M-Audio Fast Track Pro

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
ibzguitarist

Does anyone else have this thing? I can't get it to record or do anything I want it to do. I simply want to hook my guitar up to my amp then to the Fast Track Pro... my amp is a Fender Champion 30 DSP. Let me know if I'm doing this wrong, as my first instrument I have my guitar plugged in directly to the Fast Track Pro and in the back is a USB cable plugged into my computer. For my TRS output I have the cord that leads from the interface to my amp. My current setup leads to computer-sounding feedback on my amp and reduced volume. What program would I use to record via my computer and would I have to change sound card settings, etc?

Thanks, appreciate it.
Roger

You seem to have gotten the connection wrong.
Plug the guitar into the amp, and from to the amp to the inputs of your FastTrack. I don't know if the amp has a direct out for recording or the like. If not, you'll have to mic the amp.

You could use Ableton Live that's bundled with the card for recording.

Chech this FAQ out supposing you use windows XP. Otherwise just change the OS in the list.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... &keywords=
ibzguitarist

Thanks for the reply, I got the connection right. The problem was that the inputs were not enabled on the panel. My amp has a headphone and foot pedal output but they are irrelevant to what I'm trying to do. There is no direct output, so I was wondering if there is a special dual-1/4" to 1/4" adapter or what did you mean by mic the amp?

I now use GoldWave and Audacity for general guitar track recording.
Roger

I meant putting a microphone in front of the amp. Preferrably a Shure SM57 whick costs around $100.
ibzguitarist

Hmm, I'm trying to resort to spending another fairly large sum because I can't afford it right now. Thanks for the suggestion and help though!

I was wondering if any of the following may work since it should act like two inputs on one.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/292313.html
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search
Roger

I don't get what you want to do with the cables. What do you want to connect with what with those?
ibzguitarist

I was thinking about plugging an adapter into my amp input, one side having the guitar cord and the other side having a cord that goes into the instrument input of the Fast Track Pro. Either that, or plugging the adapter into the Fast Track Pro and feeding one end to the guitar and the other to the amp input, but I doubt that would work or work as well.

If I plug a cord into my headphones input in my amp and feed it to the instrument input of the Fast Track Pro I can hear the amp on the recording but while I play on it because as soon as something is plugged into the headphones section the sound goes into where it is directed.

Or, when I plug my guitar straight into the Fast Track Pro and use the TRS output to go into the amp instrument input I hear the amp while playing but not on the recording.

The second link is the one that should do the trick since I have mono cables and I forgot to consider that when searching for products. Thanks in advanced. 8)
Roger

I was thinking about plugging an adapter into my amp input, one side having the guitar cord and the other side having a cord that goes into the instrument input of the Fast Track Pro. Either that, or plugging the adapter into the Fast Track Pro and feeding one end to the guitar and the other to the amp input, but I doubt that would work or work as well.
You're mixing up signal flows and inputs and outputs. As you're saying yourself, the amp input is an input. The signal only goes into the amp and not out from it. So you can't feed the inputs of your fast track pro from there since no signal is being sent that way. It is an input and not an output.

The other won't work either cause you can't feed with the guitar with a signal. It is sending a signal. Not receiving.
If I plug a cord into my headphones input in my amp and feed it to the instrument input of the Fast Track Pro I can hear the amp on the recording but while I play on it because as soon as something is plugged into the headphones section the sound goes into where it is directed.
The headphone jack is an output and not an input so it is correct that you'll hear your amp on the recording from here.
Or, when I plug my guitar straight into the Fast Track Pro and use the TRS output to go into the amp instrument input I hear the amp while playing but not on the recording.
This is because nothing is sent back into the Fast Track Pro. And please don't with this setup beacuse you will get feedback, and a nasty one that is.

You have to think of which direction the sound (or signal) flows. Like water. It can't go both ways at once. The guitar jack is an output and the input of the amp is...well...an input. No signal is being sent out from it. A headphone jack is an output. Otherwise you wouldn't hear anything in your headphones and a pair of headphones can't produce any audio in itself.
The output of an amp is either the speaker, the headphone jack, or if existant, a direct out.

Still confused?
ibzguitarist

Nope, thanks Roger, any other suggestions besides mic'ing it? You may be right about it being one of the only options. :x
Roger

Great :D

You could take the signal from the headphone jack and plug it into one of the inputs of the Fast Track. I don't know how it sounds, but it's either that or micing the amp.
ibzguitarist

It actually sounds pretty good but I can't hear myself play.. is there a way I can hear through my speakers or something since the Fast Track Pro is supposedly an external sound card?
Roger

I suppose you're talking about your computer speakers that are connected to the integrated soundcard.
You have to connect them to output 1/2 or 3/4 on the back. The RCA-connectors. White is left and Red is right. If you had studio monitors I'd connect them to the TRS outputs.
ibzguitarist

Hmm alright thanks, I tried to connect it but since the speakers are stereo they don't fit correctly. I'll just find the mic you suggested through Ebay, I saw a few pretty cheap yesterday. Thanks a bunch for your help, it's really been appreciated. :D
Roger

You'll need a cable that looks like this:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/282357.html

You're welcome. :D
ibzguitarist

Why's that? I thought a standard microphone cable would work.