I understand the glow is normal. I have had many other amps that did the same thing. It's just power to the tubes. I'm sure someone else will have a better definition, but burn in is the period of time that a new tube goes through, it's nothing more than breaking in,,,, the more you use it the warmer the sound will get, the metal filliments in the tube develope a distinct groove from the high heat,, sort of like curing the metal. I had found in the past like with the Peavey VTM series of the mid 80's that the more you used it, the better sound got. However I always new when a preamp tube was ready to go out,, it would sound absolutely phenominal. I heard rumor that the custom tubes like groove tubes, blue tube etc... are tubes that have some how been made or worn to the cool point. I used to buy extra tubes (a complete set ) burn the first set for about 100 hours or so or until the sound was predictable and at it's best. Then I would switch it out, and do the same with the new set. That way if there was any trouble down the road I could switch the tubes out and still have about the same sound with out having to go through break in.
Enjoy the Legacy bro!

~A

NextStopEarth

#17 Post by NextStopEarth » Sat May 10, 2003 1:07 pm

Thanks man

Just playing through the legacy a couple min ago I found a couple slight probs. The clean channel is sound a little distored on chords but only at a higher volume. And this one D note sounds like shit. It's wierd, this one note. Sounds like a blown speaker or something, but just on that note. I don't hear it on just the guitar so I don't think its that. I hope the burn in period is what needs to be done for the clean to sound better at higher volume and I really don't hope that its supposed to sound like that. Beautiful below 4. but above that I get a little nervous. I don't think I really NEED to turn it up much past 3 anyway, but would like to. god I just want I feel confident in my tone for once, at all volume level, on both channels with no BS.

I would like to hear from somebody who has a legacy stack right now. Anyone have/had this problem? Do you think this maybe could be my guitar(it seems to happen on the neck pickup)

Word

#18 Post by Word » Sat May 10, 2003 2:06 pm

I don't have that problem.

Could just be your guitar.. check the wiring of the pickup, the fret, the strings, etc. :D

Reaper

#19 Post by Reaper » Sat May 10, 2003 2:27 pm

Do you have another amp (or access to one) to compare against?

NextStopEarth

#20 Post by NextStopEarth » Sun May 11, 2003 2:14 am

I had a solid state amp and never had this problem with. It just happened that that my(solid state) amp broke as soon as I got my legacy so now the legacy is all I have at the moment. I plan on trying another guitar through the legacy as soon as possible. and also the guitar through someone elses amp.

Jeff9
Newcomer

#21 Post by Jeff9 » Sun May 11, 2003 8:06 am

In response to the D-note making strange noises. If you are using a stack, it's probably a bracing issue that can be fixed by one screw. I had a Bogner cab with this problem, every time I hit e flat, it went nuts!- Totally sounded like a blown speaker. If you find the center beam in the cab and put a screw in the back of the cab into the beam, it will stop the strange noise, at least it it did for me. Also, I have had two Lagecy combos. The first was destroyed in shipping, the second I use now. The both did exactly the same thing after turning on the standby- a strange, crusty, this thing is broken- kind of sound. But, if you let the amp warm up for 30 extra seconds with the standby switch in the "ply" position, the amp sounds great. I had it looked at, and it's totally fine, just a design quirk. Last but not least, putting really good tubes in your Legacy will make a huge difference. I liked mine when I first got it, but after a set of svetlana's I loooooooooooooooooove it! It's absolutely crushing.
My two cents-
Jeff :D

NextStopEarth

#22 Post by NextStopEarth » Sun May 11, 2003 2:37 pm

I really apreciate everybodys feedback and help on this

:D

I'm starting to think that is might actually be my next pickup malfunctioning somehow becasaue all my probs seem to happen when it's on that pickup and go away when it's on something else. But the point still remains of it only happing at higher volumes, so I don't know if that would rule out anything to do with the guitar(Jem 7v)

Jeff9
Newcomer

#23 Post by Jeff9 » Sun May 11, 2003 4:36 pm

When my Bogner cab made these strange sounds, I thought of every problem except the one that actually fixed it. A friend of mine suggested that only one particular frequency was making this brace vibrate- and yes, I believe it was only happening on one of my pickups.
Hope this might help,
Jeff

Drew

#24 Post by Drew » Sun May 11, 2003 6:33 pm

NextStopEarth wrote:The clean channel is sound a little distored on chords but only at a higher volume.
Yeah, that's called "power amp distortion." that's a goooooood thing. :) The other problem definately sounds like a loose brace- the neck pickup outs out a slightly different frequency spectrum than the bridge, and it could be enough to make something rattle. Check all the screws in the cab. Also, try it in a different room- i've had desks, etc. vibrate sympathetically before...

