Which Carvin Legacy do I buy?? For the Steve Vai Sound

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Magmas

Alright, I think we're all more on the same track here than we think. When I was shopping around for my amp, I played all sorts, just about whatever I could. I was leaning towards something like a line 6 or peavey but then I played a soldano and fell in love, and I simply refused to let price get in way of the sound I wanted. I don't mean to be so hard on Carvin, assuredly they sound better than most peavey's, crates, new marshalls, etc. They do not make BAD amps persay, although I have heard that they are a total mess on the inside and made with cheap pots.

It is very easy to say my amp is good for my sound and a carvin is good for yours if you haven't actually HEARD the soldano in a direct comparison. BTW, my guitar teacher is strictly a jazz player (he plays a fender twin and has amazing tone) and he loves my amp, because it is so versatile. It gets both more amazing gain and clean sounds than almost any amp out there, certainly any amp for the price.

One other thing I was contemplating: Vai used to play with soldano, bogner and marshall. Then he started using just carvins, and with no major impact on his sound. You would think taking a 180 degree turn in your equipment would be noticeable in his tone, making it either worse or better, yet his tone is only changed slightly, and not necessarily for good.

Oh, and he now uses the un-modded ds-1??? HAHAHA. Have you ever heard one of those things?

Look, it's alright, I have met people that have played guitar and bought amps for many years, and who think they know lots about what a great amp is, but who honestly cannot hear half of noise that is being created.

So, like I said before... any comparisons? Because it is my personal belief that if everyone here tried a soldano witht heir other equipment, at least half of you would switch if given the opportunity. Also, you can find soldano's cheaper than you think if you don't buy them new.

(In the end, I really don't want to argue about it, because it is OPINION. HOWEVER, HOW CAN YOU FORMULATE A VALID OPINION IF YOU HAVE NEVER PERSONALLY TRIED THE PRODUCT I AM ASKING YOUR OPINION ABOUT?) AhhhH!!!!!

8)
RAI

You're saying that it's just your OPINION, yet you insist that you're the only one that is RIGHT, and we are all absolutely WRONG, deaf, and possibly even stupid for not agreeing with you.
If it's a matter of opinion, there is no RIGHT or WRONG.
Just opinions...

You love your Soldano, and that's great.
I hope you play the h*ll out of it, and make some kick-ass music!

Party on!

:)
RAI

Oh, and I just remembered something...
Have you checked out the Ebay page on Vai.com?
They're selling one of Steve's old Soldano heads.
And even though they are (apparently) the best amp ever made, Steve still had it modded to suit his needs and wants.
Maybe they're not the perfect amp...

For everybody?

:)
davester1234

steve STARTED with carvins, switched to soldano's and bogners and marshalls, then when back to Carvins by the way. :wink:
Magmas

If I had the cash, I would mod my soldano. It sounds sweet but there is ALWAYS sweeter. Hell, even Billy Corgan mods his shit! Petrucci mods his amps, and many would argue he has a lot better tone that vai.

RAI:

My point is that YES, it is an opinion, however my opinion was gathered by trying out lots of amps, including carvin and soldano. IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO HAS ALSO TRIED BOTH AND WOULD LIKE TO COMMENT????

I think I wasn't too clear in what I was saying, but you see all I am trying to say is : DON'T DISREGARD IT OR LAUGH IT OFF AS SOMEONE ELSES OPINION UNLESS YOU HAVE HEARD IT YOURSELF. In other words, don't knock it till you've tried it... is that so hard to ask?

I don't want to hear your opinion about my preference for soldano being an opinion, I want to hear your opinion about how good a soldano sounds COMPARED to a carvin. AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

Peace
8)
badhorsie

well guys, don't kill each other...

just let me put some oil into the fire:
if i had to choose between a soldano and the legacy ( both not paid by me )
i would definetly grab the bogner xxxstasy
and never forget the jem and the g-force.

does that make sense?? :roll:

8)
and psssst...now here comes my secret way to get the perfect tone:

mix 12, ground zero, with melody guitars up .3, bass up .4, kick down .5, overheads up .4, less gain on the snare and 3db added at 10k on the Poltecs to the rhythm guitars.
we're rolling.

sorry for this stupid reply, but the discussion confused me in a way.
badhorsie.
Magmas

