Which amp?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Bababoey

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=483189.

I had a hard time getting some good distorion out of the marshall, maybe because i was unsure oh what the settings to put it on, plus i played it in a guitar center where you they have music being played over on a P.A. system for some reason i will never be able to figure out. But i'll most likely try it out again in the future. im interested in it because its a 50w (which is enough to play a small gig right??) and it did have some good sounding reverb, delay etc.

OR
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=480063

i already own a crate (15 watt) and it took me very little time finding a decent tone. the onboard effects didnt sound as good as on the marshall but idk, inexpensive crate vs. inexpensive masrshall?

which on do you think is the most versital and better over all, or give me a suggestion on an amp anywhere from 200-350 that is gig worthy
quiksilver98

The Marshall MG's suck. Thats all I know.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

quiksilver98 wrote:The Marshall MG's suck. Thats all I know.
Maybe you should elaborate on *why* they suck. Just stating that they do is little helpful.

j
Bababoey

Jeroen wrote:
quiksilver98 wrote:The Marshall MG's suck. Thats all I know.
Maybe you should elaborate on *why* they suck. Just stating that they do is little helpful.

j
agreed.
quiksilver98

Well there tone is very boxy and not very elaberate, but then again, this is coming form someone who is used to valve amps.
bancika

I can say (as MG user) that clean is very decent but distortion is harsh, unnatural, buzzy and it hums alot. Effects sound pretty good, but you can't change much parameters (i.e. delay repeat count).
For non-tube amps I'd rather go with modeling amps than solid state.
They probably come closer to tube sound than SS.
Just my 2c
quiksilver98

bancika wrote:I can say (as MG user) that clean is very decent but distortion is harsh, unnatural, buzzy and it hums alot. Effects sound pretty good, but you can't change much parameters (i.e. delay repeat count).
Just my 2c
My point proven! Muahaha
Bababoey

quiksilver98 wrote:
bancika wrote:I can say (as MG user) that clean is very decent but distortion is harsh, unnatural, buzzy and it hums alot. Effects sound pretty good, but you can't change much parameters (i.e. delay repeat count).
Just my 2c
My point proven! Muahaha
lol ok thank you for your point.

ok well i will forget about the marshall since it isnt just me not being able to dial in a good sound that made it have bad tone.

so now the crate is a top contender.

anyone else have suggestions for an amp $250-$350?
Luminescence

Both those amps suck, hard. If you want to stick with solid state look for a used Roland JC 120 jazz chorus and get a nice overdrive pedal. The best option though, (IMO) is a peavey classic 30. They get some very nice sounds and if you buy used they fit nicely in your price range

Oh yeah, and avoid the fender hot rod amps. Don't assume they're good just because they have tubes

But seriously, don't buy either of the amps you posted, I've played them both and they both sound terrible on the overdrive channel. Also, in response to your "It has the advantage of being 50 watts so its good for gigs", watts don't mean shit. I've played the 100 watt version in a band setting and it is very hard to compete. Tube watts are much louder than SS watts, an orange tiny terror (15w) through a good cab would blow away a solid state marshall or crate
Bababoey

will the peavey classic 30 be loud enough for a gig??

oh and UPDATE

i just got a summer job. so i now will be able to spend up to 400 maybe even 500 dollars on a new amp.

maybe that will help widen the search?

any more suggestions in the $500 dollar range
guyver_dio

That would depend on the gig, I couldn't imagine it would leave you much head room though, but if you can mic it up then your fine. Checkout the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe combos which are 40 watt. They are around the 500-600 dollar mark.
quiksilver98

Maybe buy a Marshall JCM 900 from the bay.
Taylor

I own a MG100 head and the MG 4x12" speaker.

I agree that the overdrive channel isn't the best there is. It... just doesn't... ...something.
How ever, I as many other, do think that the clean channel is very nice. And since I use pedals for distortion, I simply don't use the overdrive channel. The reverb effect in the amp is exactly what I want it to be. So for me personally, it was a nice affordable buy.
If you don't plan to use the overdriven channel it's ok. It is loud when you play and silence when you don't. Suits my needs. Oh, and yes, you get a taste of the characteristic Marshall sound...

IF, my new cover band project starts to pay of, I will probably consider to sell it. Probably because I'm the guy that just want the best if I can justify it.

I'm sorry I can't say anything about the MG50 Combo...
bancika

what about peavey valve king...it's in the price range, all tube, should be good.
When I first got MG I was like "oh, OD channel sucks, but I'll be able to get good dist/preamp in front of clean and it'll be good"...but it's only partially correct. I've been using all tube preamp in front of both MG clean and home-made fender based tube amp. And distortion coming from preamp sounds much, much better on fender. I mean, tubes + MG was much better than OD channel, just it added some sterility to the tone
Luminescence

bancika wrote:what about peavey valve king...it's in the price range, all tube, should be good.
When I first got MG I was like "oh, OD channel sucks, but I'll be able to get good dist/preamp in front of clean and it'll be good"...but it's only partially correct. I've been using all tube preamp in front of both MG clean and home-made fender based tube amp. And distortion coming from preamp sounds much, much better on fender. I mean, tubes + MG was much better than OD channel, just it added some sterility to the tone
Peavey valve kings don't suck, but they aren't great either. I think they're a little better than the fender hot rods but the peavey classics are definitely a better choice. BTW a classic 30 should be plenty loud.

I would try and avoid the hot rods. The cleans are nice but its not the famous fender clean that you would expect. The distortion is horrid, muddy and undefined and there's really no way to dial it in nicely.

Another suggestion is to look for a used silver face fender. They can get some very nice tones, and if you get the blackface mod they will sound even better. I would look for either a super reverb, deluxe reverb, or bassman. Twin reverbs are good too but very very clean, so you would have to rely entirely on pedals for distortion. You can get some good sounds with a pedal into the clean channel, but it doesn't quite capture the feel or warmth of a real tube overdrive

Here's an example of what a super reverb can do
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5FlOJXL4j6k& ... ed&search=