how to use an eq

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
sunai

hey i got a digitech gnx3 abt a month back and i am kinda flummoxed on how to use the eq on the thing!!!the patches sound good but its like sumthin's missin!!!!!pls do help!!!

(gear ibanez grg270,gnx3,marshall mgcd10 amp)
all help is much appreciated
@cheers@
guyver_dio

it's just like adjusting the EQ on an amp, except instead of having the amps of the sound you want right infront of you, you're dealing with preset amps modeled by the GNX which you select to get the sound you're looking for which are stored in red and green channels. When it's on EQ red you're obviously altering the EQ for the amp chosen for the red channel and same goes for EQ green except Digitech make it even more customizable by allowing you to set the frequencies for each EQ range (bass, mid and treble). To change between EQ Red and EQ green, you press the 2nd footswitch (which controls amp channel selection). The rest of it is explained directly on the GNX. First knob controls bass level, 2nd knob control mid frequency, 3rd controls mid level and so forth.

Make sure you've selected the amp and cabinet that closest matches a clean or crunch sound you're looking for in one channel, then select the amp and cab that matches a lead or something in the other channel, then you can go a head and EQ each channel accordingly.

Not sure if this is a help but it's pretty much all there is to it.
sunai

i know how to use the eq!!!
i meant how to use it to get the right tone!!!
the other day i was trying for a mark tremonti setting!i got the amps and other effects nailed but the sound is quite empty!!i feel its bcoz of the eq and i don't know how to use the eq frequencies to complemnt the amp settings!!!
pls help me on this
Lucky

You should have been more specific...I interpreted your original post the same as guyver_dio. As to the sounds in the GNX, I had a GNX-1 and I sure hope that the "3" model is an improvement 'cause after tweaking, twisting, turning and prodding that thing I couldn't get a good tone out of it at all.

As to which settings to use, you're gonna have to experiment on your own. Also, digitech has a user base...you may want to check there and ask on the forums if you haven't already.

One last thing, you'll get a better response from people by not using exclamation points after every sentence. The only thing more annoying than that is using all caps. :)
al

HE'S RIGHT YOU KNOW!!!!!
sunai

k lol guys
no more exclamation marks
TonyMacalpine

I don't think you are an idiot, but I can't exactly tell what you do and don't know, so forgive me if this is too basic or too advanced. I'm just trying to hook you up man.

Well, to my knowledge the eq on the gnx series is semi-parametric. Meaning that you can select the frequencies you want to boost. I'm not sure if there's a Q function in the program, but if there is, let me know and I can explain it to you if need be. That means that there's a control for exactly where the focus of the high mids is and where the low mids are. Bass and treble aren't explicitly defined, but they should be easy enough to figure you.

off hand, a good place for low mids is around 400-500khzs and high mids around 1000-4000khzs. Thats a rule of thumb and you will probably find yourself doing other things at some points.

Also, the amp models on the gnx have active eq, meaning that they add and subtract gain in the tone stacks, as opposed to regular passive amp eq which can only remove gain. This means that you need to use less drastic settings since everything is really sensitive. I'm not certain of the sound you're after, so I can't really tell you what to try with the frequencies. I also don't have a gnx so I can't really try stuff out. I can however give you some general eq info with more specific info from you.
sunai

^^^^^^thanx for the reply

here's the deal-
im usin a rectifier amp model and trying to achieve a mark tremonti tone
the gnx dosen have a q function,and yes the eq is semi parametric.
it has the bass treble n mids for the amp settings but only mids and treble can be altered by the frequency thingy!!i'm not a noob towards using guitar effects but the eq i just don't understand coz its not well explained in the manual.

i'm also trying a touching tongues setting on this thing(i'm using a hypermodel coz there's no amp modellin of the legacy)
but again the tone feels very dry!!!
sunai

i'm sorry if tht wasnt very informative but i jus cant seem to nail what's off!!so im really confused
resha

Burn the manual and use your ears :P
Lotus Eater

Hey Man,
I know what you mean about the difficulty of the eq'ing on those Digitech modeling pedals. I wish I could help but I think they just don't sound good enough. I've tried recording with the RP300A a dozen times and each sound I get is weak and dissapointing. Turn all the knobs you want. It's not an amp. I don't use a single EQ or amp model on mine ever now. Just loop the effects through the amp. So sorry that the only help I can offer is don't bother pulling you hair out over it. You're probably using the unit to the best of it's abilities.
TonyMacalpine

if the gnx3 has a stomp box modeller, you might want to try setting up a low/moderate gain crunchy sound with the rectifier sim and hit it with one of the od/distortions (also with low/moderate gain). Try boosting the bass in the eq (maybe 3 or 4 db's), boosting the low mids (around 400-700) slightly less than you boost the bass (1 or 2 db's), cutting the high mids a few db's around 1k-3k, and setting the treble around 6k. That might work or it might not, but that's the sort of eq curve you'll be going for. Depending on your guitars and amps, you might want to cut the low mids and boost the high mids.

also, try out the setting listed here as a base for the amp sim sound
http://www.mark-tremonti.com/equipment.html

it IS a sim so it won't handle exactly the same way, but I think you can get close.

My other question is what are using to amplify your gnx?
sunai

i'm usin a marshall cd 10 as the output rite now
will be gettin headphones for those soon,tho i jus keep the amp clean and no contour either,i keep the amp very flat
TonyMacalpine

sunai0804 wrote:i'm usin a marshall cd 10 as the output rite now
will be gettin headphones for those soon,tho i jus keep the amp clean and no contour either,i keep the amp very flat
by flat, do you mean all knobs at 5? If so, that's not actually flat. Most guitar amp tone stacks can only cut frecuencies, meaning that 10 would be much closer to "flat" then 5 (since the frequencies get cut over at different rates). Try running ur gnx into the cd input. That would allow you to use the pre-amp model of the gnx in conjunction with the power amp of your amp. Running an amp modeller into the input of an amp is a definite mistake because it would be like running one amp into another. Most of the people I've ever heard of using them amplify them through keyboard amps (which are full range and flat response) or into the power amp section (fx return) of a guitar amp. The sound is a lot more lifelike and clear. It's a definite upgrade from running a pre-amp into another pre-amp which is just overkill.
seljer

actually, with the standard marshall/fender type tonestack (which is used by most amps with the 3 part EQ), the flattest sending you can get is bass 0, mids 10, treble 0