Help!....What amp is best???

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
MattMesaBoogie
Newcomer

Need yr pearls of wisdom on my following amp dilemna;

I play in a 5 piece covers band in my local area, playing pubs, clubs and other small to medium size venues.
I need to firstly point out that our gear is NOT mic'd up (apart from the acoustic guitar).
I'm currently playing through a 50watt Mesa Stilleto Ace combo and our other guitarist is going through a 100watt Roland amp. Although 50watts of Mesa should be loud enough my sound is getting drowned out by the Roland, even when I'm on full volume.
Am currently thinking of trading my Mesa in a Peavey JSX combo, which gives a mega 120 watts of power. Some people think I'm nuts swapping a Mesa for a Peavey.

What do you think??
Thks for yr help as always.
Lucky

Matt mebbe try adjusting your eq so that you have more midrange, if you haven't tried that already. In a band mix, a lot of your amp's frequencies get drowned out by the bass and drums but...you own the mids! :lol:
Lotus Eater

Lucky's right.
Learn to love the mids, use them to your advantage.
Also, if you need assistance boosting your descision about the JSX,
just hop over to satriani.com
MattMesaBoogie
Newcomer

Thanks guys, you've been a great help.

Perhaps my settings are a bit too bass heavy at the moment, hence I'm not really cutting through.
Not being very experienced on this sort of thing I'd put it down to the wattage on the Mesa not being large enough...

I'll get tweaking my mids up and hopefully it'll pay off.

Cheers!!
al

try using an equaliser pedal, there great little pedals, or an overdrive,
j.arledge

the mesa should be loud enough to get over your other guitar players roland and the drummer. does the mesa have 6l6s/el34s or el84s and what are your settings ? do you have it running at the right ohm rating ?

i owned a jsx and it wasn't my cup o tea at all . If you like the british tone and don't mind a little fuzz the peavey 6505+ or 5150 II maybe a better choice for you, they sound good alone but in a band they shine . you'll cut through and have plenty of volume .
seljer

I believe the Mesa Stiletto runs on two EL34 And the Roland is obviously solid state.
There should definitely be enough power in such an amp for your situation.

Like mentioned, experiment the EQ, theres no point fighting the bass, kick drum and cymbals for frequency ranges you can't compete in, the midrange is where you guitars can open up. The presence control is also a valuable tool for being noticed in these situations.
Is the Mesa the 1x12 or the 2x12 version? If it's just the 1x12 I'd look into an extension cabinet. Also, try mounting the amp up higher rather than having it on the floor.

of course, you could always just ask the other guys to turn it down a bit
MattMesaBoogie
Newcomer

Hi Guys,

Yep, the Stiletto runs on EL34s through a 1x12. Checking out my EQ settings last night and they are bass heavy.
They were on:
Treble - 9oclock
Mid - 9oclock
Bass - 3oclock

Have now adjusted to:
Treble - 12oclock
Mid - 12oclock
Bass - 2oclock

Hopefully that should be a bit better.

Plus, have taken into account the point of raising the combo up off the floor....
May get an extension cab too - once I have the $$$. Especially if it's gonna be a Mesa cab.

Thanks again everyone!
j.arledge

yeah the 1x12 can only put out so much sound , and getting it off the floor will certainly help you get better projection .

as far as cabs , mesa makes excellent cabs but ultimatly your paying a lot for the name .

used carvin legacy cabs are usually very reasonable , and they are well built , i have a 4x12 that i run my mesa through .

you may also check out www.avatarspeakers.com . they make some great stuff at really reasonable prices .

as far as your setting go , check out mesa's suggested settings in the owner's manuel . mesas are known to be very very sensitive and very interactive when it comes to the tone controls . Typically the treble knob has the most sweep/power on mesa amps but anyways the suggested settings are a good place to start .

an extension cab will really let you lay into the amp and get a much much larger sound and feel .
MattMesaBoogie
Newcomer

Think I'm gonna take up the additional cab option....

Will check out what makes/models I can afford and will certainly take on board yr opinions and advise. Only problem with the Carvin cabs is I'm based in the UK and you hardly see any of those available in the stores.

You've certainly saved me forking out for a JSX only to have the same probs and have been much more of a help than the guy and our local guitar shop who just laughed at the fact we didn't have our amps mic'd up (great help huh?)
Jai0705

I would think 50 watts should be plenty to get heard, i mean that's loud...i would go with an external speaker cabinet. The Carvin Legacy 2x12 is awesome for that.
seljer

just get something with Celestions in it, can't really go wrong. Vintage 30s if you want it loud
MattMesaBoogie
Newcomer

When setting up my extension cab do you think it would sound best if I were to simply put it right next to my combo or would it create a better overall sound if I were put at the other side of the stage - so in effect my sound is coming from both the left and right of the stage rather than from one area? Or does it not really make a difference?
DiMarzio

MattMesaBoogie wrote:When setting up my extension cab do you think it would sound best if I were to simply put it right next to my combo or would it create a better overall sound if I were put at the other side of the stage - so in effect my sound is coming from both the left and right of the stage rather than from one area? Or does it not really make a difference?
It depends.

If you have your amp micked (cant remember how to spell that, but i hope you understand anyway) up it wont be a problem to just have the combo and the speaker on the same side, on the other hand if that isnt the case i would sugest you do as you said to move the speaker to the other side of the stage.. cus it will affect the sound immage if you dont
Mr. Supertron

MattMesaBoogie wrote
Yep, the Stiletto runs on EL34s through a 1x12. Checking out my EQ settings last night and they are bass heavy.
They were on:
Treble - 9oclock
Mid - 9oclock
Bass - 3oclock

Have now adjusted to:
Treble - 12oclock
Mid - 12oclock
Bass - 2oclock

I EQ my amp like that. When I started playing guitar an experiance guitar player ( 29 years at the time) helped me with this and eqed it that way. It works the best. I showed that to my friend who was having problems with his clean volume and it help a lot.