Attenuators

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

well of course you disagree, it´s you who built it :lol:

This would be nothing for me. I don´t like the look of the extra knob and screwing around (I mean screwing like screwdriver :P) on the amp.
I think it´s a lot easier than that. Just like I said, a G-Major would even be enough to solve the loudness problems. And you have a cool effects unit on top ;). There are many very easy ways to get the Legacy running at low volumes without having to go inside the amp.

This would always be my very last choice, since it also lowers the amps value.
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

Patill wrote:well of course you disagree, it´s you who built it :lol:

This would be nothing for me. I don´t like the look of the extra knob and screwing around (I mean screwing like screwdriver :P) on the amp.
I think it´s a lot easier than that. Just like I said, a G-Major would even be enough to solve the loudness problems. And you have a cool effects unit on top ;). There are many very easy ways to get the Legacy running at low volumes without having to go inside the amp.

This would always be my very last choice, since it also lowers the amps value.
Well like so many things this is simply a matter of opinion. You don't like the knob......so clearly that's your opinion but that does not make it correct. :lol: I have had feedback from many who actually DO like the knob! :headbang
As for the effect on the amp you are not qualified to pass comment since you have clearly not used a legacy which has been modded in this way.
I can tell you that it works much better than simply controlling the volume with a device in the effects loop such as a G Major.

As for reducung the amps value that too is a matter of opinion.
For some people it may in fact make the amp more desirable & thus more saleable.
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

bucketbot wrote: As for the effect on the amp you are not qualified to pass comment since you have clearly not used a legacy which has been modded in this way.
I can tell you that it works much better than simply controlling the volume with a device in the effects loop such as a G Major.
why can´t I comment this when I have the needed background knowledge about this? It´s only a decrease in volume, it´s not a big deal to know what´s gonna happen if you build a knob that decreases volume ;).

There are was to do that much easier than opening the amp and soldering around.

And what exactly works better than with a G-Major? This is not a rethorical question, it´s real ;).
bucketbot wrote: As for reducung the amps value that too is a matter of opinion.
For some people it may in fact make the amp more desirable & thus more saleable.
well put it on ebay and let´s see who´s right ;). I think I am, with a very big thought on that ;). Nobody´s gonna buy a tuned amp for more than the original value. Has never been the case. Unless it´s modded by the company itself like a Mark II C+.
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

Look Pal.....not getting embroiled in an argument with you. :|

Teokiatuan asked for an opinion on the mod...in fact he even PM'd me so I gave him my opinion.

Nobody is saying a modded amp is worth more than a new one so dunno where you got that Idea :? ....in fact Legacy's in any condition modded or not don't generally fetch much money on the 2nd hand market anyway.

Subject closed....at least as far as I'm concerned! :peace
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

bucketbot wrote: Nobody is saying a modded amp is worth more than a new one so dunno where you got that Idea :?

well, you said that modded amps may be more desireable and more saleable. That´s where I got the idea ;). I´m just saying that the price will decrease drastically if you wanna sell a modded legacy.

And I did nothing but giving my opinion to the master volume mod (just like you did), so what´s the problem here^^? It´s just that you say my opinion doesn´t count because I don´t have the mod, I say diffrent. It´s no rocket science what goes on with the mod.


I´d not mod a Legacy if other things you can do about the "problem" are absolutely equal to that without touching the inside of the amp. What he does is his choice.
teokiatuan
Member
Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am

I was thinking of mounting it on the back as well, since it'll be home 99% of the time, i won't have to touch it much anyway.

Maybe i'll just settle with a GMajor?
I'm already on the way to getting that, so...
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

teokiatuan wrote:I was thinking of mounting it on the back as well, since it'll be home 99% of the time, i won't have to touch it much anyway.

Maybe i'll just settle with a GMajor?
I'm already on the way to getting that, so...

yeah. What the G-Major does is lowering the volume before it gets to the power amp, so you can turn up the volume without running too loud. Very simple and no loss of quality.
anuj
Member
Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:03 am

The whole point of attenuation is to attenuate after the signal gets to the power amp, i.e. between the power amp and speakers ..

