Bout to buy a new amp. What's you thoughts?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Lo Lo

I use an multi-effects processor into the clean channel of my Kuston solid-state 2x12 100watt amp for all my sounds. I'm thinking of buying the Workhorse single clean channel 60watt 2x12 tube amp!

My sound is really nice now clean and dirty. Like I said, I go from my multi-effects unit into the clean channel for everything and my clean and distorted sounds are both beautiful. I wass looking for a single channel tube amp and this is what I found. http://www.visualsound.net/Amps_wh.htm I understand why a lot of distortion players want tubes, but I mostly play clean sounds with effects. Would a 60watt 2x12 single clean channel make my sounds any better than a great solid-state?

If so. how and why!

Lo Lo
DiMarzio

If youre happy with your sound, why buy a new amp?
TonyMacalpine

www.ceriatone.com

outside of the JC-120, most of the classic clean tones have come from tube amps. The above link is to a company that makes clones of those tube amplifiers that are customizable. The price is also very good. Probably the best bang for the buck out there.
keithroxx

I've read good things about that amp, and if you are looking for something like that, then yes, I think that would be a consideration.
another amp to consider that takes distortion into the front end well and sounds absolutely magical is the fender deluxe reverb reissue.
talk about vibey!
Lo Lo

I am very happy with my tone. I use a JC-120 model into the clean channel of my 100watt Kustom solid-state. I even get a GREAT sounding deep warm distortion with the multi-effect unit through the clean channel.

I've tried tube amps and pretty much tuned it to get the same sound I get with the solid-state. It's just after reading so much about tubes suposedly sounding better than solids that maybe I'm missing something!

I must admit though, I have lied and told some that my amp is tube and they were all convinced. I've even made my rig sound much better than alot of tube amps out there. You see, I know what sounds I like and how to dial them in. But if I dialed the same tone into a solid and a tube, would the tubes do something that my solid couldn't?

I've been looking at the Workhorse 60watt 2x12 tube combo http://www.visualsound.net/Amps_wh.htm . It have only one clean channel so I can get all my tones from my multi-effects unit. the only dif is than instead of running through a solid clean channel, it would run through a tube clean channel. So far I haven't been able to tell a difference between the two. But from all the info I keep gettin, and all the forums I read, the tube is suppose to sound better, but.......I can't tell!

Is it all technical or real sound differences?

My rig, though I have replaced the DS-1 with a Blues Driver.
bancika

I like tubes more than solid state for both clean and leads. But it would be the best for you to try and compare. Take your guitar to the shop and try all amps :)
Lo Lo

I take my guitar and my board to the guitar shops all the time to try out amps.

The real ? that I want to know, especially from you Bancika is, Why do you like tubes better for clean and leads????

Is there something technical that I don't understand? Or should I just be happy with the great sound that I have?
Zeds.Ded

hey Lo Lo, whats the treadlite sub control pedal do?
Lo Lo

The control pedal on the unit makes it possible for me to turn on and off any effect I program it too. The second sub control (the treadlite) makes it possible to control a second effect, thou either ctl pedal can control multiple effects simotaneuosly in a latched or unlatch config. It's all programable. I use many different effects that change thoughout any given song I play and this makes it possible for me to do these things live on stage. these possibilities is why I use multi-effect boards, instead of stomping on several boxes to change a sound, I simply stomp once! It's all in programing and taking the time to learn how to use the multi-effects boards out there.

And there's my issue....I can plug my board into almost any amp and with a little EQ tweeking, I'll make it sound beautiful. So I keep trying other amps and asking myself, "will a tube amp make me sound any better?"

And so far they haven't. So I seach for the true advantages of tubes in general.....And the search goes on!
bancika

To me SS sounds sterile. I wanted to believe the opposite, tried really hard to avoid spending more money on tubes. But I don't fight it any more. I'm all hooked up to tube gear now :)

one of the (tech) reasons I think tubes sound better is the part count. I like to have the minimum numbers of electronic components between the guitar and the speaker. One IC (integral circuit) chip alone is as complex as an average tube amp. More components mean more changing the natural sound of the guitar.

Also, I also don't like processors. A friend of mine who's all into processors and tried out my all tube 1/2w amp (3 tubes only) totally dry, guitar -> amp -> speaker and was amazed how great lead sound he got. He tries to get that sound by putting few different delays, compressor, emulators of this and that and at the end it's so over-processed that it's crap.

That being said, I'm using line6 pocket pod during my stay in the US, it's just too impractical for me to carry anything else around. Processors have their use, but they still can't replace the real thing IMO.
Also, I have nothing against digital FX (delay, maybe reverb) in the fx loop of the amp.

Again, if you're happy with the way it sounds don't replace it. If you tried something else and don't think it's better don't get it.

Hope it helps.
Cheers :wink:
Lo Lo

I use to beleive that SS amps were very steril too Bancika, until I learn how to munipulate them to my will and ears. I tell ya, there is nothing steril about the sounds I get and I have heard a many steril sounding tube amp!

Steve and Joe uses tubes, but they both have a lot of solid-state pedals throughout thier rig chains. The Edge of U2 uses a HELL OF A LOT of effects and processors yet his sound is lush and full of life. Do you think their sounds would be any less if instead of tube amps at the end of their chains they had good solid-state amps?

My intent is not to understate you Bancika, because my basic question here is aimed at you because after being on this forum over the last two years or so I beleive you have some of the best knowledge here. I was here when you built that little tube amp and I know that you know things that others don't (including myself). But my hears keep telling me that a really good SS amp and a really good tube amp with a really good guitar player can convince me of either amps worth!

Bancika? Do you know of any great sounding guitar players that use SS amps?
bancika

Gee, I'm touched...thanks :)

Actually yes, I know of one player and I like his tone although he's mostly all solid state: Brian May. He used small (less than 5w) solid state amp (called Deacy, built by the bass player) with a booster on many records. And I like his tone. But that amp fits inside my "less components" category. It doesn't have ICs, just few (four) transistors, it has a phase splitter and push-pull output so it has basically the same topology as average tube amp just with transistors instead. I'd really like to try to build something like that when I find time, must be good.

I'm sure there are decent solid state amps. And there are crappy tube amps, that's for sure.

For what I need (low power) I can't find decent commercial solid state amp, all low power solid state amps are low-quality and poor sounding that are meant to be used as "the first amp". On the other hand, great tube amps start with as little as 1/2w (Zvex nano for instance).

And I'm ok with FX just if you place them tactically. I don't like a processor to produce 95% of my sound that will just get amplified by the (tube) amp. None of guys you mentioned do that. All of them shape their sound and get most of the distortion from tube preamp, have effects either before or after preamp and finally go to tube power amp. I have absolutely nothing against that, most of the tone will be created the way I want and effects are just as.....effects, nothing more.

You'll probably not get too much if you keep the same setup and just replace clean SS amp you like with (a good) tube amp. I'd get some dual-channel amp and use a processor just for fx. But that's just me.

Best,
Bane
bancika

And tubes look much cooler 8)
Zeds.Ded

yeah they glow red 8)
bancika

when they glow red it means they're about to die. "Natural" tube glow is orange-ish, output tubes can sometimes glow blue. But if you put a led behind it can glow whatever you want it to glow. :lol: