Small tube amps...

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
guitarmattms
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:59 pm

Hi, Just wondering if you guys wouldn't mind suggestions of small tube amps. Say, around 20 watts.


Thanks.
Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am

why?
and why 20 watts?

why not a 5 watt class a tube amp?

a 20 watt amp isn't much louder than a 5 watt amp-
Pi2plank
Member
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:47 pm

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/produ ... rod&id=129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

20 watts, tube amp w/ effects loop ,w8 a min. i think the name hughes & kettner is synonymous to expensive.. hehe
wasoota
Member
Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:16 am

Pi2plank wrote:http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/produ ... rod&id=129

20 watts, tube amp w/ effects loop ,w8 a min. i think the name hughes & kettner is synonymous to expensive.. hehe
Compared to what? In Europe you'll be hard pressed for more tone for money.
Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am

its $600, i think for that kind of money you could do much better amp wise
Stephen Brown
Member
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am

1)Cornford Harlequin
2)Black Star HT-5
3)Peavey Mini Colossal
4)Orange Tiny Terror
5)There are larger amps that are adjustable.
User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am

Mesa 5:25 switchable between 5W and 25W
Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am

i bought my valve jr used for $60 perfect conidition with box
User avatar
notavirtuoso
Member
Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Has anyone played the Cornford Carrera?
Fanch
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 pm

Jeries wrote:a 20 watt amp isn't much louder than a 5 watt amp-

Are you serious? there is a big difference between the two: I recently purchased a vintage 12 watt fender princeton amp that's loud enough to play small club gigs. A 5 watt epiphone amp could never do that on its own. Well...maybe a jazz club, there is always an exception. :wink:
Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am

Fanch wrote:
Jeries wrote:a 20 watt amp isn't much louder than a 5 watt amp-

Are you serious? there is a big difference between the two: I recently purchased a vintage 12 watt fender princeton amp that's loud enough to play small club gigs. A 5 watt epiphone amp could never do that on its own. Well...maybe a jazz club, there is always an exception. :wink:
first thing, i have a 150 watt mesa boogie head thru a 4x12- my bands last show i decided instead to use my digitech preamp into a valve jr into the 4x12 and got me thru the gig just fine and cut through with no problems, preamp wise it was very clean and i really perfered aspects of the noise suppression and compression.

a 12 watt amp vs a 5 watt amp is NOT TWICE AS LOUD

to double the sound you need to multiply the wattage x10 ( why must i reiterate this in a post here at least once a week)

SO if you have a 5 watt amp and a 12 watt amp...
the 12 watt amp is just a tiny bit louder than the 5 watt amp, you'd need a 50 watt amp to double the volume of the 5 watt amp and

in fact my 150 watt mesa boogie amp is ONLY TWICE AS LOUD AS A tiny 15 watt amp
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

Jeries is right.
Fanch
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 pm

Jeries wrote:
Fanch wrote:
Jeries wrote:a 20 watt amp isn't much louder than a 5 watt amp-

Are you serious? there is a big difference between the two: I recently purchased a vintage 12 watt fender princeton amp that's loud enough to play small club gigs. A 5 watt epiphone amp could never do that on its own. Well...maybe a jazz club, there is always an exception. :wink:
first thing, i have a 150 watt mesa boogie head thru a 4x12- my bands last show i decided instead to use my digitech preamp into a valve jr into the 4x12 and got me thru the gig just fine and cut through with no problems, preamp wise it was very clean and i really perfered aspects of the noise suppression and compression.

a 12 watt amp vs a 5 watt amp is NOT TWICE AS LOUD

to double the sound you need to multiply the wattage x10 ( why must i reiterate this in a post here at least once a week)

SO if you have a 5 watt amp and a 12 watt amp...
the 12 watt amp is just a tiny bit louder than the 5 watt amp, you'd need a 50 watt amp to double the volume of the 5 watt amp and

in fact my 150 watt mesa boogie amp is ONLY TWICE AS LOUD AS A tiny 15 watt amp

first thing: I never mentioned a preamp. Second thing: I never mentioned an external(in this case, a HUGE 4 x 12 cabinet)! I DID mention a 12 watt amp that could play a small gig ALONE. You stated your 5 watt amp with a preamp, And 4 x 12 cabinet to support it: NOT the same thing. Bottom line: you did'nt understand my post. Again, a Fender Princeton 12 watt amp is loud enough to play small club gigs by itself. period. I'm sorry your 5 watt amp is unable to play small gigs by itself: as you pointed out it needs a preamp and a 4 x12 cabinet, to play a small gig, no big surprise. :roll:
Also, try learning some basic electronic theory before you claim 150 watts is ONLY twice(double) as loud as 15 watts. :lol: (Ofcourse, you have reinterated this before, or am I wrong again and you will prove me wrong): your BIZZARE THEORY THAT STATES "150 watts is ONLY TWICE AS LOUD AS A tiny 15 watt amp" : YOUR QUOTE. :lol: !!!
Post Reply