Any other Fernandes Sustainer owners - help!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Mattw

The FSK-401 Sustainer Kit installed in my RG570EX doesn't seem to be working correctly. Only the harmonic and mix settings will sustain all over the neck when I fret any note. The fundamental only mode doesn't seem to do anything on most frets. It has worked in the past although that mode has acted this way before. I had put it down to user error, a cable or a pedal but I don't feel that is the case now. Eventually it would work but now nothing for several days. :cry:

I have tried new strings, a new battery and adjusting the little toggles on the circuit board without success. I'm not sure if the mix mode is just giving the harmonic as for sure the harmonic is more prominent.

The pickup selector, tone, volume, intensity pots and on off toggle switch work fine and flicking to the other modes it comes on.

Is three anything I can try or is it just a case of taking it in somewhere?

I'm hoping it doesn't mean I need to buy another as they aren't exactly cheap. I can't seem to find any similar reports so I'm hoping there is an easy solution or it is a one off rough kit - the documentation says they are tested before shipping.
TRIDS

How long have you had it for, what is your bridge pickup, and who installed it?
Mattw

I would guess just over a year - I had the kit professionally installed by a luthier but he isn't close to me - I drove down and left the guitar with him for a several weeks as he had other jobs on the go as well.

My bridge pickup is a diMarzio Evolution which was installed at the same time. I did take my guitar to a local shop who I have used for set ups on my other Ibanez guitars with floating trems. They had a quick look but it worked fine whilst there. Hence at the time I put it down to something I was doing or another piece of my equipment. They actually commented on the quality of the install :?

It's odd as it really seems like only the harmonic part is working consistently. The fact that I haven't found any other reports of issues leads me to thing they are generally a very reliable product. The guitar is just used at home so it hasn't had a hard life really.
Logic

How far are the string away from the sustainer?? should be about a nickle width when fretted at the 12 fret.
Mattw

Logic wrote:How far are the string away from the sustainer?? should be about a nickle width when fretted at the 12 fret.
It's difficult measure with the only tape I have to hand (and the magnet of the driver pickup keeps pulling the metal end of my tape!) but I would say about 1 mm when fretting the high E at the 12th Fret . I don't think the driver pickup could go any higher as when fretting at the 24th fret it is practically touching the raised magnet in the centre of the driver pickup. My action is also about as low as I can get it without loads of fret buzz. The professional who installed it had the full printed instructions with the details of pickup heights for the driver and new bridge pickup. I suppose it is possible they could have moved but they seem pretty tight.
TRIDS

I have never heard of anything like this mine works like a charm except for when the batteries die....hmmmm I will think about this and try to get back at you with an answer.
Mattw

TRIDS wrote:I have never heard of anything like this mine works like a charm except for when the batteries die....hmmmm I will think about this and try to get back at you with an answer.
Thanks! If needs be I'll take it in somewhere but I sure hope it doesn't mean I need a whole new kit as they aren't dead cheap and I'd imagine it would take a while to get one shipped over here again.
aerocol

Hi,

I have a similar problem.........

In normal mode, I get most notes apart from the 24th fret top E and 15th..

harmonic mode is weak all over the top E string....

very odd - still not sorted the problem yet but working on it ....

will let you know if I get any results..

col
Johnny Jam

harmonic mode is weak all over the top E string...
I've got the same problem although the sustainer is very close to the high E-string.
Besides the onboard pots have almost no function at all.
When I use a clean sound the sustainer sounds a bit distorted. I can only change this with reducing the sustainer-intensity, but with this, the sustainer works worse.
Does anybody has a solution for these problems?[/quote]
aerocol

Hiya,

Yes I will do my best to help and I am trying so hard to fix mine. I am in touch with Alan Hoover at Sustainiac ( who is wonderful!!) and I have tried many things on my guitar. It would seem that the problem is to do with guitar setup and the intricacies of the string balance/pickup height etc...

You are correct about teh sustainer gain - too much and its not very musical , just loud and harsh...

I have set mine so high to the Top E that you can only get a sheet of paper between the string and driver... this really helped, but I hav a dead 24th fret in both fundamental and harmonic modes.... hmmmmmmm why this one note??? why the top E when all teh others are fine???

The only thing I have not tried s changing the bridge pickup for a weaker output model... This could help but I'm reluctant to do so when all the other notes work ok....

Col
Mattw

I eventually gave in and took my guitar into a local store for the guitar technician to look at it. He found a dry joint on the mode selection switch and so far it does appear to have fixed the problem. This was a huge relief!
aerocol

Hi

Congrats on sorting this problem..........

I have not been as lucky sorting my issue. I am now trying general different setips on teh guitar to see if this is the cause of the problem. My 24th fret still will not bite onto the note and sustain in either mode on teh high E string........

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr how annoying...

Col