Which Carvin Legacy do I buy?? For the Steve Vai Sound

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
BigBadMoFoGangsta

I want to get the Vai sound and I know that one of the things I must do to get this Vai sound is replace my current pitiful solid-state amp with a tube amp like a Carvin Legacy. Well, I went to their website and just got more confused about which one to buy. I just want one I can plug my guitar into and play at home. It would not be for gigs or even band practice since Im not in a band. Just a simple Carvin Legacy amp for home use. Im not going to spend over $400 for an amp. If there is no Carvin Legacy amp for home use that is under $400, could someone suggest an alternative that is very close to the Carvin Legacy. Please give me specific model numbers so that I know what I need to buy. Thank You.
badasstommyboy

you may be able to pick up a used legacy for around $450 to $500 if you look around carefully
shader

From what people with Legacys have told me, is you have to have those mofos cranked for them to sound good. I played one at Guitar Center, it didn't really sound that great, but i couldn't turn it up past 1 without my ears bleeding :)
BigBadMoFoGangsta

I know what you mean man. I bought a 40 watt crate amp a few years back and I never even used half of that power. Who in the hell needs a 100 watts of power. The only good use I can think of for an amplifier that has a 100 watts of power is to interrogate prisoners of war by cranking the volume to the max until they talk. :) Oh well, it looks like I may have to go another route for the Vai sound. Im still going to get a tube amp but I don't need 100 watts. Thats for damn sure. So, im still waiting for some good suggestions from someone who can recommend a good tube amp under $400. Thanks.
777?

well as far as not going the used route the best option for under $400 would probably be http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid ... id/480491/

its small but i really like this amp. lots of tone.

dont forget to check used stuff too you may get lucky.
hope this helps
Jai0705

I really want to get a Legacy, either one really, the combo or the head. But I feel no matter which one I get, I'm going to have to get a Power Brake or something to get it to sound good at in-house levels. I'm sure it'd still be worth it.
muffins
Newcomer

A really awesome small amp for home practice is the Roland Cube-30. Unfortunately, you can't get much volume out of it, but it's EQed to sound absolutely amazing at low volumes. I take it with me everywhere.

As for not needing 100 watts of power, well; It depends on your situation. What seems loud when you're playing by yourself can totally change once you have to hear yourself over a bassist and a drummer. Additionally, speakers start to sound better once you drive them. That being said, there's no need for nine 4x12 cabinets either.

I love the portability of a combo, but I'm happiest playing with a half-stack. (Which, unfortunately, is only during rehearsals)
Junebughunter

keep in mind 100 watts is only 2x louder than 10 watts not to mention the ohms change just how loud things are too.

Keep in mind volume/spl (sound pressure level) is how much air is being pushed and all watts do is add more electricity going into the magnet of the speaker to push the cone. You can only get so much volume out of one or two speakers so the best way to have more volume is have more speakers. Wattages have very little to do with volume. It is more of a tone thing...

and I am tired of hearing you so called electic guitar players say "hmmm who needs 100 watts it is too loud" what the heck are you? Obviously not a electic guitarist...maybe you should go play spoons or something

Just kidding :P

I actually play most of the time with 50 watts into a 2x12 stand up slanted cab. I get plenty volume from it but occasionally I need more.

I also have a 160watt combo amp made by fender that will kill your ears.

Believe me lets say you are outside and someone is playing at 2 on a 100 watt marshall jcm half stack, and someone else is playing at 6 the guy at 6 is just gonna have better tone.

About the legacy...I have never played one, and I don't see how you could find one in a guitar center either. but from what I hear they sound good, but unique so try before you buy
Bono

I think that buying something just because somebody endorses it without having tried it before is a bad idea...you'll most likely regret it. Buying Vai's complete set up - amps, guitars and pedals, won't get you his tone. I strongly suggest you try before you buy. Having said that, I've tried one and they are great 8) But thats just my opinion...
satchvai

i have my setup pretty close to vai's. I never really wanted to sound lke him, i just wanted good lead tone and that's exactly what I have. I don't particularly care for products just because of their endorser, i buy them because i like how they sound. The legacy is amazing, but it does help to have a good guitar going into it. My setup includes--Jem77Fp>>Morley Bad Horsie>>>DOD YJM308>>>Legacy head and matching cabinet. If you are worried about volume i would get the Combo, but either way if you get a good overdrive pedal ( i reccommend the YJM) you can get away with playing on lower volume without sacrificing too much tone by turning the level on the pedal up.....good luck
vukvai

