Small tube amps...

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am

ok...
my 5 watt head- IS ONLY A HEAD AND DOESNT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT SPEAKERS it also has 3 different ohm output... it works great with 2x12s and 4x12s... it also has no distortion so if i'm playing with a band i'd need a preamp for distortion, i could put a pedal with it but it would sound like shit- i used the preamp for compression and the built in noise gate which can't be beat...

and yes
15 x 2(sound)= 150
5 x 2(sound) = 50

TO DOUBLE THE SOUND/VOLUME/OUTPUT/WHATEVER OF AN AMPLIFIER YOU MUST MULTIPLY THE WATTS BY 10 (not 2)

so once again...
to double the sound of a 100 watt marshall stack you would need an amp that is 1000 watts...( a 200 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 100 watt amp)

the following i was going to erase before submitting but i decided to keep it in...

and AMP refers to an amplifier- so my 5watt amplifier is just that an amplifier NO SPEAKERS= head
go to a pawn shop or PA shop or a car stereo shop, but an amp or amplifier and see if whatever the handed you has speakers in it (it doesnt)

you 12 watt thing you plug your guitar into is a COMBO AMP

hmm now i'm depressed,, now that i've been told that my 5 watt tube head isnt capable of playing gigs on its own... hmm what will i ever use to make it better... oh wait- i'll just use my $3600 bob bradshaw modded mesa boogie road king head.

Now... to sum up....again....

watts mean nothing, watts are bullshit- watts really dont mean anything
if you want to see bullshit useage of the word WATTS look at car stereos they quote them in the 1000-10,000 watt range all the time

watts doesn't mean louder...
however because people are electronically retarded so guitar amp manufactures probably use it as a selling point to make people think MORE= BETTER

so they use big wattage numbers to get you to buy something...

should i buy the 50watt randell or the 100 watt marshall?
100 watts sounds better and louder and hell its twice as loud...

its not---
to double the sound/volume you must MULTIPLY the watts by 10 (not 2)

to double the sound, the actually SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL in a room you need to multiply the watts by 10- you need ten times the watts to double the sound

now everyone say it with me

you need ten times the watts to double the sound...

any questions?concerns?comments?
Fanch
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 pm

Jeries wrote:ok...
my 5 watt head- IS ONLY A HEAD AND DOESNT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT SPEAKERS it also has 3 different ohm output... it works great with 2x12s and 4x12s... it also has no distortion so if i'm playing with a band i'd need a preamp for distortion, i could put a pedal with it but it would sound like shit- i used the preamp for compression and the built in noise gate which can't be beat...

and yes
15 x 2(sound)= 150
5 x 2(sound) = 50

TO DOUBLE THE SOUND/VOLUME/OUTPUT/WHATEVER OF AN AMPLIFIER YOU MUST MULTIPLY THE WATTS BY 10 (not 2)

so once again...
to double the sound of a 100 watt marshall stack you would need an amp that is 1000 watts...( a 200 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 100 watt amp)

the following i was going to erase before submitting but i decided to keep it in...

and AMP refers to an amplifier- so my 5watt amplifier is just that an amplifier NO SPEAKERS= head
go to a pawn shop or PA shop or a car stereo shop, but an amp or amplifier and see if whatever the handed you has speakers in it (it doesnt)

you 12 watt thing you plug your guitar into is a COMBO AMP

hmm now i'm depressed,, now that i've been told that my 5 watt tube head isnt capable of playing gigs on its own... hmm what will i ever use to make it better... oh wait- i'll just use my $3600 bob bradshaw modded mesa boogie road king head.

Now... to sum up....again....

watts mean nothing, watts are bullshit- watts really dont mean anything
if you want to see bullshit useage of the word WATTS look at car stereos they quote them in the 1000-10,000 watt range all the time

watts doesn't mean louder...
however because people are electronically retarded so guitar amp manufactures probably use it as a selling point to make people think MORE= BETTER

so they use big wattage numbers to get you to buy something...

should i buy the 50watt randell or the 100 watt marshall?
100 watts sounds better and louder and hell its twice as loud...

its not---
to double the sound/volume you must MULTIPLY the watts by 10 (not 2)

to double the sound, the actually SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL in a room you need to multiply the watts by 10- you need ten times the watts to double the sound

now everyone say it with me

you need ten times the watts to double the sound...