I would take an ecstasy over a carvin, but I have only played one ecstasy and it was quite noisy in comparison to the multiple soldano's i have played. Maybe it was just that head which was crappy.
Ryan Layton
Banned

i read a post where mikey said that steve was using un-modded ds-1's. tone is very subjective and it hasn't been kept a secret that legacy's at a low volume sound pretty bad. steve does in fact use legacys that are straight off the production line, just like every other legacy user. well, it seems like i may have read that he replaced the tubes in them for a short while, but still, its no big secret change that the rest of us can't do. a solando may sound great, but vai is a tone master, and if there is any way he can improve his sound, he'll do it.

also, it is interesting that the whole time he was using bogner and solando he was talking with carvin about an endorsment deal.
frankie

@ Magmus: Yeah i've tried both (not sure what Soldano you have though).. But in general, the Soldanos are more gainy and would be more suited towards metal etc, but are versatile too. Legacys have much more of a vintage feel in regards to the dirty channels.. Its kinda like the Legacy vs MTS series within the Carvin range.

When vai changed from Bogners to the Legacys his tone (to me) sounded more 'organic' (best word i can think of to describe it!!). With the Bogners it sounded more compressed and gainy....

But thats just me... :wink:
Magmas

Oops, I use a Soldano Decatone. I really don't use the super gain channel much anymore, except for lead stuff, the middle channel is plenty of gain and sweet tone as it is for rhythm stuff. I can churn out as much gain as Tool does at their peak by only using my middle channel. MUAHAHA! Then I can always bump it up to red for total destruction. Of course, I can switch to my clean channel and get fender twin quality crisp cleanliness.

Personally, I like vai's tone on sex and religion more than his tone now, it sounds more glassy and smooth to me, while also being more edgy.
Jyda
Newcomer

When I shopped around for a new amp, I tried several different ones, including a Soldano. I really liked it, mostly because it seemed very versatile. Lots of useful sounds. But in the end I choose the Legacy as it just has the sweetest lead tones I could imagine and a clean channel to die for. To say that it is overrun by Soldano seems very narrow sighted. You can't expect Soldano to be everyones choice for tone. Then everyone would use them... And I know it at least wasn't my final choice.
Pro-string strummer

I want a legacy 100w head... who here lives close to toronto and knows where i could get one?
Junebughunter

I sort of agree with magmus a lot...maybe not so biased but I agree...

Marshall pretty much only makes crap these days CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP. Sure you can get good tone out of the jcm stuff but it isn't comparable to the amps they used to make and the stuff other people are making

The legacy's I have recently played one and the tone is good but sort of muddy...to me it had a lot of Vai tone characteristics. Sort of the odd british'ish distortion, which IMO lacks definition but a lot of people like that.

Keep in mind just about everything mainstream made in the last 15 years is trying to replicate something made 30 years before that.

It's like we invented something, stopped making it and now we will never have it again.

There are still people that do make amps that are ground breaking.

The Mesa Mark series (ok they are old but they sound incredible), high end tube Hughes & Kettner gear, Diezel, Soldano (maybe not ground breaking but they have stuck to their guns), some VHT stuff, and pretty much everything you can buy at http://tonemerchants.com

anyway, the Legacy is good, but you just need to play it before you buy
Pro-string strummer

I would think Vai's tone on For the love of god was fucken sick, or anything EVER done by him, I also loved the tone he played with his triple neck on that g3 show in denver, sick shit, bitch
coyote
Newcomer

I have a 15 year old (from memory, so prob wrong) 100w Marshall head and just recently got the carvin 100w combo with the extension cab (basically so I can sit my gear either side of stage for bigger gigs, and not have to lug a quad around for small clubs etc.

In my opinion (which is basically just how my ears hear things) the Carvin melts the Marshall any day of the week.

I heard what people said about the sound on the Carvin being muddy, and with a few tweaks of the knobs the muddiness was removed. Another way to clear up the sound is to remove the back panel (its there to be taken off to change the sound) which "opens up" the sound and tone quite a bit.

For what its worth, to my ears the Carvin is the sweetest amp I have ever heard. Doesnt get me sounding like Steve (even with the whammy, ds1, etc etc), but I dont wanna sound like him - I want to sound like me. I will say though, that if you setup all the gear that Steve has and then play Love of God or something, it does sound pretty damn close (incidentally I used to play that song differently until seeing Steve play it live, which might be why it sounds a bit similar).

Last thing I will say is that I live in Australia and the 100w combo plus the extension cab was purchased brand new and cost me $2700AUD, and I still think its worth it and would buy another if anything ever happened to it.