-Drew

NextStopEarth

#25 Post by NextStopEarth » Sun May 11, 2003 7:22 pm

Drew wrote:
NextStopEarth wrote:The clean channel is sound a little distored on chords but only at a higher volume.
Yeah, that's called "power amp distortion." that's a goooooood thing. :) The other problem definately sounds like a loose brace- the neck pickup outs out a slightly different frequency spectrum than the bridge, and it could be enough to make something rattle. Check all the screws in the cab. Also, try it in a different room- i've had desks, etc. vibrate sympathetically before...

-Drew
are you sure it's "power amp distortion" if it's not happening on all pickups? I don't exactly consider this sound such a good thing, I want a tone that you can actually tell what channel it's supposed to be on(like I can on the middle pickup).

Jeff-did you put something other then el34's in your amp?

Jeff9
Newcomer

#26 Post by Jeff9 » Mon May 12, 2003 8:32 am

No, just higher quality EL34's
Jeff

Drew

#27 Post by Drew » Mon May 12, 2003 9:15 am

NextStopEarth wrote:
Drew wrote:

-Drew
are you sure it's "power amp distortion" if it's not happening on all pickups? I don't exactly consider this sound such a good thing, I want a tone that you can actually tell what channel it's supposed to be on(like I can on the middle pickup).
Let me guess... middle single coil, bridge and neck humbucker, right? the middle pickup is a lower output, so it's not driving the amp as hard, and it doesn't push the power amp into distortion.

This is one of the things people buy tube amps for, the fact they break up at high volume. You're used to a solid state amp, which would be designed to not do this (because when they break up, it's into fizz and static), so you're used to perfectly clean high-volume tones. And if that's what you need, then this probably isn't the amp for you... But you should to be able to get this thing up well past typical "gig" levels before it completely breaks into crunchy overdrive- how loud is "higher volumes?"

As a side note, in the days before multi-channel, high-gain preamps, this was how people got "distorted" sounds- by turning a "clean" amplifier all the way up. Think AC/DC, a reasonably modern band who has made a career out of this sort of sound.

-D

NextStopEarth

#28 Post by NextStopEarth » Mon May 12, 2003 12:52 pm

it happens on the neck pickup at about 3.5 or higher, the neck pick I haven't noticed it at all turning it up past 7.

Kubusiu
Newcomer

#29 Post by Kubusiu » Tue May 13, 2003 12:19 am

NextStopEarth wrote:it happens on the neck pickup at about 3.5 or higher, the neck pick I haven't noticed it at all turning it up past 7.
Normal!
Everything is normal! That's called EL34 amp!
The neck pickup sounds louder than the bridge because it generates more bass than the bridge PU does. And the power amp can't amplifie those bass as easily as the treble. Try it on your guitar, you'll see that the low E string on the neck PU, on the clean channel, generates a sound more saturated than the high E string. It's the same with the bridge and neck PU( at least if they are balanced).
Conclusion: The neck PU will allways overdrive the amp earlier than the bridge PU will (if they are balanced) on the clean channel.
I hope i'm clear (not sure though :) )

NextStopEarth

#30 Post by NextStopEarth » Tue May 13, 2003 1:05 am

Ok I get it now. I always wondered exactly what overdrive(as in pedals) was in the first place. I always thought it was just like distortion. I just caught me by surprise because I guess I was used to that solid state clean.

So does that mean Vai doesn't turn his legacy's clean channel up much more then 3 in concert? I would think that wouldn't be loud enough for such big venue's. then again I know he's got more then one head back there.