Loud...but clean!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
musicmanmatt
Newcomer

Greetings Everyone,

Any assistance on my following dilemna would be much appreciated;

I currently use a Mesa Stilleto 1x12 combo for my band's gigs. It's a 50w amp. In order to play at the volume required for our gigs I'm generally having to have the volume knob on about 7/8 - which is fine for the rockier/distorted sounds which some songs call for.

However, some of the songs require just a nice clean tone. But, even on my clean channels when I'm using volume 7/8 the sounds gets too muddy and saturated and isn't a nice pure clean sound.

We aren't that professional a band that we have our amp mic'd up so I can't really keep the volume low and just mic up the clean sounds which I'm sure volume setting 3/4 would produce.

Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

The only thing I could think of was to invest in a 2x12, maybe 4x12 cab so I'm 'moving more air' as they say, so I can keep the volume knob down on the amp but still be loud enough for the gigs.

Cheers for reading!
Matt
NOT!!!

"cooler" Bias!
Luminescence

Are you micing your amp?
Ugur Dariveren

Try turning down gain at clean channel.
musicmanmatt
Newcomer

Hi,

Amp isn't mic'd up unfortunately.

Maybe the Mesa Stiletto just isn't really built for loud, clean tones. I've heard the JSX is really loud, with the clean channel staying really clean all the way up the volume dial.
But then it's a Mesa...it should do everything!
Evai

Turn your amps volume up, and the clean level/gain down?
musicmanmatt
Newcomer

I'll give that a go - I think once I reach the volume I need it's going to create that saturated, muddy tone I don't want.
Do you think the cab idea would help too though?
NOT!!!

yes!

Get a 4x12 cab and cool down your Bias! This will give you more headroom! And yes, you can adjust the Bias on a Boogie. Also try diffrent tubes, there are louder, more aggressive, warmer etc. tubes.

There´s no ultimate tool to reach your wishes, just try to improve small things.

And no, a Mesa can´t do everything, but it does exactly what Mesa says. If you don´t like the amp, which is another option, sell it and buy another!
Lotus Eater

Don't forget that Mesa's are world class leaders in clean tones.....
(insert sarcastic smile here)
musicmanmatt
Newcomer

I believe that Mesa's can deliver world class clean tone. Some of the Petrucci material is crisp and clean through his Mesa. I'm guessing his rack of 4x12's helps...
NOT!!!

Lotus Eater wrote:Don't forget that Mesa's are world class leaders in clean tones.....
(insert sarcastic smile here)
god damn...every amp is diffrent! If one amp of the same manufacturer has a great clean tone, it doesn´t mean every amp has to have a great clean tone.

I hope you understand what I say (now)...
NOT!!!

musicmanmatt wrote:I believe that Mesa's can deliver world class clean tone. Some of the Petrucci material is crisp and clean through his Mesa. I'm guessing his rack of 4x12's helps...
yes, and propably his amp, which means you have to sell your old one and get petruccis (like i said before :roll:)

ah, and by the way..there´s no amp in this world that can handle a clean sound when the volume is turned to 7/8.