One of the reasons that you're still going to potentially get a different sound than a fully cranked amp is that some speakers (notably Vintage 30s) have a very distinctive mid rangey/nasaly scream when pushed. If you try the amp with higher wattage speakers or ones voiced with less midrange, you're more likely to get consistent (but quieter) sounds with attenuation.

~A
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

anuj wrote:The whole point of attenuation is to attenuate after the signal gets to the power amp, i.e. between the power amp and speakers ..
yeah, but that´s not what this is about right now^^. The master volume is also no attenuator. The point is to make the amp playable in his bedroom.

The problem is that all the knobs cut completely down if you´re under 0.5-1. So if you go too low with the master volume, you will hear strange things. You can avoid that with a G-Major or a general volume decrease in the effects loop. Like this you can raise the volume to 1 or 2 and it sounds fine.
anuj
Member
Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:03 am

Just put a volume pedal in your FX loop, then.

~A
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

you´d need a volume pedal with adjutable max volume then. If you have cats, a dog or you step on it accidentally, not good for your heart :mrgreen:.
anuj
Member
Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:03 am

Normally, you can leave it heel down and adjust the minimum level with a knob.

This is not that hard.

~A
teokiatuan
Member
Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am

Patill wrote:yeah, but that´s not what this is about right now^^. The master volume is also no attenuator. The point is to make the amp playable in his bedroom.

The problem is that all the knobs cut completely down if you´re under 0.5-1. So if you go too low with the master volume, you will hear strange things. .
Yes that's true.

I can't go past 1 on the gain channel, its too loud even for me!, much less the neighbours...
Couldn't be too hard for carvin to fix...?
User avatar
bucketbot
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:54 am

teokiatuan wrote: Yes that's true.

I can't go past 1 on the gain channel, its too loud even for me!, much less the neighbours...
Couldn't be too hard for carvin to fix...?
Carvin did fix it....they introduced the Legacy II which has a pre send MV.
I have owned both amps & I actually sold the Legacy II as I preferred the sound of the original Legacy.
Like so many things it's all about personal preferences.

One of the reasons why the MV mod I did works so well is becuse it is Post PI(Phase Invertor).
It allows you to dime the front end of the amp, get crunch from all valves up to and including the PI, and then feed as much - or as little - of that crunchy signal as you like to the power valves.

Putting a level limiter such as the G Major before your power amp will not push your PI in this way, & many people are of the opinion that this is a big part of your distortion tone.
Ultimately its all a matter of personal preference & opinion.

However this mod most certainly will not produce the same results (as Patill says) as simply putting a volume limiting device in your effects loop.
That is a simple fact!

To illustrate I am able to set my Legacy Lead channel on 5-6 in a small room at home with the MV set to around 25-30%.
To my ears this sounds much better than without the MV and the channel volume set on around 0.5 which produces similar results in terms of volumes.
What's more if you use a 1 Meg pot and dime it the amp behaves exactly as though the mod was not there.
This Mod was derived by Richard Hasselbrock who has been modding Carvin amps for many years so I think he knows something about it.
If you were worried about drilling holes in the amp another option would be to remove one of the speaker jacks & mount your pot there.
The mod is completely reversible so you really have nothing to lose by trying it. All you need to do is remove what you put in and refit the 2 caps taken off the PCB.
If you find you like the mod & it's a keeper you could then drill the chassis for the MV knob in a place of your chosing and re-fit the speaker jack for a more permanent solution.
Clearly if you bought the amp new then maybe modding the amp is an issue for you, however I bought mine 2nd hand for very little money. I re-covered it, modded it and am now very pleased with the results.....of course the choice is yours......just trying to give you some sensible advice based on my experience.

However if the amp is new I would suggest waiting until the warranty runs out.
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

bucketbot wrote: However this mod most certainly will not produce the same results (as Patill says) as simply putting a volume limiting device in your effects loop.
That is a simple fact!
And I assume you say that your Master volume sound is better, right?
Last edited by Patill on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply