Recording engineering books

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
chrose1201

My son wants to go to recording/engineering school. Some of the comments though that I have received from people who went to such trade schools is that basically he will never be able to recoup the cost of tuition.
To paraphrase: “The recording industry is completely dead and 99% of the major studios have already been closed for years now. He would never be able pay off the tuition with money made from audio/his education.
It just doesn't exist unless you want to work in a live venue situation, and you don't need school to do that. The school is turning out hundreds of "audio engineers" every year but no new jobs are being created in the industry.
Considering this he may want to learn on his own and do apprenticeship type situations where he can find them. So in the interim can anyone recommend any good books on recording engineering, home studios, etc?

Thanks!
Jeries

I live in Phoenix AZ
in Tempe, AZ is the worlds greatest world renowned most amazingly great super awesome recording school in the world- called The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences

I think nothing but horrible things about it--

and it shares similarities with MOST recording schools,
- it's not accredited, so the degree itself is worthless
- around town it's a daily occurance where 1- you get approached by a student to record there for free, or 2- you run into the worst recording you've ever heard by a local band- and it was recorded for free at the conservatory)
- they have good gear, great gear- and some teachers have impressive credits.

people from ALL OVER THE WORLD TO GO HERE

but- i think you're better off learning on your own and picking up coffee and M&M's for a producer/engineer in a studio and learning from them that way then bothering with this school...

you don't graduate there and just walk into the studio with Aerosmith the next day- idk if they advertise that they do gig posts/job placement but the opportunities for graduates after are slim.
they'd be better off working at a studio somewhere for free, or investing the money into gear or moving to a better city for music than going to the conservatory.

Most community college have 2 years worth of recording classes and electronic music classes

To reference your original post- if he's considering recording school he should already have extensive knowledge in this- it's not the kind of school you walk into as a blank slate- some of the students that go there already have $100,000 in gear in their house. He should already have a decent home studio set up (you can get a great setup for all together under $1000 today)

I would recommend a community college to get started into recording

my only problem with your question is you say he'll never be able to RECOUP THE COST OF TUITION--
strippers get boob jobs to make more money as a stripper
teachers get masters degrees to get more pay....

you don't go to recording school to make more money in recording... the recording/live sound classes/stuff i've taken for fun as electives taught me nothing i didn't already know (actually i learned what the PFL button on a mixer means- i didn't know what that was before hand- now i know)

so anyway people don't go to recording school to earn more money or make the money back- they do it 1- to meet people, 2- to hopefully get hooked up in the future with a future and 3 to learn more about recording- so it's really a 'hey i need to/want to learn this crap' more than a career path kind of thing- and a better jump on his career is getting starbucks and M&Ms.

and you never know where those things lead.

I don't think the recording industry is completely dead- it's the most alive it's ever been- however, bands don't drop $30,000 anymore to record one album... recording studios (unless your name is madonna) don't spend $400,000 on the recording of albums today-- HOWEVER- you can build from scratch a professional studio from what it costs to make a demo a few years ago. I succeeded in a goal i thought i'd never accomplish- getting something i recording at my house on the radio. I've had a 'home studio' since i was 15

there's also some live sound engs that make more money than the bands on stage, and i don't know how to use a $800,000 Digidesign Live Mixer. But someone needs to. And there is always a demand for high end engineers to work on the commercially releasable/big budget stuff. Is school going to get you there? no- shaking hands with strangers and celebrities? yes

so anyway- -any questions??
ernzzz

It's a bit generalist, but perhaps you could try this:

http://artandscienceofsound.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's an introduction to sound recording by Alan Parsons himself..

It dosent really tell you any magic tricks, or turns your ears or mixes into gold; but if you are a complete begginer, i think it serves well the job of explaining the basic things about all the recording process.. he talks about effects, microphones, mixing tables, recording situations (ac guitar+voice, band, chorus..).. and he-s a funny guy, so at least it is good entertainment..

In my opinion, tho, all you need to know can and has to be learned hands-on, with real equipment, on real situations.. It's not that hard at all, specially today when technology is out there ready to be used..

If you have regular equipment, or good equipment, common sense, and you know what you want to achieve, you can easily do a decent work.. it just takes some time to develop the ears and that kind of common sense..