Electric Guitar for a Child

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Big Bad Bill

A friend of mine has asked me to look at and amp and electric guitar for a small 8-9 yearr old. The amp was easy (Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt) but finding a range of smaller scale guitars is proving more difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestion other that Squier?
al

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... GUITAR.htm

theres a 34" strat with an amp... definitly get something half size or smaller
Big Bad Bill

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping for something a bit better made. Something that can be properly set up so the nipper has a fighting chance of keeping up his enthusiasm and getting somewhere with it.
DomitianX

I picked up the Ibanez Mikro GIO for my daughter for xmas. Perfect size for her. She is 10 and it fit her hands nicely. Its actually decent quality too. I was impressed when it showed up. FOr $100 I wasnt expecting much, but the neck is straight, stays in tune, etc.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518875X
Desert_Runner

al wrote:http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... GUITAR.htm

theres a 34" strat with an amp... definitly get something half size or smaller
I wouldn't trust argos with guitars...
* A great value introduction to playing electric guitar, featuring:

* The 34 inch electric guitar with 2 single coil pick-ups, 3-way selector switch and chrome hardware throughout.

* Tone and volume control.

* Solid body.

* Finished in 3-tone sunburst.

* Includes: 10 watt RMS amplifier, nylon carry bag, strap, guitar lead, 3 plectrums and spare set of strings.

* Everything you need to start playing immediately!
2 single coil pickups? Forgive me but I can clearly see 3. Looks pretty cheap and nasty too. I'd go with the GIO.
Stephen Brown

Shouldn't have an electric guitar to start. Just my thoughts.
Big Bad Bill

FRETPICK wrote:Shouldn't have an electric guitar to start. Just my thoughts.
Because..........
DomitianX

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Because..........
There's a theory that goes around that beginners should start on acoustics for various reasons (wider string spacings, sometimes nylon strings, louder for better ear training, etc). I never bought it. I gave lessons for 10+ years and kids learned on electrics just fine.
Big Bad Bill

DomitianX wrote:There's a theory that goes around that beginners should start on acoustics for various reasons (wider string spacings, sometimes nylon strings, louder for better ear training, etc). I never bought it. I gave lessons for 10+ years and kids learned on electrics just fine.
Yeah, I'm aware of this idea, I just wanted a comment and an explanation from FRETPICK without having to ask for it! :wink:

I agree with you DomitianX. Learning to play the guitar is hard enough especially for children and their poor attention span. But when there's the added difficulty of a high action, adult scale size and a tone that sounds nothing like your hero's (the nipper's into AC/DC), then a recipe for giving up and turning to PS3/Xbox/Ninendo starts cooking!
Big Bad Bill

DomitianX wrote:I picked up the Ibanez Mikro GIO for my daughter for xmas. Perfect size for her. She is 10 and it fit her hands nicely. Its actually decent quality too. I was impressed when it showed up. FOr $100 I wasnt expecting much, but the neck is straight, stays in tune, etc.

This looks really nice. Thank you so much! I just hope they're easily available in the UK.
Skunkrocker66
Newcomer

Big Bad Bill wrote:
DomitianX wrote:I picked up the Ibanez Mikro GIO for my daughter for xmas. Perfect size for her. She is 10 and it fit her hands nicely. Its actually decent quality too. I was impressed when it showed up. FOr $100 I wasnt expecting much, but the neck is straight, stays in tune, etc.

This looks really nice. Thank you so much! I just hope they're easily available in the UK.
I bought a black one for my son last year and it's been a great little guitar.
+1 for the Mikro
Jeries

at 8-9 have him/her start on an orchestral instrument in school perhaps trumpet (learning a string instrument in elem school is useless and a waste like violin)

then at 13 buy him/her an electric guitar- full size

and even at any age even 8-9 if you decide to not listen to me get him/her a FULL SIZE normal electric guitar

when mozart was 4 and wrote 'twinkle twinkle little star' he didnt use a smaller piano.

although he may be a little OLDER than id suggest piano is a good start as soon as possible
Stephen Brown

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Because..........
All sorts of reasons. Finger control + arch of hand & wrist. More chance of a string snap on higher E's for children who are un-attended. "I told you not to take it out of the case"

A child may have less of an issue with nylon strings cutting into the finger tips.

Of course any kid wants an electric guitar but the main staple of learning has always been done on nylon guitars. Getting the learner to make the instrument work. A electic helps take some of the key learning elements away. Sure you can apply them as it's a guitar but it is not the same as teaching the techniques at root level.

+ It makes them have something to look forward to. A level passed...etc.

Also with an acoustic nylon guitar it does help to teach their ear of pitch. Being easier to hear what is going on.

An electric without an amp can't do that. Ping...

Nylon guitar 3/4 scale & a blow pipe. I can hear it now.lol Wooo :D
Roger

These are the weirdest arguments I've ever heard. If you wanna do something, go out and do it. It's like saying it's better to start cross skiiing if you wanna climb mountains.
Should kids who wants to play the piano start on keyboards too? Do I have to sing classical music before I can sing rock music?

I started playing guitar when I was 8. Did I ruin 20 years of pure rock n' roll joy because I didn't start out on a wind instrument or a violin?

I can give you 6 reasons that electric guitar is easier:

Thinner strings, smaller body, closer between strings making it easier to play chords, the neck is narrower, easier to press down the strings.
And oh, did I mention it looks cooler, sounds cooler, you get more girls and you actually have a bigger chance of having a musical career. Did I say IS cooler?
I child may have less of an issue with nylon strings cutting into the finger tips.
Yes "may" have an issue, but it's not a rule. I'll tell you a story, I played nylon string for 4 years before I started playing the electric. After the first day of electric joy I had blisters on all 4 fingers on my left hand and couldn't play for a week. I didn't care if it hurt, I had FUN. Let me repeat that: F U N !
A electic helps take some of the key learning elements away.
what key elements? what can't I possibly learn on an electric that I just HAVE to have a nylon for?
it is not the same as teaching the techniques at root level.
What is so "root" about a classical guitar? Tradition? The hand and arm positions are exactly the same.
Big Bad Bill

I totally agree with you, Roger. People once started with Spanish or acoustic guitars because electrics were just too expensive to buy and children are fickle in whatever is their current craze. Now, however, electrics and amps are cheap enough to try start out on immediately and I feel a child is more likely to persevere with electric guitar, because of the 'cool' factor.

If Lewis Hamilton had started out in an F1 car, maybe he'd be world champion at the age of 12 (or dead, admittedly!).