Carvin Legacy II Does Steve even still use them?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
purpledc
Newcomer

I saw a quote awhile ago from stever where he said he was into the new axe fx and was running it through his legacy II and legacy heads. I asked about this over on the carvin forum but everyone is pretty hush hush over there on this topic. Im curious because since the amp has been released steve has done very little press for it. I know he said at one time he wanted to make the sound clips for it before anyone else and now they had neil zaza playing on it in videos instead of steve. Im just wondering if he is still using the legacy II at all. The last live performance I saw of him on TV he was using his original legacy. I also see that steve sold at least one of his legacy II heads. All this combined with his liking of the axe fx has me wondering if hes pulling a Satch and getting away from carvin all together. Anyone got any ideas?

Regardless, I have a legacy II on the way which is why my curiosity is so peaked.
Jeries

last time i checked and have seen of late- at almost all appearances i've seen legacy 1's

NOW- here's what i really want to know>
with the axe fx- is the legacy being used as a preamp? or a slave power amp for the axe fx

If i had to bet $1-
i bet he's using the Axe for everything and the Stereo Outs of the AXE go into the FX return of the legacy-

My guess is they're just used as a power amp- idk though
either way ONE definitely is being used as a slave/just a power amp- you'd only use one legacy for a preamp anyway and feed the other one.

I got a Legacy 1 a few weeks ago- the price was INCREDIBLE
I was not happy at all with it-
the cleans were great-
but i wasn't happy with the distortion at all... even with Vai's settings

so... i took it back.

Cleans were great but wasn't worth keeping it just for the cleans...

so i got a bunch more mesa boogie stuff and a marshall
purpledc
Newcomer

vai is quoted as saying ,"I’m running the send out of the back of my Carvin Legacy II into the Axe-FX and then back out of that returning to two Carvin Legacy heads"

I would have to bet the farm that the legacy is simply a power amp. Im really curious why he isnt using the II.

As for the legacy I i totally understand. The dirty channel on that amp only gives you something good at volume levels that would kill normal people and even then to me its too honky. But ive been assured that the II is much different. Ive also seen a lot of vids and heard tons of sound clips to be sure its gonna be killer. If all else fails Ill blend it with my 6534+ and see if I can use it.
Jeries

i was excited about the Legacy II

i was in LA and went to the carvin shop next to mesa boogie and guitarcenter (in hollywood)

played the Legacy II right went it came out-

anddddddddddd

i wasn't a fan really-

I'd much rather have Clean Distortion Crazy than Clean Boostyclean and Distortion

i also realized in the last few weeks
I'm more of a Mesa Boogie guy than anything

i think i'm going to ditch the marshall and just use the Axe for marshall sounds- maybe buy BACK an Eleven rack- really liked the tone/feel of the marshall sounds

i picked up yesterday a Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp and i'm blown away by it so much i'm going to trash the Triaxis

I will be honest- i think the axe is semi overrated and there isn't that huge of a gap in tone/feel from an 11rack to an axe- regardless of what you see everywhere- but the main difference is 100amps/100effects vs 10-15 amps 10-15 effects

BUT the axe can do everything and it does it will
every effect imaginable up to a 40 x repeater delay...
super controllable autowah stuff
and a great harmonizer/shifter that blows away an eventide and anything else with tweakablity

and overall the axe has so much tweakability- its insane
purpledc
Newcomer

Jeries wrote:i was excited about the Legacy II

i was in LA and went to the carvin shop next to mesa boogie and guitarcenter (in hollywood)

played the Legacy II right went it came out-

anddddddddddd

i wasn't a fan really-

I'd much rather have Clean Distortion Crazy than Clean Boostyclean and Distortion

i also realized in the last few weeks
I'm more of a Mesa Boogie guy than anything

i think i'm going to ditch the marshall and just use the Axe for marshall sounds- maybe buy BACK an Eleven rack- really liked the tone/feel of the marshall sounds

i picked up yesterday a Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp and i'm blown away by it so much i'm going to trash the Triaxis

I will be honest- i think the axe is semi overrated and there isn't that huge of a gap in tone/feel from an 11rack to an axe- regardless of what you see everywhere- but the main difference is 100amps/100effects vs 10-15 amps 10-15 effects

BUT the axe can do everything and it does it will
every effect imaginable up to a 40 x repeater delay...
super controllable autowah stuff
and a great harmonizer/shifter that blows away an eventide and anything else with tweakablity

and overall the axe has so much tweakability- its insane

Well from what you said actually puts my mind at ease a little. Im not a mesa fan to be honest. Ive owned them and really tried to like them but they just arent for me. But i aint got no beef with them, its just never been my sound. So to hear a mesa fan say the legacy II wasnt for them actually makes me think it could be right up my alley.

