DR Strings

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).

Do you play DR strings?

Yes
8%
Yes
8%
Yes
8%
Yes
8%
No
17%
No
17%
No
17%
No
17%

Total votes: 120
VaiEvo

I just got a job at DR strings as a string tester! I'll be working there, and was told to ask people a question

So, my question is, do you play DR strings? If so, what suggestions would you provide? Improvements? Changes? What are your thoughts?

I'm not advertising, just asking (as it's my job).

I understand a lot of you probably play Ernie Ball (heck I did until I landed this job), they're excellent strings.
guyver_dio

I play DR strings but have been through many other brands before them. I really can't think of any improvements. For me there is no other string brand that can even come close to the lifespan of DR.

I've experienced some brands where everyday becomes a freckin hassle. The bridge goes all out of whack and your constantly having to make dramatic changes to find that floating mid point, but then the next day you have to do it all over again. The DRs are very stable and I can pick up my guitar from day to day and my tuning stays reasonably perfect. Oh and also I have that alien acid sweat, I can rust a set of strings overnight. DR strings I've found stay in better condition for a lot longer and I've yet to break a single DR string and that is the truth.

They are doing something right over there and I don't think they need to change something that works. Congrats on the job btw.
williebee

Been using DR High Beams 9-42 on all my guitars for 4 or 5 years now. Love 'em. Used all other brands over the years, GHS, Fender, Earnie Ball, D'Addario, Gibson. I get a good life span out of DR's. I play out a few times a week and they hold up real well.
guitar88

I use DR Strings and I LOVE THEM! I used for about a year 0.09-0.42 but now I switched to 0.10 - 0.46.

By far the best strings I've ever played!
VaiEvo

That's good to hear that everyone here likes DR strings, I'll have good news for my boss!
Shade

I've only had one experience with DR strings, and unfortunently it was very negative. I bought a pack of bass strings to re-string my ibanez SRX505. After I tuned up, the strings were totally out of wack, intonation was off, and certain notes made really weird overtones, and they smelled funny(jk). I thought maybe I had re-strung them incorrectly, cause back then I was definently new to the whole process. And I also thought that maybe the gauge was different than the previous set.

So I took my bass to the shop to have it worked on and they concluded it was just a bad set of strings. I paid something like 35 bucks for the pack and then to have them be completely un-usable definently wasn't a good thing. But I don't have a grudge or anything against DR from this, I probably got the one bad pack on the entire wall :lol: and I really want to give the guitar strings a try sometime. The people in the store were really surprised that it was a set of DR strings too, and considering the rep. and all the other positive feedback these strings get I really think my experience was way off from the norm XD.
VaiEvo

Shade wrote:I've only had one experience with DR strings, and unfortunently it was very negative. I bought a pack of bass strings to re-string my ibanez SRX505. After I tuned up, the strings were totally out of wack, intonation was off, and certain notes made really weird overtones, and they smelled funny(jk). I thought maybe I had re-strung them incorrectly, cause back then I was definently new to the whole process. And I also thought that maybe the gauge was different than the previous set.

So I took my bass to the shop to have it worked on and they concluded it was just a bad set of strings. I paid something like 35 bucks for the pack and then to have them be completely un-usable definently wasn't a good thing. But I don't have a grudge or anything against DR from this, I probably got the one bad pack on the entire wall :lol: and I really want to give the guitar strings a try sometime. The people in the store were really surprised that it was a set of DR strings too, and considering the rep. and all the other positive feedback these strings get I really think my experience was way off from the norm XD.
Well, that's going to be my job: testing harmonics, overtones, and intonation. Thanks, I'll take note of that, and from what I've heard, chances are you did have a bad set. Then again, the strings aren't for everyone, so maybe the strings you had weren't perfect.
Shade

Yeah, everything I heard about DR strings was good so I was surprised when I got a bad set. I'll give them another whirl next time I change strings though and let you know what I think :).
VaiEvo

Actually, I just put Evergreens on my bass, and I couldn't be happier. That's odd, I feel that they're very bright and fresh... you probably got a bad pair. Try 'em out again.
Shade

Just put some DR strings on my guitar. I LOVE how they feel. The 10 gauge feel as solid as the 11 gauge ernie balls I usually use and am accustomed to.

I'm a DR user now :D .
Big Bad Bill

They're just strings, dude, nothing special.
Shade

I hate it when strings feel too loose, feels like I can't pick hard without them flopping around/causing excessive fret buzz, even with higher action. So I like the strings feel tight and fluid at the same time. I always used 11 gauge and standard tuning to get the tight-ness that I wanted, but some of the "fluid" feel I am after feels compromised. The DR strings feel more balanced to me. Like, I think the low E string of the pack I bought is 46 gauge, but it feels rock solid and tight.
jemgirl

only ernie balls for me.
i`ve tried those dr`s,but i didn`t like them.
rg2550e
Newcomer

im use dr strings and i think is the best strings you can use. and i think they are special good too bend.
Logic

I use the Ernie Ball 9-42's I get the by the box. They stay in perfect tune and when I change them they require no trem agustments. I like trying different thing though. Maybe when I get a fixed bridge I give a go.