Small tube amps...

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
guitarmattms

Hi, Just wondering if you guys wouldn't mind suggestions of small tube amps. Say, around 20 watts.

Thanks.
Jeries

why?
and why 20 watts?

why not a 5 watt class a tube amp?

a 20 watt amp isn't much louder than a 5 watt amp-
Pi2plank

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/produ ... rod&id=129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

20 watts, tube amp w/ effects loop ,w8 a min. i think the name hughes & kettner is synonymous to expensive.. hehe
wasoota

Pi2plank wrote:http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/produ ... rod&id=129

20 watts, tube amp w/ effects loop ,w8 a min. i think the name hughes & kettner is synonymous to expensive.. hehe
Compared to what? In Europe you'll be hard pressed for more tone for money.
Jeries

its $600, i think for that kind of money you could do much better amp wise
Stephen Brown

1)Cornford Harlequin
2)Black Star HT-5
3)Peavey Mini Colossal
4)Orange Tiny Terror
5)There are larger amps that are adjustable.
boswell

Mesa 5:25 switchable between 5W and 25W
Jeries

i bought my valve jr used for $60 perfect conidition with box
notavirtuoso

Has anyone played the Cornford Carrera?
Fanch

Jeries wrote:a 20 watt amp isn't much louder than a 5 watt amp-

Are you serious? there is a big difference between the two: I recently purchased a vintage 12 watt fender princeton amp that's loud enough to play small club gigs. A 5 watt epiphone amp could never do that on its own. Well...maybe a jazz club, there is always an exception. :wink:
Jeries

Fanch wrote:

Are you serious? there is a big difference between the two: I recently purchased a vintage 12 watt fender princeton amp that's loud enough to play small club gigs. A 5 watt epiphone amp could never do that on its own. Well...maybe a jazz club, there is always an exception. :wink:
first thing, i have a 150 watt mesa boogie head thru a 4x12- my bands last show i decided instead to use my digitech preamp into a valve jr into the 4x12 and got me thru the gig just fine and cut through with no problems, preamp wise it was very clean and i really perfered aspects of the noise suppression and compression.

a 12 watt amp vs a 5 watt amp is NOT TWICE AS LOUD

to double the sound you need to multiply the wattage x10 ( why must i reiterate this in a post here at least once a week)

SO if you have a 5 watt amp and a 12 watt amp...
the 12 watt amp is just a tiny bit louder than the 5 watt amp, you'd need a 50 watt amp to double the volume of the 5 watt amp and

in fact my 150 watt mesa boogie amp is ONLY TWICE AS LOUD AS A tiny 15 watt amp
Patill

Jeries is right.
Fanch

Jeries wrote:
Fanch wrote:

first thing, i have a 150 watt mesa boogie head thru a 4x12- my bands last show i decided instead to use my digitech preamp into a valve jr into the 4x12 and got me thru the gig just fine and cut through with no problems, preamp wise it was very clean and i really perfered aspects of the noise suppression and compression.

a 12 watt amp vs a 5 watt amp is NOT TWICE AS LOUD

to double the sound you need to multiply the wattage x10 ( why must i reiterate this in a post here at least once a week)

SO if you have a 5 watt amp and a 12 watt amp...
the 12 watt amp is just a tiny bit louder than the 5 watt amp, you'd need a 50 watt amp to double the volume of the 5 watt amp and

in fact my 150 watt mesa boogie amp is ONLY TWICE AS LOUD AS A tiny 15 watt amp

first thing: I never mentioned a preamp. Second thing: I never mentioned an external(in this case, a HUGE 4 x 12 cabinet)! I DID mention a 12 watt amp that could play a small gig ALONE. You stated your 5 watt amp with a preamp, And 4 x 12 cabinet to support it: NOT the same thing. Bottom line: you did'nt understand my post. Again, a Fender Princeton 12 watt amp is loud enough to play small club gigs by itself. period. I'm sorry your 5 watt amp is unable to play small gigs by itself: as you pointed out it needs a preamp and a 4 x12 cabinet, to play a small gig, no big surprise. :roll:
Also, try learning some basic electronic theory before you claim 150 watts is ONLY twice(double) as loud as 15 watts. :lol: (Ofcourse, you have reinterated this before, or am I wrong again and you will prove me wrong): your BIZZARE THEORY THAT STATES "150 watts is ONLY TWICE AS LOUD AS A tiny 15 watt amp" : YOUR QUOTE. :lol: !!!