But you see its also because of the fact that it doesnt have an insane distortion that I want one. I much prefer the sound of a lower grit amp that is pushed with a tubescreamer. Heck, even my peavey 6534+ which has gobs of gain is used in that same fashion. But Im looking now for an amp that has a broader spectrum of tones instead of an amp that is a one trick pony. I figure if im gonna run a boost regardless then its not important how much gain the amp can produce on its own. Plus I really dont like how most high gain amps sound and just prefer the sound of a jcm800 being slapped in the face with an overdrive instead of that modern high gain tone.
Jeries

let me also mention something-

i didn't like the Carvin because it wasn't high gain... or a similar to a mesa boogie level of distortion-

i didn't like the distortion because it sounded 'cheap'- almost fizzy/and fuzzy in a bad way

I thought the distortion on my old, first tube amp- Crate Blue Voodoo sounded better.

it felt very weak and breaking up, not rich like a marshall or a boogie...

it might be great for some people- not me though.

I love the mesa sound, i love the mesa gain- its me

i do think the quality is like none other- (although Carvin is all 100% made in the US too)

I dont know if you know about the production of a mesa- but the testing in the factory and quality control is insane...

they build the amp- then beat the crap out of it with the end of a hammer to see if it effects the tone generated on the meter... they even beat the tubes up with the end of the hammer... then fix any issues if there are any... then switches them on and off a billion times... AND they're all set up and run on high for 24 straight hours and without turning them of tests them again to make sure its perfect...the quality of mesa amazes me esp their cabinets- marshall cabs today are awful i'd never use one.

Meanwhile marshall is building awful things in China, very few things in England and very few things good at all

I'm going to ditch my Vintage Modern for a DSL

a JCM 800 (not cheap) might get you the mild distortion thats great when overdriven

Mesa makes a FORMULA amp and preamp thats more clean and has some mild gain stuff- Petrucci uses it for cleans i think

BUT the Legacy II might be a great choice for you- and really give you great stuff mixed with different pedals/overdrives esp with the second channel which might be great for you
paulh123

now i use a legacy 1 but i did buy a new legacy 2 and i had the same conclusion with the gain channel,i hated it!it was buzzy and grainy,lacked gain and no matter what i did i just could not get a good sound out of that channel and returned the amp pronto!
yet the legacy 1 i really like and has been my main amp for the last year and a half and i still love it,its the nearest amp sound i can get that sounds like steves guitar work on eat `em and smile.
DomitianX

Seeing as the Legacy 1 is end of lifed and no longer manufactured, I am sure you will see Steve with Legacy IIs more often.

I prefer the Legacy to a Boogie, at least most Boogies these days. I am so tired of that Dual/Triple Rectifier sound you hear all the time. I like the Stiletto though. The legacy is a nice buttery smooth distortion that you can really push well with a stomp box up front if you need that extra gain.
purpledc
Newcomer

Jeries wrote:l
they build the amp- then beat the crap out of it with the end of a hammer to see if it effects the tone generated on the meter... they even beat the tubes up with the end of the hammer... then fix any issues if there are any... then switches them on and off a billion times... AND they're all set up and run on high for 24 straight hours and without turning them of tests them again to make sure its perfect...the quality of mesa amazes me esp their cabinets- marshall cabs today are awful i'd never use one.
This im sorry just seems a little exaggerated. They dont "beat the crap" out of the amps. If they did you would literally be buying an amp that looks like its been beaten to crap. I know they take small ball peen hamers like those used by watchmakers and tap on tubes and knock the chassis a little to test for microphonics but your making it sound like they sign up each amp in the army for a tour in the sandbox before they allow the amps to be purchased by ordinary humans. Im not saying mesa makes a crappy product but I dont think they are anything supernatural. If mesa is your thing I can totally get that as a lot of people like them. Ive owned a few but just never found my sound with them. The only thing I will totally agree with you on is the cabs. Mesa IMHO makes the best sounding cabs Ive ever played. Which is odd. Even if you have a cab from another brand with the exact same speaker in it the mesa will 9 times out of 10 sound better.

