VOX AC15

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
nato101010

OK, I'm having some trouble here with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. There's 2 problems. 1st it that it throws a cone of sound right out the front and doesn't fill up the room with my beautiful playing. As you can imagine, this isn't that bad playing by myself, but when I'm with a band, I'm either too quiet that no one can hear me, or way too loud. And the 2nd one it that it distorts too quick for me, I want loud and clean. I played a Vox AC30, but it comes with a big price tag and its too loud. Would the AC15 be a good choice to go with?
teokiatuan

sup

might want to try a combo with an open back system, or a 4x12 setup...

is the fender open back?
nato101010

Yes, it is a combo with a open back. Wouldn't a 4x12 be pretty loud too, like the AC30?
Jemfever

The AC 15 is a cool amp, but since you said you wanted some loud cleans, you should look elsewhere.
The AC 15 doesn't have enough headroom to provide really loud cleans.
How do you get your distorted sounds: are you using the amps overdrive or are you using a pedal in front of the clean channel?
If you go with the first one, the AC 15 can produce some really cool crunch sounds, if pushed hard enough (then again, no cleans).
Try the Fender Blues DeVille 4x10. Tons of clean headroom and sounds nice with a distortion pedal in front. On ebay the sell for ~600EUR.
nato101010

Yes, I have pedals for distortion. But will it project everywhere in the room? In a band, will everyone be able to hear me? That was my biggest problem.
Jemfever

Well, if your main concern is about being heard, why don't you just connect your Fender combo to a 4x12 cab?
This way you'll see, how a 4x12 cab sounds and how it disperses the sound.

What I don't get is, why the AC 30 is too loud for you?
I mean you said that you play in a band, and i think the AC 30 combo feels quite well in a band environement...
and it has controls where you can adjust the overall-volume.

You're right about the price tag though.
nato101010

No thanks man, I still want a combo, I don't like hauling it around everywhere. A 4x12 combo would be cool, but I don't think the amp itself is what I wanted. Plus, would the cost of the amp AND the cab equal the price of a AC30 anyways? I mean, It sounded good when I 1st got it (or I thought that).
Jemfever

Well then i can can only tell you to try out a Fender Blues DeVille 4x10 combo.
This thing has so much clean, powerfull headroom, that it is really ridiculous.
Put a distortion pedal in front of it and watch your pants!
nato101010

Thats pretty cool, I will try one, seeing as though I know of a few stores that carry them. Has anyone heard of this Fender Twin, and it has red knobs, its 100w, and it breaks up earlier, I've heard that it resembles a Marshall. Since its 100w, it would still have loads of clean, but this guy want like 600$ for one! Not bad!