Well i dunno about a Legacy for under $400, maybe a beat up one that Vai used for spankin dudes form Kerrang,BUT i would definately recommend one,mine was $2000 at the time and it ROCKS,one of the best i even owned(best combo).
The only thing i got to say is:
WHY do you wanna be like Vai,lets face it , you will never be Vai, or nowhere near it (well...maybe)...Be yourself,and do it for yourself so your happy
And remembe: Buying a Carvin Legacy WONT make you play like Vai or make you soun like Vai; only if you had all the pieces of gear that Steve has might do it...But then...you jut a copycat, and not yourself :wink:

Practice,Practise,Practise
NOT!!!

well, be careful!

It matters what of Vai´s sound you like...if you like HIS sound, you have to play like him, study his work etc.! You know, Vai will sound like Vai playing your amp with a Gibson Les Paul! Or an amp for $ 100! That´s his playing style, you won´t get this with his amp! It would make you wonder, why it doesn´t sound like Vai if he let you play his guitars...because it is YOUR style you´re playing!

If you really are looking for Vai´s amp-sound (like I asked before)...go buy his amp ;).

BTW:

If you take out the 2 tubes in the middle you can change your 100 Watts into 50 Watts! But keep the impedance in mind! It goes x 2!
Magmas

You have to take into consideration that Steve's equipment is modded to all hell. His Carvin is waaaayyy better than any stock carvin you could ever buy. There are guys who do nothing but modify amps for the likes of steve vai and john petrucci. Do you think Petrucci could get that tone from just a plain old boogie mark 4? He's got 3 and they're all modded to high heaven. If you want to sound like vai get a vintage marshall, or a soldano or a bogner and an eventide harmonizer. Oh, and then you've got to put in 20 + years of torturous practice and perfectionization. The sound is in the fingers, not the equipment. Vai would sound good through a 5 inch fender POS amp. The sooner you realize that the sooner you can start to improve as a guitarist and focus on shaping your technique to create the sound your ears want to hear.

peace
Junebughunter

Magmas wrote:You have to take into consideration that Steve's equipment is modded to all hell. His Carvin is waaaayyy better than any stock carvin you could ever buy. There are guys who do nothing but modify amps for the likes of steve vai and john petrucci. Do you think Petrucci could get that tone from just a plain old boogie mark 4? He's got 3 and they're all modded to high heaven. If you want to sound like vai get a vintage marshall, or a soldano or a bogner and an eventide harmonizer. Oh, and then you've got to put in 20 + years of torturous practice and perfectionization. The sound is in the fingers, not the equipment. Vai would sound good through a 5 inch fender POS amp. The sooner you realize that the sooner you can start to improve as a guitarist and focus on shaping your technique to create the sound your ears want to hear.

peace
I think a lot of what you just said was bs. Maybe petrucci's stuff is modified but I thought vai played it stock. Maybe one of his heads he uses 6L6's or something which isn't a modification but I haven't heard anything about his amp being modified
Klax

I disagree that it's all in the fingers.

If you hit an open A with on any of the major guitarists' rigs, most will be discernably different. As I mentioned in a guitar thread, Joe Satrianis system sounds thin in the nids and mid highs compared to Steves.

That said, duplicating the sound of Steve Vai, or anyone else, will be tricky on another level. Most of us don't have back up guitarists in order to play three seperate lines for a phrase that you hear on an CD.

It's the fingers, the gear, the mods, AND the production.

I bought a Jem because I don't think that there's a way to approach Steve's sound without an alder bodied guitar and similar pickups to what he uses. Beyond that, it's going to be trial and error to get the sound I want. Duplicating Steve's equipment is certainly the best path to his tone. Obviously style is another issue altogether.