here is the Legacy II

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
j.arledge

priced a little higher then the original
Stephen Brown

2 years in the making.
notavirtuoso

j.arledge wrote:
priced a little higher then the original
And still a hell of a bargain. I want. Will speak to wife in morning.
DomitianX

Priced a little higher? The head is 2x as much as the OG Legacy. Im glad I am digging the first one.
teokiatuan

i wonder how it sounds, but i prefer the look of the old one.. maybe it'll grow on me over time..

but still :headbang :headbang
Lotus Eater

It's the new coke all over again....
j.arledge

Lotus Eater wrote:It's the new coke all over again....
I dont think it will go over quite that bad, we'll see though.
Patill

well, so the lead channel stays the same, there´s just an additional crunch channel. Maybe it´s designed to work with the red distortion of the Jemini. Or the pedal in general.

I like the look, I think you have to get used to it :). But if I buy one, I don´t know. I have one and don´t need a crunch channel ;).
notavirtuoso

The ability of changing from 25, 50 or 100 watts is kind of nifty instead of the 50/100 and a master volume that should allow you to play at bedroom levels without changing the tone is a bit of an improvement (being that it seems to be the most popular complaint about the original Legacy). With the rebate it's still $50 cheaper than a JSX and only $400 more than the original (well, $500 now since they have a rebate on that too.) I think it's worth the increase.
Patill

hmm, I don´t think the master level is as you say. That would mean this amp has an attenuator inside.

I think you mean the breaking down of the level on each knob of the Legacy, doesn´t matter which one you turn, if you go all the way down it really cuts off. Well, if it is not so with the Legacy 2, it´s nothing new. I can play my ´84 Boogie at bedroom levels, too, without "changing the tone", and it doesn´t break down if you go to 0. I really wonder why the Legacy does that, it shouldn´t be too difficult to avoid.

I don´t think you can drive the amp to saturation at bedroom levels -> attenuator ;).
j.arledge

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalogpdf ... 2009-4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as you can see steve has the master volume so that you can control volume and maintain the same satruation/sound at lower levels
Patill

ok, but I would really like to know, what this is about. That would mean there´s an attenuator inside. You can´t deal down the volume and have the powertubes saturated without using a big resistor that changes the signal to warmth and make it more silent. That´s what an attenuator does...Somehow I don´t think it is an attenuator, but does anybody know exactly?

Maybe Mikey knows.
DomitianX

Since the amp was designed by Fargen I assume its using London Power Scaling instead of attenuation. Its a different technology than attenuation.

You can read about it a little bit here. I hope the Legacy II uses LPS, thats about the only thing that would make me buy the new version over the one I already have.

http://ampblog.fargenamps.com/?p=75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patill

ah, ok, that could be the point.

Anybody ever tested this? Well, I could buy a Legacy 2 and test it myself :D. I´m running my Legacy through an attenuator, even if it´s not really loud for a 100 Watts tube amp.

But really, I don´t think this is a method to saturade your tubes and get this Poweramp distortion like sound, I think it´s only good to be able to play at bedroom levels. Well, maybe I´m wrong, but that´s the first thing that came to my mind. If you want poweramp tube saturation, you must play at high volumes, so the tubes can work in their best, of course the volume needs to be reduced at home. That means you need to put a resistor between poweramp and speaker. But I´d really like to know more about this technology. Any further information how this works? Maybe it does saturate the tubes, but in which way? Maybe a bonebreaking new thing ;).
al

the option to switcht he wattage is a must on amps like this, nice feature... I'd like to try one, but im contecnt using my clean channel and overdrive pedals at the moment