On the china thing, it really doesnt bother me. Many many things are made in china these days. Hell a toyota is more american than the camaro is. Aside from actual guitar (and only because China simply hasnt caught up yet on them) I tend to judge things based on their quality. Not where the country they come from. To say china isnt able to make a good amp is to say that the chinese race is inferior to americans and their ability to excell. I just cant think that way. And at the end of the day a marshall 1960A is brittish, the mesa? american. The speakers in both? china.
purpledc
Newcomer

DomitianX wrote:Seeing as the Legacy 1 is end of lifed and no longer manufactured, I am sure you will see Steve with Legacy IIs more often.

I prefer the Legacy to a Boogie, at least most Boogies these days. I am so tired of that Dual/Triple Rectifier sound you hear all the time. I like the Stiletto though. The legacy is a nice buttery smooth distortion that you can really push well with a stomp box up front if you need that extra gain.

Well this is why im wondering if Vai will be using carvin at all? Im kinda curious to see if there was a fall out between them and wondering if vai will move on to a different company like satch did with peavey. Even when the legacy II was introduced most of the time you would see vai perform with the legacy I. Im kinda wondering if Steve will go Axe fx only. Plus the guys at carvin are being really hush hush on the topic which isnt normal for them.
Bryceybhoy

purpledc wrote:
Well this is why im wondering if Vai will be using carvin at all? Im kinda curious to see if there was a fall out between them and wondering if vai will move on to a different company like satch did with peavey. Even when the legacy II was introduced most of the time you would see vai perform with the legacy I. Im kinda wondering if Steve will go Axe fx only. Plus the guys at carvin are being really hush hush on the topic which isnt normal for them.
I wouldn't read too much into what the Carvin guys are saying (or are not saying).....because everything with Steve these days is hush hush. Nobody says anything. I'll be surprised if he switch amps. I suspect Carvin pay him A LOT of money to represent their brand.

I have Legacy 1 and the distortion channel is pretty poor. But you won't read anything different elsewhere on the net. It's just the way it is. Get yourself a modded DS-1 and you'll be fine.
DomitianX

I love the distortion on my Legacy 1. With the right pickup combos, and maybe a overdrive up front if you need a little more oomph, you get a nice smooth tone out of it.
purpledc
Newcomer

Well I got it. The general consensus was right. Just not for me. I know peavey amps dont get a lot of respect especially with the mesa crowd but ill tell you my 6534+ is the amp for me thats just hard to beat. Its not fizzy like the 6505 and it has the balls of the original 5150 amps. Combine that with the fact that I put some JJ e34ls in it and some new pre's and I just havent found anything that can top it. Though, Im very interested in trying an Engl but I think they are way too expensive and kinda hard to find and get work done on them. Anyhow the legacy II will be leaving the stable. Id rather have someone own it that will think its their dream amp rather than me play mad scientist and try and get it to sound the way I wanted it to sound.
Big Bad Bill

Reading this thread, and others about the Carvin Legacy, I'm amazed that they generally have a less than glowing reputation. To suggest that one might require an overdrive pedal in the front of what's supposed to be a high gain rock guitar player's custom amp to get the oomph you require seems ludicrous to me. Others might see this as 'flexibility', but I see that as a limitation. An amp like the Legacy should be designed to produce the loveliest distortion you've ever heard because that's what the majority of people would want it for and even a fairly cheap tranny amp can produce glass-cutting clean sounds. Instead, I suspect Steve uses all sorts of stuff, not least his guitar, to get his unfeasibly mid-thick, but articulate sound, and of course, the 'tone is in his fingers' :wink: After all I've read, I have to say I wouldn't touch a Legacy I or II with the end of my guitar lead. Instead you will find my jack plug thrust firmly into the high gain socket of my original Peavey 5150 amp! Gods, I love that amp.....
DomitianX

The Legacy is not a "high gain" amp. Not by today's standards anyways. Its not marketed by Carvin as a high gain amp either. Its a meaty rock amp.