Legacy Amp problems

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
NextStopEarth

Legacy Amp problems

#1 Post by NextStopEarth » Thu May 01, 2003 10:18 am

I bought A legacy Half stack not a month ago and I've had to send it back to the factory 3 times already. When the amp is working it's amazing.

Here's my problem with the latest one they've sent me: On the clean channel if you turn it past about 3 it gets unnatrually distorted, almost like it's blown or something. The distortion seems to work fine at any level. In my search for an answer I looked at the tubes and 2 of them were glowing blue and I thought(hoped) this was the problem so I ordered new tubes, they're free since it's still under warrenty. But I was reading these boards and it seems they're supposed to turn blue on 50w mode, which it was on.

Alot of people on this site have this amp so is there any advice anyone could offer me? Are your legacy's able to produce perfectly clean tones past volume 3? I HOPE it's just a matter of replaceing the tubes so I can actually keep this one and not have to send it back. If I can't get this to work I might have to send it back for good and try a marshall which I don't wanna do because I love the tone of the Legacy. thanks for any advice..... :?

Junebughunter

#2 Post by Junebughunter » Thu May 01, 2003 12:11 pm

That is so sad to hear...if I where you I would call Carvin, tell them to send you a box, with a new amp head in it and you put your old one in it and send it back...I have never heard of such a tragic amp head story...sorry to hear that man...

The new tubes could be the problem, and that actually sounds like it is the problem. What type of tubes did you order anyway? I hope things work out for you...

NextStopEarth

#3 Post by NextStopEarth » Thu May 01, 2003 1:53 pm

Hey thanks man,I've actually send that head back twice and the cab once and they've shipped brand new ones out to me every time. I ordered EL34's and 12ax7's(those are the ones that come with the amp. I just now got them so I hope it's the problem, I'm going to put them in now

Allen Garrow

#4 Post by Allen Garrow » Thu May 01, 2003 2:06 pm

Next stop earth,,,,, Dude I understand your frustration. I bought a Legacy 2x12 combo about 2 years ago. Oh my god,, tell you what I was stoaked to get that thing,,, I heard so many reviews,,, and couldn't get one quick enough.
Then my world came crashing down around me,,,,,, I plugged straight into it with just a horizon cable and my Universe at that time. Distorted channel sounded thin and crusty at low volume,,,, so you turn it up right? It just became hidieous at that point. I tried both variations of 50 watt and 100 watt. No use,,, the clean channel sounded fine for the most part.
The second logical thing for me was is old school would dictate "you need to drive them tubes!" So I tried running it through the effects loop into a M-eq 230 and a 3630 compressor,, you know to give more control of volume and saturation thus,,, getting that big sound without killing the fish in the bowl upstairs. Oh my god :shock: I got the worse high pitch freakin' noise I ever heard in my life! Damn near pee'd myself.
I sent it packin after having a major fit! I had sold my current rig to buy this one,,, my mistake I know. I just figured how could you go wrong,,,
Carvin + Vai = greatness.
Don't get me wrong,,,, I still swear by Carvin and Steve is still my favorite musician of all times.
However I have heard the new Legacy's and they seem different from the ones a couple of years back when they first came out. I would like to say that it is an isolated problem but if you are having issues with it 3 times in a row,,,somethings funky. Have you talked to Carvin's tech support?

I guess in a nut shell after my rant,,,, :lol: your problem isn't the first I'm sure,,,, it just seems "Fishy" that 3 in row have been messed up. Tell you what though,, I haven't given up and I hope you don't. I do plan to try another Legacy soon. I am currently selling ( reluctantly that is ) my carvin DCM1000,,,,,, sooo when I rebuild..... I may just rebuild it with a legacy.

Hang in there bro!

~A
Last edited by Allen Garrow on Thu May 01, 2003 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junebughunter

#5 Post by Junebughunter » Thu May 01, 2003 2:06 pm

Let me know how it goes!!!

NextStopEarth

#6 Post by NextStopEarth » Thu May 01, 2003 3:05 pm

Hey thanks for the encouragement. I just put the new tubes in.....Same problem.....New problem.......Already shipping this one back again waiting to receive my 4th legacy half stack.

Something else I noticed about my head, all four power tubes are turning blue but only when the standby switch is turned on. Man this thing is really killing me, I have already bought cases custom made to put the head and cab in so if I have to end up getting a complete refund on this amp I'm going to be pissed because there are no refunds on the case's. :x
I think if I just keep sending them back I have to EVENTUALLY get one that actually works!

Andrew J Dampier

#7 Post by Andrew J Dampier » Thu May 01, 2003 9:48 pm

Dude...I mentioned this over on the Metallica forum-

Did ya try plugging straight into the amp, no pedals, and nothing in the effects loop?

