Most important piece of gear for vai's tone?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Patill

hmm, effects? I think Steve uses not any effect in this song, but a very tiny amount of reverb and a Wah. That´s all. I think the gain should be at 7, I´m also learning the song at the moment ;). I´m finished with 2:43 of the song, rest to come :P.

Anyway, what Divebomb effect are you talking about?
soloist4hire

well, pretty much all of them...lol... im going off of ceasars video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_AT-Vl9ZO0 , but at 2:48 and 3:55 mainly, and a few more are 2:36, 4:04. I've never really done a whole lot with a floyd rose, other than minor dips and pullups, so i kinda dont really understand whats going on behind the scenes here. Thanks for your help btw!
Patill

oh, that´s harmonics. You hit an open string, and "stop" the string very very slightly at a certain point with your middlefinger (or any finger...), so a harmonic will sound. You can do that at the 12th fret (very easy) or at some certain spots on the fretboard. And making the strings loose with the whammybar will make it easier to do that.

Just hit the string and touch it slightly at the 12th fret. I think the effect of Steve is made at he 3rd fret of the G-String. I think Dimebag Darrell used that one quite often. But I´m not at this point yet (actually, it´s the very next note I have to play :D). I´ll tell you when I´ve done it, but this may be it.

Ah, and more Gain also makes it easier. So the answer to your question may be a Distortion pedal ;). But as Steve does´t seem to use one and his gain is at a fear level and he is human...I´m going for the usual way, practise.

Fooound it, he´s even mentioning Steve, hehe. Seems he was a very nice guy :(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgtZ7oOCmdM
soloist4hire

No no no, i know how to play harmonics, i meant i just didnt know how he was doing those certain divebomb harmonics....
Patill

ys, but that´s how he´s doing it ;). It´s the same with the harmonic on the 12th fret, but just at another direction of the Fretboard...
Petie

Steve's sound and Steve's tone are two entirely different things, and what makes him stand out is not the combination of gear he's used over the years, it's the way he plays, which is something that his gear cannot give you. Check out the videos on my YouTube channel (http://www.YouTube.com/ptodgekin) and you'll hear me do a few things that sound a lot like Vai on the second video. The gear was an Ibanez RG550 with a Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker pickup, a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive pedal, and a Crate GT200 amp, but it sounds very Vai. A lot of it is in how you manipulate the string after you pick it. For instance, on the B string, play a pinch harmonic on the 10th fret but IMMEDIATELY slide up to the 15th, then down to the 12th, then play the note at the 10th fret again (no pinch harmonic this time) but immediately slide to the 12th fret. Done correctly, it should just sound like 3 notes (D B B, or, going by the frets, 15 12 12) but the little phrasing effects make all the difference.

I can't seem to tab this neatly here, so here's just the B string. The very first note is a pinch harmonic, and the very last note should be held, vibratoed for a little while, then slid out of.

--10/15\12-10/12-------(12)\---
Patill

sorry, for me, I can neither hear Steve Vai, nor any sense.

This is no insult, just my opinion to what I´ve heared.
soloist4hire

omg wow. ok, ill say it again....lol. I understand how you play is the most important thing, im talking GEAR tho. ONLY GEAR! not fingers, not emotion, not whether your playing will standing on your head watching america's funniest home videos. Just GEAR.
Patill

well, can you explain to me what especially you can not play? There must be a mark in the song...
Petie

soloist4hire wrote:omg wow. ok, ill say it again....lol. I understand how you play is the most important thing, im talking GEAR tho. ONLY GEAR! not fingers, not emotion, not whether your playing will standing on your head watching america's funniest home videos. Just GEAR.
I understand your question very well but I don't think you understand what it is that you want.

If you can't get Steve's sound with his exact amp and guitar, then no one pedal or piece of gear is going to do it for you. Gear alone simply will not make you sound like Steve Vai. It can't. It might give you the same tone settings and distortion level, but that in itself means nothing. The circuits in all of his gear react directly to the way he plays. His pickup sends a certain type of sound to the amp because of how he picks and frets. The amp processes the sound from the pickup depending on the voltage it sees, as a result of what his picking hand is doing. The speaker reacts to the sound it gets from the amp, which it gets from the pickup, which is translating what Steve's hands are doing on the guitar. Etc etc etc.

If it was as simple as using the same gear, Whitesnake wouldn't have paid Steve a truckload of money to join the band. They would have just bought Adrian Vandenberg a Jem and a Jose-modified Marshall.
RAI

Petie wrote:
I understand your question very well but I don't think you understand what it is that you want.

If you can't get Steve's sound with his exact amp and guitar, then no one pedal or piece of gear is going to do it for you. Gear alone simply will not make you sound like Steve Vai. It can't. It might give you the same tone settings and distortion level, but that in itself means nothing. The circuits in all of his gear react directly to the way he plays. His pickup sends a certain type of sound to the amp because of how he picks and frets. The amp processes the sound from the pickup depending on the voltage it sees, as a result of what his picking hand is doing. The speaker reacts to the sound it gets from the amp, which it gets from the pickup, which is translating what Steve's hands are doing on the guitar. Etc etc etc.

Can this be pinned, or something?
It always drives me nuts when people come in and ask "what pickups should I get/what amp will give me X sound"....
Someone else's opinion isn't going to help you figure out if it's right for you or not.
Just because artist X uses amp Y, doesn't mean that you will get the same sound!

Finding the right sound is a journey. Try anything and everything that comes your way.
Only YOU can decide if it's going to work for you...
soloist4hire

I never asked what i needed to get vai's tone....I got it already. I was asking what piece of gear everyone thought was most important for his tone.. Either his guitar, his amp, or what?
RAI

It's been answered already:
His fingers....
Patill

I do not think his fingers have anything to do with his sound. It is at first the electrical knowledge and the skill of the craftsmen, that make a guitar and an amp sound as it does. The notes somebody plays and the way he plays and accents them has nothing to do with the sound at all. I can differ them by 100%.

Well, to answer your question then soloist4hire, if you don´t have a problem with playing anything, already have his guitar and amp, I´d say the next thing to get is a BadHorsie Wah ;). Next would b a Digitech Whammy. Also, a G-Force or G-System is a very good go, but more expensoive than the others ;).
Also, Steve always had a Harmonizer of Eventide. But don´t ask me for what he uses this precisely.

If you buy a Jemini, you get a small card with his setup, as far as I know.

@Petie: Write some good songs, you got enough skill to do so ;).
Petie

Patill wrote:@Petie: Write some good songs, you got enough skill to do so ;).
Thanks! There are some songs at http://www.myspace.com/peterhodgson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)