Attenuators

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Kremlin
Newcomer

boswell wrote:This whole conversation is pretty silly really.......... I wonder if on the Ferrari forum people discuss mods to make their cars go slower, be more tractable round town, soften the ride, raise the suspension to make it easier to get in and out or disguises to make it less noticable when driving through poor areas? :D
No, people on Ferrari forums talk about their OTHER cars that they use for day-driving around town :)
boswell wrote:My point is why spend a whole chunk of cash on something then spend another load modifying it to do something it's not designed to do, why not just purchase an amp that'll do the job in the first place?
There is no amp that will do what they want in the first place. If there's an amp that sounds like a cranked Legacy but at bedroom volumes I'd be happy if you could show me where to buy it.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

boswell wrote:My point is why spend a whole chunk of cash on something then spend another load modifying it to do something it's not designed to do, why not just purchase an amp that'll do the job in the first place?
Because one might use it for practicing and recording at home as well as gigs.
boswell

I bought an amp that does both :wink:
Patill

which would be?
bucketbot

Patill wrote:
bucketbot wrote: Nobody is saying a modded amp is worth more than a new one so dunno where you got that Idea :?

well, you said that modded amps may be more desireable and more saleable. That´s where I got the idea ;). I´m just saying that the price will decrease drastically if you wanna sell a modded legacy.
Just thought would mention I proved you wrong on this one. Sold my Modded Legacy on ebay, basically for the same money I paid for it on ebay 3 years ago.
It was only up for a matter of hours & had lots of interest mainly BECAUSE it was modded.
Am happy as I had 3 years use out of the amp & on selling it on pretty much got my money back.

I sold because I decided I no longer needed it. I recently treated myself to a Mesa Stiletto Deuce II...awesome head!
Blows the Legacy into the weeds IMO but then for double the price I guess it should.
Not your typical Mesa tone but I didn't want that anyway, but as "Stiletto" it's aptly named....cuts like a hot scalpel through butter!
Patill

wel, good for you!

You got yourself a nice amp, which is the only reason why I´ll leave you be :lol:

kidding^^
Bryceybhoy

Jeez. I just spent the last 20 mins reading this thread........and still haven't got a clue about how play my legacy in the living room without being threatened with divorce.

I love it....but it's damn loud. Louder than I thought it would be. I'm so naive!

Anyone tried the Motherload Elemental? I've heard it's quite good. Help!
Bryceybhoy

Actually, thanks to one of the earlier posts in this thread....I think I may well go for the Weber Mass 100w version. Sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for.
paulh123

Bryceybhoy wrote:Jeez. I just spent the last 20 mins reading this thread........and still haven't got a clue about how play my legacy in the living room without being threatened with divorce.

I love it....but it's damn loud. Louder than I thought it would be. I'm so naive!

Anyone tried the Motherload Elemental? I've heard it's quite good. Help!
try the morley little alligator volume pedal,works brilliantly in the fx loop of a legacy amp amp and really takes the volume back down to any level you want.
Bryceybhoy

My new Rivera Rockcrusher has just been delivered, so I plan on trying it out this weekend when I pick up my newly repaired Legacy.

Don't really know why I'm bothering telling anyone, seeing as this site is pretty much dead these days. I've seen more life in Scottish football recently than on here.....
paulh123

i`m interested :D
Bryceybhoy

paulh123 wrote:i`m interested :D
Excellent. I shall bore you with my thoughts.

Not impressed! Now that I am able to hear the legacy for the first time, I don't think its distortion channel is that impressive. I'm going to get a distortion pedal - either a DS-1 Keeley or the Jemini - and hopefully the sound will be a lot better than what I'm getting now.

I know the attenuator clouds the sound a little bit, so that's going to be expected....but I do know this attenuator is absolutely one of the best so I'm hoping the pedal will give me more oomph. I just don't get a lot of sustain on lead as I was expecting.

Once I get the pedal, I'll give you another update.
paulh123

hi,well i`ve got 2 legacy heads and love the overdrive channel,it may not have the ott metal overdrive you get on alot of amps these days,but it does have a great tone and dynamics,i have been playing 30 years and owned tons of amps over the years and after 18 months using the legacys i cannot see me changing,although if i was doing alot of recording i would buy an axe fx.
as the legacy is quite a dark sounding amp i am not sure an attenuater is the best way to go as you will lose some high end dynamics,although my experience is only with a marshall powerbrake many years ago with a 5150 head.
pedals work ok with the legacy,i have used a ds1 and a modified ds1,i believe sv uses an original made in japan ds1.
i have mentioned before in this thread using a little alligator volume pedal and still think they are the way to go for bringing the volume down on this amp,you can have the amp down to a whisper if you wish with just a turn of a knob.
pickups also have a good effect on the amount of percievable drive,evos,tone zone(if you can handle the bottom end!)and air classics(yes really!)(all dimarzios)all sound great imo.
as for lack of sustain,never had that problem!
Bryceybhoy

I'm afraid I can't argue with your 30 years of experience. I've tried again tonight to get better tone and, well, I'm still a bit let down....I'm just totally bummed that I get an overly fat/fuzz/drowned out sound when I use the neck pick-up low down the fretboard.

I honestly thought the attenuator would do a better job. But, you win some lose some I suppose. I hope the ds-1 will give me a better 'fat' sound and reduce the need for me to 'up' the drive knob too much. When I turn up the drive, I just lose the free sound and it becomes chubby and chunky. Not good.

If the pedal doesn't work, the whole thing is going on eBay!

It's my own fault for thinking the Legacy wasn't as loud as people made out.

Very depressed :cry:
paulh123

hi again,
yes the legacy really loses definition and sounds all flubby when the drive is turned up beyond around 7.5/8.
and yea it is probably the loudest amp ever made!you have to try it out in a band situation it just sounds amazing,fantastic tone and all the sounds i will ever use just by using the volume knob and pickup selector.