here is the Legacy II

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
DomitianX

Big Bad Bill wrote:
DomitianX wrote:Because its more of a boutique feature and they would have to pay the licensing fees to go with it. I am guessing thats why the new Legacy is so much more money than the old. They have to pay to license the technology from London Power. The big boys probably dont want to pay to license it and if there isnt much demand for it, they probably dont want to use it.
But if it really can deliver that 'holy grail' of monster amp tone at manageable volumes then its something I'd be willing to pay more money for, without a doubt. It'd be incredible to have such an ability. Has anyone actually confirmed that the Legacy II actually utilises this technology? If so, even I'd check it out!
I dont think its the holy grail because you dont get that speaker interaction. Speaker break up and pushing air is a big part of the tone. Plus from what I heard it not a "perfect" scale down. Its a lot closer than an attenuator, but still not like a cranked amp. Its like having a real muscle car and a car that looks and sounds like a muscle car. Tromp on both and see what which crosses the line first.

But from what I read its about a close as you can get right now to truly scaling down the volume without sacrificing tone. Again this is all hearsay because we havent played it, heard any clips or details, but from the hints from Carvin and the stuff I have read on LPS, thats my best guess.

I dont think we will hear much more until NAMM, which is in about a week. This is probably just the teaser to get people to the show to see it in action.
Patill

well, with my attenuator I have at home I can get 98% of the original sound if it´s loud. I have an Attenuator from Ted Weber. I think it is really great and not that searing Hotplate kinda thing :). I don´t think this can be beaten by this technology.

Also he says, the tubes will have a longer life if you use the London Scale down thing. Somehow that sounds unbelievable. Tubes are very hot if it comes to saturation, that´s the reason why they break early. If the tubes should have a longer life, that means they would be cold. But with cold tubes, there´s no saturation. Of course he says it´s low wattage bla, but the tubes are cold, what means diffrent sound.

I still can´t trust it anyhow :P. Let´s wait if it is even built in the legacy, like Bill said, let it be confirmed first ;).
Petie

Patill wrote:Tubes are very hot if it comes to saturation, that´s the reason why they break early. If the tubes should have a longer life, that means they would be cold. But with cold tubes, there´s no saturation.
Perhaps this new technology welcomes us into the new age of...

Light

Without

Heat-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t
Patill

yes, with little green men in the amp blowing the tubes cold (no wrong thoughts please...).

Well, Mesa is using fans for that ;).
Big Bad Bill

Petie wrote:Perhaps this new technology welcomes us into the new age of...

Light

Without

Heat-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one!
SRVoodoo

The new amp has no REVERB.
That's a bummer to me but I guess my effects processor
could take care of that.
I too hope to see a demo video of this new amp.
Kinda like the brown too. Tired of traditional Black.
Although a wall of black Marshalls is still impressive to me ;)
:peace

...er...make that a wall of Legacy's :guitar
Patill

hmm, when I turn the reverb up on my Legacy, the sound changes a lot and the amp just sounds no good anymore. It gets very searing.....

I wouldn´t miss the reverb ;)
Big Bad Bill

Patill wrote:hmm, when I turn the reverb up on my Legacy, the sound changes a lot and the amp just sounds no good anymore. It gets very searing.....

Yeah, I've never been a fan of spring reverbs. Give me a lush digital reverb any day!
DomitianX

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Patill wrote:hmm, when I turn the reverb up on my Legacy, the sound changes a lot and the amp just sounds no good anymore. It gets very searing.....

Yeah, I've never been a fan of spring reverbs. Give me a lush digital reverb any day!
I love a good spring reverb, but I've never used it on my half stacks. Combos for random jamming sure, but if I have my halfstack, I have my whole rig so I dont use the built in verb.

Also, Fargen chimed in and cleared the air:
The new master volume design moves the location in the circuit along with some other technical improvements that enhance the performance at lower volumes. The L2 does not have London power scaling or anything like it in the design.

Cheers.

Benjamin Fargen
Fargen Amplification Inc.
http://www.fargenamps.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PH 916 971 4992
anuj

ha, "i sat for quite some time and played. it was nice."

i dig that.

~A :)
Stephen Brown

& for the people that missed what Mr Vai had to say about his new amp..^^^
SRVoodoo

is it just me or does anyone else feel that there
is something Cryptic about Steve making alot of
references to "Hair"?

Next album: Real Reflections II - H.I.M. (Hair In Motion)
lol
null_is_one

any clips of the amp being played ??? :headbang
Stephen Brown

For the guys who couldn't be there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1d2mdRTZcw