Attenuators

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

Patill wrote:
bucketbot wrote: However this mod most certainly will not produce the same results (as Patill says) as simply putting a volume limiting device in your effects loop.
That is a simple fact!
And I assume you say that your Master volume sound is better, right?
Yes, It sounds better to me. However I am not arguing with you, your method also works well in taming the volume. :D
This subject is a hard one really as what sounds good to some does not sound good to others.
Depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. :wink:
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

bucketbot wrote:
Patill wrote:
bucketbot wrote: However this mod most certainly will not produce the same results (as Patill says) as simply putting a volume limiting device in your effects loop.
That is a simple fact!
And I assume you say that your Master volume sound is better, right?
Yes, It sounds better to me. However I am not arguing with you, your method also works well in taming the volume. :D
This subject is a hard one really as what sounds good to some does not sound good to others.
Depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. :wink:
well, you just said it ;).

It´s just what he chooses to do.
teokiatuan
Member
Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am

bucketbot wrote:
teokiatuan wrote: Yes that's true.

I can't go past 1 on the gain channel, its too loud even for me!, much less the neighbours...
Couldn't be too hard for carvin to fix...?
Carvin did fix it....they introduced the Legacy II which has a pre send MV.
Which cost an extra grand!
bucketbot wrote: Clearly if you bought the amp new then maybe modding the amp is an issue for you, however I bought mine 2nd hand for very little money. I re-covered it, modded it and am now very pleased with the results.....of course the choice is yours......just trying to give you some sensible advice based on my experience.

However if the amp is new I would suggest waiting until the warranty runs out.
I bought the amp used as well at a pretty good price too. However being a student i don't have alot of spare cash lying around so your advice is very handy.

Thanks!
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

teokiatuan wrote:
bucketbot wrote:
teokiatuan wrote: Yes that's true.

I can't go past 1 on the gain channel, its too loud even for me!, much less the neighbours...
Couldn't be too hard for carvin to fix...?
Carvin did fix it....they introduced the Legacy II which has a pre send MV.
Which cost an extra grand!
bucketbot wrote: Clearly if you bought the amp new then maybe modding the amp is an issue for you, however I bought mine 2nd hand for very little money. I re-covered it, modded it and am now very pleased with the results.....of course the choice is yours......just trying to give you some sensible advice based on my experience.

However if the amp is new I would suggest waiting until the warranty runs out.
I bought the amp used as well at a pretty good price too. However being a student i don't have alot of spare cash lying around so your advice is very handy.

Thanks!
Excellent :!: :!:
Then you have nothing to lose by trying the mod of you feel brave enough! :wink: :headbang :peace
teokiatuan
Member
Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am

I wonder if the mod can be made to bypass ie, in the circuit when i'm home and then switched to the original components for a show.

Teo
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

teokiatuan wrote:I wonder if the mod can be made to bypass ie, in the circuit when i'm home and then switched to the original components for a show.

Teo
Yes it can, but there is no need to switch it out.
One of the advantages of using a 1 Meg Pot is that with the Pot fully dimed the amp behaves as if the mod was not there. :wink:
User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am

This whole conversation is pretty silly really.......... I wonder if on the Ferrari forum people discuss mods to make their cars go slower, be more tractable round town, soften the ride, raise the suspension to make it easier to get in and out or disguises to make it less noticable when driving through poor areas? :D
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

boswell wrote:This whole conversation is pretty silly really.......... I wonder if on the Ferrari forum people discuss mods to make their cars go slower, be more tractable round town, soften the ride, raise the suspension to make it easier to get in and out or disguises to make it less noticable when driving through poor areas? :D
Actually I think your comment is pretty silly! :?
This thread is 5 pages long.....which particular part of the conversation are you referring to?

Or is this another sweeping generalisation that is often prevalant on forums of this type?

A guy askes for help & advice & people offer it.....isn't that supposedly a large part of what these forums are about?