any questions?concerns?comments?
OH!!! SUDDENLY yOU DECIDE THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HEADS AND NOT SMALLL TUBE AMPS? Did you read the title before you posted?? Did you read my post before you posted??? Did you know a Valve JR( AS YOU POSTED) was (since this is a tread about small tube amps) also a small tube amplifier, with SPEAKER, LIKE MOST SMALL TUBE AMPS, NOT JUST AN AMPLIFICATION HEAD AS YOU CLAIM? Jerries, why did you post on this thread at all??? AGAIN, THIS THREAD IS ABOUT SMALL TUBE AMPS, not fictional bullshit about 5 watt heads. There is a difference, again, look at the thread title before you post.

Wow! By your rationale, to be TWICE as loud as your 5 watt amplifier/small tube ampfilier, you need 500 watts!!! :lol:


Look forward to the 5oo watt Carvin head! :headbang


Giggling madly while going over decible readings.
Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am

Fanch wrote:Did you know a Valve JR( AS YOU POSTED) was (since this is a tread about small tube amps) also a small tube amplifier, with SPEAKER, LIKE MOST SMALL TUBE AMPS, NOT JUST AN AMPLIFICATION HEAD AS YOU CLAIM?
Wheres the speaker...?

Image
Fanch wrote: Wow! By your rationale, to be TWICE as loud as your 5 watt amplifier/small tube ampfilier, you need 500 watts!!!
no be twice as loud as a 5 watt amp you'd need a 50watt amp

and to be twice as loud as a 50 watt amp you'd need 500 watts

so 500 watts is ONLY THREE TIMES LOUDER than 50 watts...

i didn't make this shit up or even invent it...its just how it is

GUITAR MYTH #2. Double Watts is Double Volume

Ryan: “This seems to fool a lot of new players. We hear logarithmically, so double watts is not double volume.”

Amplifiers create changes in air pressure which our ears hear as sound. In general, doubling the number of watts will double the sound pressure level. But it takes around ten times the sound pressure level before our ears hear the volume as double. This gives us a ballpark figure that it takes around ten times the wattage to double the volume. So a 100 watt amp will only sound slightly louder than a 50 watt amp.

In the real world, the volume of a speaker depends on a lot more than the number of watts going through the amp. The size and number of speakers, and the power efficiency of the circuitry also play a large part.


http://blog.audiojungle.net/general/8-g ... u-believe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
notavirtuoso
Member
Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

wiki wrote:A 5-watt amplifier is perceived to be half as loud as a 50-watt amplifier (a tenfold increase in power), and a half-watt amplifier is a quarter as loud as a 50-watt amp. Doubling the power of an amplifier results in a "just noticeable" increase in volume, so a 100-watt amplifier is held to be only just noticeably louder than a 50-watt amplifier.

Also: Amp myths
Dude from above article wrote:1) My 100-watt amp is twice as loud as your 50-watt amp. This is one of those really sad myths that just won't go away in spite of volumes of empirically and mathematically proven, unambiguous, clear, undisputed, scientific knowledge to the contrary – knowledge that every tech worthy of a soldering iron learned very early in their training. Music store sales weenies on commission love this myth because it's sold thousands of 100-watt stacks (not to mention the follow-on sales of expensive replacement tube sets). Here are the facts:

* All other things being equal, a 100-watt amp will be just perceptibly louder than a 50-watt amp. It takes about a ten-fold increase in power to double perceived volume. That's right, you'd need a 500-watt amp to be "twice as loud" as your buddy's 50-watt amp. Even more thought-provoking is the fact that a 50-watt amp will only be perceived as a little bit louder than a 15-watt amp driving the same cabinet!
* All other things are almost never equal. There are so many variables controlling sound pressure level (SPL) and perceived volume that it is quite common for a small amp to sound louder than a much more powerful amp.
* Cab design, speaker size and efficiency, signal compression, and several other factors have far greater impact on perceived volume than does power level.
* The initial purchase price of a 100-watt amp will be significantly higher than a 30-watt amp with similar features.
* It will cost you signficantly more to re-tube a 100-watt amp.
* If you are driving a 30- or 50-watt amp hard enough to require frequent re-tubing, chances are very good that you will also drive the 100-watt amp hard enough to require frequent retubing (at significantly higher cost).

