Attenuators

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
teokiatuan

I might be looking to pick up a Carvin Legacy soon, but i've heard pretty often its a very loud amp.
hence i'm in the market for a good attenuator(doesn't suck tone,easy to use etc)

some recommendations would be very helpful!
Breeder

nothing useful to add...but great topic, awaiting replies :headbang
Big Bad Bill

Have you tried 'turning it down'? If you really want that fabled power amp distortion then this isn't an option, but you may have read our debate on this a while back

http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... t=Hotplate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can only suggest one to avoid at high attenuation levels-THD Hotplate but read the above thread for details.
Patill

I would never get a Hotplate, that thing totally screws your sound/the sound the amp.

I´ve heared some good critics abot the Weber Attenuators, so I bought me one recently, it´s such a great thing. It just keeps the sound as it is and works perfectly.
Big Bad Bill

Patill wrote:I´ve heared some good critics abot the Weber Attenuators, so I bought me one recently, it´s such a great thing. It just keeps the sound as it is and works perfectly.
Which one did you buy Patil? Is it really that transparent-meaning it doesn't colour the sound of the amp?
Patill

yes it is! I swear by god, this thing is the killer!!!!

I really didn´t expect that but it is completely neutral, just letting you crank your amp as you always wished. I have the Mass Lite 100 W. I don´t like all these knobs so I thought I´d go with the simplest one.

I should stop talking like that to keep my post serious :lol:.

So yes, it is transparent, just as you imagine it and wish it to be. This really seems to be a secret source.
Stephen Brown

If you play good enough it doesn't matter how loud it is. o.k maybe not. :lol:
pagliai

This is the usual problems for guitarists and drummers,we are the bad races we walk over the testicles all the time 'cause of the volume,we must accept it.

we must accept we must not hurt other people too just like we must accept a amp with a master volume when it i'll be crank up all the way up sounds more more good instead of an attenuated amp with the best superfantastic attenuator or all the mods or so on.

It is 'cause of the air moved by the speakers at high levels

but we must play or record or so on, so the solutions are these:

1)more expensive - an engineer comes to your musical space and checks the situation with the amp cranked up,then he 'll take the measurements in the rooms and in the neighbours rooms,then he 'll say ooooooh you must cut 70dbs at 200hz or so on and he'll call one of his workers and he'll give you an extimate then he'll build the room.when the work 'll be ended he 'll take some measurements again and let you a paper where he says everything is correct and you can play relaxed at correct level so you are inside the law with no problems.It is expensive but not so much like you can think about.
2)more expensive -whisper rooms ,so a room inside a room with a structure built for these things,in this case you can repeat the engineer issue
3)mid expensive - a silent box ,rivera is really good in my opinion
4)mid expensive - a little amp like marshall or so on
5)mid expensive - a cpu with a soundcard with virtual instruments with a headphone durin the night
6)low expensive - built a silent box on your own
7)low expensive - an attenuator and here it's a mess there is only a rule .......personal taste.....give a try to it.....etc etc

legacy II - sound like it should make the job ,i don't know it but sound like in that way

If i forget something ,i apologize to you

ah also ,no money, super low expensive?down the master.........it is free,sound like in that way.....
Patill

pagliai wrote: It is 'cause of the air moved by the speakers at high levels
I don´t mind that little difference. In fact I don´t care. I´m happy to be able to crank my amp without being loud. And if I want it louder, I just turn the volume on the attenuator up for recording. If you´re good with your neighbours they shouldn´t mind, also they´re not sticky at home, so ou can play when they´re out ;).
Actually there should be no matter like personal taste when it comes to attenuators. The only thing they should do is put the level down without changing its goods.

I´ve never tested one, but these silencer boxes are told to do none of thei work. So it´s still too loud. And you´re sticky to one mic, which is also, let´s name it: very bad^^.
A Master Volume won´t help you either because you won´t get the tubes saturated.
teokiatuan

Big Bad Bill wrote:Have you tried 'turning it down'? If you really want that fabled power amp distortion then this isn't an option, but you may have read our debate on this a while back

http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... t=Hotplate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can only suggest one to avoid at high attenuation levels-THD Hotplate but read the above thread for details.
hmm bbb you say that with the 5150 there is no difference in tone, when it is turned up, only volume?

maybe what everyone means is the soundwaves beating up on their bodies,who knows
then again i've never owned a tube amp, so i guess i'll have to experience it myself
Patill

randomnessman wrote: hmm bbb you say that with the 5150 there is no difference in tone, when it is turned up, only volume?

maybe what everyone means is the soundwaves beating up on their bodies,who knows
then again i've never owned a tube amp, so i guess i'll have to experience it myself
I don´t think the hotplate can deliver the sound of the amp. It sounds just crappy and cheap. I tested it a few times before I knew the Webers and I always did not buy it.

The speakes do also have an effect on tube saturation because they oscillate harder when played loud. That´s a small diference, but the biggest diference comes from the amp. So an attenuator is worth it.
fyrie

Patill wrote: I don´t think the hotplate can deliver the sound of the amp. It sounds just crappy and cheap.
The hotplate just doesn't sound all that good at anything lower than -12DB. It sounds great at -12DB through -0db. It's great for gigs, but not so great for the bedroom.
Big Bad Bill

randomnessman wrote:hmm bbb you say that with the 5150 there is no difference in tone, when it is turned up, only volume?
I couldn't tell you for sure because hearing is more than just sound waves in your ears, its about perception as well. Also, the ear doesn't respond in a linear fashion to sound volume but has very complex characteristics which I'm not sure have been characterised. My perception is that even at bedroom levels, my amp sounds very nice-just like the tones I hear on CDs, when I have turned it up, I just can't tolerate the volume to make an objective opinion on it (and neither can my neighbours)-it scares me!
Patill

fyrie wrote: The hotplate just doesn't sound all that good at anything lower than -12DB. It sounds great at -12DB through -0db. It's great for gigs, but not so great for the bedroom.
hmm, that still sucks. Glad I got one who takes care of all ranges :mrgreen: