DSL Vs. JVM

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).

DSL or JVM?

DSL
10%
DSL
10%
DSL
10%
DSL
10%
JVM
15%
JVM
15%
JVM
15%
JVM
15%

Total votes: 20
llamahead

i thought i was sure with the DSL but then i tried out the JVM and it's damn good too.

it's either a JVM 100 watt 2x12 combo (for convenience) with a 2x12 extension cab (for rocking out :twisted: )

or a DSL100 half stack (since they don't come in 2x12 combos)

the JVM has three little lights on both channels (unless you get the three channel, but im going for the two channel)

DSL is the same but with two modes in each channel :?

what do you guys think?

PS: is there any way i can get a nice fender amp and use that for an extension cab and vice versa?
al

do u need all those extra bells and whistles that he jvm has, i think the dsl sounds nicer, and much simpler,

but id go for the jvm cause of all the extra features

thast me tho
llamahead

thanks Al!!

the JVM is winning in my mind right now because of the convenience and the fact that the DSL is so hard to find :?

and c'mon people i posted this in a public forum for a reason!! :roll:
Jemfever

llamahead wrote:
and c'mon people i posted this in a public forum for a reason!! :roll:
well i guess x vs. y threads are everybody's darling, especially when it comes down to "which piece of gear should i get?"

to get back to the topic: i have a dsl 100head that i've been playing for nearly 9 years now. i like it, mainly because i don't need more than the two basic sounds,e.g. clean & distorted. For all other in-between sounds i use my volume pot on the guitar.

the jvm 100 head offers a total of (i think) 12 sounds that you can store and activate via footswitch. i personally liked the sounds the amp offers, but i think it's hard to compare the dsl and the jvm. they're voiced in different ways. if you need all the sounds that the amp offers, go for it. it's all down to personal preference and personal needs.
check both amps out and then make your own decision.
llamahead

Jemfever is getting me to lean more so to the JVM because of what Jemfever said, about needing the different sounds, i wanna learn everything from AC/DC to GnR to Van Halen. and of course Vai!!! whoo!! :D

also i told a friend of mine while going to the skatepark and he said that the idea with the JVM would be perfect cuz it's convenient and with the ext. cab it's essentially a half stack
Jemfever

I didn't say, you should go for the one or the other. I said, make up your mind about how many sounds you need. Then go out and listen to both amps.
llamahead

Jemfever wrote:I didn't say, you should go for the one or the other. I said, make up your mind about how many sounds you need. Then go out and listen to both amps.
you did make a good point though :wink:
Guitarmiester

First of all, do you really need an extension cab if you were to go with the JVM combo? You should be able to cut through in a band setting with the combo alone. If you're only playing at home or jamming with friends, an extension cab is going to be overkill.

You haven't been too specific with what you're after, so it's hard to help you out. Take a day or two to spend time with each amp. Nobody knows what you want/need better than yourself. I'm not a huge Marshall fan. The JVM is one of the best amps Marshall has released over the past 10 years. I didn't expect much from it, but when I spent time with it I was shocked.

The first thing I noticed is that the JVM doesn't need to be cranked to sound good. Every other Marshall I've played was missing something until it was cranked, but the JVM sounds just as good at bedroom volumes. I spent more time with the amp cranked since I was able to crank it. I was playing the JVM head paired with a Marshall 1960A cab and that thing has some power behind it. There's more gain on tap than anyone could need. I had the gain at 11 o'clock most of the time. With the gain above 12 o'clock, the amp tends to get fuzzy and lose definition.

I don't have a whole lot to say about the DSL and TSL, they weren't really my thing. I found the cleans to be rather dull. It has your typical Marshall sound... nothing more, nothing less.
Splish

I'm fortunate enough to own a DSL, and yes it is a very good amp. However I do consider the JVM to be in another league. The sheer diversity that the JVM offers arguably knocks the DSL into fits.

However, the price tag on the JVM hurts a little more than the DSL :)
llamahead

hahahaaa!!! splish is right about the price but at least i can get a combo. as opposed to 1300 for just the head

and to answer guitarmeisters question: i am getting a 100w 2 channel JVM 2X12 combo. you do have a good point with about the extension cab, you could have saved me a few hundred bucks there, unless i get greedy and wanna look cool with with extension cab 8)