Am I saying 100-watt stacks are evil? No. No one really needs one (see below) but if you want one be my guest. All I'm saying is that you should be aware that you are spending a lot of money to purchase a miniscule increase in volume.
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

Fanch, keep it low, Jeries is completely right. So is notavirtuoso, even if he only quoted :lol:. Just get deeper into stuff before you act like this. We´re talking about tube amp wattage, not about transistor amp wattage.

There you have the formula to calculate your loudness.

X% louder = 2^log10(P2/P1) * 100%
User avatar
notavirtuoso
Member
Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Only quoting prevents me from being an ass. :lol:
Fanch
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 pm

OK, I surrender! I mistakenly posted here. I own a small tube AMP(yes, a fender pricneton AMP, btw, it says exactly that on the amp): it includes a speaker Jerries, can you imagine that??? You've been clear: small tube amps dont include speaker/s. Sorry Patill, were talking about TUBE amps on this thread, do your homework. Again, I apoligize Jerries, I thought we were talking small tube amps with a SINGLE speaker like my fender priceton AMP. I WRONGLY assumed Jerries was talking about a small 5 watt tube amp (verses the ACUALL small 12 watt amps made over the last 4 decades) with a SINGLE speaker that could play a Small gigs B
Y ITSELF,which,( as the 12 watt Princeton) has done so on its own for over 40 years.
NOT a combo(more than one speaker) like you mentioned Jerries, as you originally replied and RELY ON. YOU clearly stated MULTIPLE SPEAKERS have something to do with small tube amps. your choice. I'm sorry I posted on this thread: I thought it was about Small tube amps like my Fender Princeton AMP, I understand now that is not the case.

lol, yes I accidentally added a zero to my last post.

Jerries, do your homework: 500 watts is ONLY TWICE AS LOUD AS 50 watts, Not 3 TIMES AS LOUD, YOU DIDNT MAKE THIS UP REMEMBER? :!:
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

I think it´s time for a mod to step in. He´ll learn someday^^. The only thing I understand in this post is that me and Jer(r)ies should do our homework?!

Everything that can be said concerning the loudness of tube amps has been said (by more than one person), I think we should leave this alone now. Everything further would just be arguing.
Last edited by Patill on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
notavirtuoso
Member
Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Some people just don't like the taste of crow.
guitarmattms
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:59 pm

Actually, I only posted this post to ask for suggestions on a smaller tube amp... Not a lecture on wattage....
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

you got your answers, now go away :mrgreen:

just joking ;). Tried one yet? The Epiphone one is a good one to go if you want a simple small tube amp :)


Here´s just some sound sample I found. Please notice the Weber attenuaor (like I recommended before^^). Sounds creamy as hell. I´m thinking of getting one. Cheapest good tube tone you can get

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-sRQlHCzI
Stephen Brown
Member
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am

guitarmattms wrote:Actually, I only posted this post to ask for suggestions on a smaller tube amp... Not a lecture on wattage....
Was there anything you felt you liked?
Stephen Brown
Member
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am

Randall RM50HB or RM20=15W?
^Unloaded.

It all depends on your taste & budget. :guitar

The Legacy II boasts some really amazing features.
Fanch
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 pm

guitarmattms wrote:Actually, I only posted this post to ask for suggestions on a smaller tube amp... Not a lecture on wattage....
Excatly, read my originial post! Not some bizzarre lecture about wattage. Some people can't accept the simple truth that my amp can play a gig by istelf. Period. Yes, a Fender Priceton Amp(12 inch speaker) is quite Pricey! I wrongly assumed those reading this would know I was comparing it to a Epiphone amp with an 8 inch speaker(the Valve Jr. with speaker: Jerries shocked me with his answer to my simple question.). Then, a snide, redundant mention of transistor amps speaks volumes.


If you can afford it, I highly reccomed the Fender Priceton Amp!


Sigh...I simply disagree with Jerries who stated there is no real difference between 5 and 20 watts. THEN, points out 20 watts is 40% Louder than 5 watts: Major contradiction!




Again Jerries, 500 watts is only TWICE as loud, NOT THREE times as loud, as 50 watts as you claim: look at Patill's forumla for PROOF!!!
Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am

i have not said anything above that isnt 100% correct
i didnt make this shit up its been around before i was born
Post Reply