It'd suck to spend all that money on shipping just to find out it's been a dead battery or a bad cable....

NextStopEarth

#8 Post by NextStopEarth » Thu May 01, 2003 11:24 pm

Ya I've tried everything I can think of. I even bought a brand new cable for the ocaision. But the cool thing about it is that I don't have to spend anything on shipping. All I'm out is a few days without an amp(but this is a big inconvienience when it's gone on the few days a week my band practices and we've got a show comeing up.)

Junebughunter

#9 Post by Junebughunter » Fri May 02, 2003 12:35 pm

Things will work out...I am willingto bet they are probably sending the same amp back...

You should make some un-noticable mark somewhere on it, and when you get it back see if it is the same amp.

Anyway, things will work out, and this makes me a little wary of bying my legacy half stack

Word

#10 Post by Word » Sun May 04, 2003 9:03 am

Carvin Customer Support is amazing and it could just be getting damaged during shipping. They say it themselves, tubes or other amp components are likely to break or become loose during shipping which is why it is sometimes best to buy a tube amp from a local dealer.

I, however, bought a Legacy Halfstack from Carvin and have had it for about 5 or 6 months which absolutley NO problems whatsoever.

Junebughunter

#11 Post by Junebughunter » Sun May 04, 2003 1:13 pm

Word wrote:Carvin Customer Support is amazing and it could just be getting damaged during shipping. They say it themselves, tubes or other amp components are likely to break or become loose during shipping which is why it is sometimes best to buy a tube amp from a local dealer.

I, however, bought a Legacy Halfstack from Carvin and have had it for about 5 or 6 months which absolutley NO problems whatsoever.
Why don't they ship there amps packed in that egg crate type material with lots of packing. I have bought amps online and never had a problem because it was packed well. They should do the same considering they too sell amps.

Anyway, I will be buying a legacy stack soon

Word

#12 Post by Word » Sun May 04, 2003 1:29 pm

How well you pack it doesn't make a difference in how much damage can occur. ANYTHING can happen during shipping, and I mean absolutley anything.

Sure, having something well packed can make a huge difference in how severe the damage, but either way:

It can get dropped, thrown, rolled, stepped on, spit on, pissed on, kicked, and I'm sure a lot more done to it before it arrives at your house. It can depend on whether not a worker is having a good or bad day, if an accident occurs, something heavy could be put on top of it, etc. etc. It applies to everything shipped.

I've seen guitars that were shipped by people who have been doing this for years and know how to pack correctly and good that arrived at it's destination with a broken headstock INSIDE THE HARDSHELL CASE.

Carvin packed my amp extremley well anyway, and I believe they DID use the egg carton material.

You may have not had a bad experience yet, but sooner or later whatever can go wrong, WILL GO WRONG.

sap

#13 Post by sap » Sun May 04, 2003 9:31 pm

I bought a Legacy combo two years ago. 2-3 months after I bought it the effects loop totally gave out. I sent the amp back, they fixed the loop but when the amp came back the tone knobs didnt work. I sent the amp back, when I recieved it again the tone knobs worked but there was a hole in one of the speakers. This was the same amp I originally bought but with all the traveling the amp recieved some cuts and bruises. I complained to Carvin and they sent me a brand new amp. So far this amp has been perfect. The people at Carvin was very nice and understanding. If it wasant for their excellent customer support I probably would have bought another amp. Whatelse can you expect with mail order. :roll:

Allen Garrow

#14 Post by Allen Garrow » Mon May 05, 2003 6:45 am

Carvin is awesome with customer support, they will do what is right, just make sure that you remain professional and don't get pissy with them. Have any of you been to the Carvin show room on world trade drive in California? That place is awesome,,,totally pro. I was in heaven every guitar, bass, amp, p.a. you name it,,, every thing they make was there. They allowed me to pull down any guitar or bass I wanted and take it into the sound room and play any amp! 2 Legacy full stacks, one was set to clean, one distorted amazing place!

~A

NextStopEarth

#15 Post by NextStopEarth » Fri May 09, 2003 8:26 pm

That's true about the Carvin customer support I got the same guy on a couple of those returns and he (and the other ones) were totally sympathetic and jumped at the chance of sending me what ever might help

But to update the topic:

This I belive is the 4th Legacy head I've recived from carvin. I just got back from a healthy practice session and I have a boner about how it sounded. Clean channel was crystal clear on all pickups and the distortion sound sweet. I'm very happy about it right now. But all the tubes are glowing slightly blue when the standby switch is on, I suppose now that this is normal.

I have also heard of a "burn in" period for tubes. Has anybody heard of this and could explain it a little?

So the amp sounds perfect, I'm just a little nervous about it STAYING perfect. I really hope one of my effects isn't killing these amps over and over. I don't see how it would but I gotta think of everything.