You may be of that opinion but unless you have something constructive to add suggest you keep it to yourself. :mrgreen:
User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am

My point is why spend a whole chunk of cash on something then spend another load modifying it to do something it's not designed to do, why not just purchase an amp that'll do the job in the first place?
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

boswell wrote:My point is why spend a whole chunk of cash on something then spend another load modifying it to do something it's not designed to do, why not just purchase an amp that'll do the job in the first place?
Well he did say that he bought the amp second hand for not a lot of money.
Clearly he specifically wanted the Legacy.

As for spending a chunk of cash modifying it......total cost of the parts for the MV mod was around £15.....cost of doing the work if you do it yourself....Nil! Personally I wouldn't call that a chunk of cash.

Sounds like a bargain to me. :wink:

Guess he could have bought a 5 watt tube amp for bedroom use but that would then be no good for gigging.
This way he has the flexibility to use it for both purposes & also has the amp he actually really wants.
Ultimately his choice & as he already owns the amp it's pretty much already made.
Last edited by bucketbot on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

boswell wrote:My point is why spend a whole chunk of cash on something then spend another load modifying it to do something it's not designed to do, why not just purchase an amp that'll do the job in the first place?

well, how about some people like tube amps better than some solid state stuff that can be played in a bedroom but sounds like you hump a cat? Tube amps are loud, no matter what, but there are several ways to turn the volume down without making them sound worse than any solid state amp.

I remember getting my first tube amp and playing it in my bedroom, was the best and most illuminating day in my life, when it comes to "sound".


oh, and btw, you are also judging Carvin by adding a Master Volume to the Legacy. Or any other company that distributes an amp with that.
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

Patill wrote: well, how about some people like tube amps better than some solid state stuff that can be played in a bedroom but sounds like you hump a cat? Tube amps are loud, no matter what, but there are several ways to turn the volume down without making them sound worse than any solid state amp.
Exactly.....Good Point!

Patill wrote:
oh, and btw, you are also judging Carvin by adding a Master Volume to the Legacy. Or any other company that distributes an amp with that.
Judging Carvin?? :?:

How so & in what way?

The Legacy was designed that way (without a MV) because it is a signature amp. Steve Vai wanted it that way.
I don't think he wanted it to practice in his bedroom. :lol:

I actually have 3 Carvin amps & the Legacy is the only one that does not have a Master Volume.
However now we have the Legacy II which does have a Master Volume, not really sure of the point you are trying to make there?
Anyway I think we're all getting a little bogged down here & off the point. :?
If anything I've judged Carvin by buying 3 of their amps & 2 of their Guitars...so make of that what you will. :wink:
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

bucketbot wrote: However now we have the Legacy II which does have a Master Volume, not really sure of the point you are trying to make there?
yes, the Legacy II does have a Master volume, now (and many other amps do). Carvin built it in. And that would be his idea of "slowing down a Ferrari". I absolutely cannot go with that.
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

Patill wrote:
bucketbot wrote: However now we have the Legacy II which does have a Master Volume, not really sure of the point you are trying to make there?
yes, the Legacy II does have a Master volume, now (and many other amps do). Carvin built it in. And that would be his idea of "slowing down a Ferrari". I absolutely cannot go with that.
Me neither.....Some people buy Ferrari's but the only way to achieve the cars full potential is to break the law....so maybe not such a good analogy? :?:

However they still sell.

Luckily diming a tube amp is so far still not illegal! :lol:
Guess it could be though if your neigbours complain enough. :oops:
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

bucketbot wrote:
Patill wrote:
bucketbot wrote: However now we have the Legacy II which does have a Master Volume, not really sure of the point you are trying to make there?
yes, the Legacy II does have a Master volume, now (and many other amps do). Carvin built it in. And that would be his idea of "slowing down a Ferrari". I absolutely cannot go with that.
Me neither.....Some people buy Ferrari's but the only way to achieve the cars full potential is to break the law....so maybe not such a good analogy? :?:

However they still sell.

Luckily diming a tube amp is so far still not illegal! :lol:
Guess it could be though if your neigbours complain enough. :oops:

well, here in Germany it is legal^^. No limit on highways. You ould still go to a racing track, most people do thi here with their bikes, like in official regional leagues etc..


Not my thing either.
Post Reply