Most powerful amplifiers?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Ultraviolet

This is a topic for POWER HOUNDS :headbang , and to list, converse, or talk freely about the most powerful beasts ever come across, guitar head, rackmount, home audio, or automobile.

note> all amps listed must have a total harmonic distortion factor of 1% or less to qualify 8) If you're not sure of the thd% factor of the particular amp you have in mind, just ask the manufacturer, if they don't tell you, then there is significant reason to doubt the clarity of the device. If they have nothing to hide, they will list it in the specification sheet purchased, or they will gladly tell you. It's easy to say the "model-x" amp says "500 watts rms" on it, but if you don't know the thd% of the unit, then you really don't know how many of those 500 watts are actually being fed continuisly to your rig? can you dig it? Let the games begin, this should be fun :)
seljer

haha, a guitar head with less than 1% THD
I don't think there are any power tubes that can even do that, not even in an ultralinear setup,

Orange have a 200w tube amp out (the Thunderverb, came out just recently I believe), but they did them in the past as well.

I think Hiwatt did them in the past as well (in David Gilmours live rig with Pink Floyd).

Marshall built a 200W tube amp for short while in the early 70s (those Marshall Majors, I believe John Frusciante has one).

and Ampegs have got their tube SVTs with 300W...but those are bass amps, though I guess you could still put a guitar through it :twisted:

Fender once did a 300w and a 400W tube amp (the 400 PS Bass and 300 PS)

and theres that 300w Crate Blue Voodoo which I'm not really too fond of.

just find an amp 2 or 3 pairs of KT88s/6550s and you'll have plenty of power.

though personally, I find that all of those are just excess (unless you're a bassist)
I don't see how any guitarist needs more than 100W out of a tube amp. That's already fucking loud. Just do the classic thing and build yourself a wall out of them if it not enough for when you're playing stadiums (if you anyone still is these days :? ) it looks cooler
http://www.vai.com/Machines/images/live ... razz02.jpg

and tube power amps for guitar are just something magical compared to solid state, the way it starts to get when turn it up mainly :D
(but yeah, solid state is better for the other stuff)

I'm searching through my bookmarks but I found a page where somebody made himself a 1000W tube amp out of an old high power tube out of a radio transmitter :shock:
Tao-RG

it has been built a 600 watt rms tube amp from crate

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SY7mvH8wFdE

i dont know anything about it ^^
Ultraviolet

Ok ok ok,.....so the thd% quota excludes TUBE amps :) lol, ha ha...as I usually use transistor amps, but you definately have a good point.
That's some serious power on those heads you listed, and I agree fully with you when I say that 100 watts of tube is like 300 watts of solid stade,...more than hairy enough donkey balls,...to rip down a wall :) I like the Peavey tripplexxx or the 5150.
BlindVision48

Would combined amps be louder than just one amp, Im trying to approach thhis scientifically.
Ultraviolet

I guess that depends. In most cases,..the more the merrier,...like 2 crown powerbase3's, on two Krank full stacks, would destroy 1 Peavey tripplexxx, mated to 3 full stacks.
seljer

BlindVision48 wrote:Would combined amps be louder than just one amp, Im trying to approach thhis scientifically.
if we take the decibel scale, "+10dB" (well from +6dB to +10dB, depends on what kind of sound it is,) is roughly "twice as loud" to our ears
however, when talking about the actual acoustic power, +10dB would mean that its 10 times more powerful!
so a 50W amp is only twice as loud as a 5W one!
and when adding them up its multiplied, meaning to have it +20dB or four times "louder" the amp would need to be 100 times more powerful

using 2 of the same amp would basically double your power, but that only adds 3dB, which to the perceived volume is not a whole lot. But having twice as many speaker probably helps a good bit at projecting the sound around.

but decibels are just a rough estimate on how "loud" something seems to us and there are many many things that factor into it: the actual frequencies of the sound, odd and even harmonics, the acoustics of the room, etc...
(these are among the reasons why tube amps are louder than solid state ones of the same wattage)

and there are plenty of ways other than sheer power to make your guitar amp louder, different cabinets for example (a 4x12 .vs. a little 1x10, closed back .vs. open back), speakers (different speakers have different efficiencies, for example the Celestion Vintage 30s and their Centuries easily add a few +dB compared to G12T-75s), the way you EQ it, the characteristics of the distortion, where you place your amp....
Last edited by seljer on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlindVision48

Wow,, good job.
j.arledge

mesa boogie . my mark 3 is loud as hell . i took it outside back when i lived in the country and even outside i didn't get it above 6 .
Lucky

The ones that have a great player on the other end of the cable. :P
guyver_dio

I've had my 125watt rms peavey duece VT combo on 8 in a pub before. This sounds impressive but this is what it actually took to equal the level of our second guitarist who has a jcm900 half stack. Now that I'm powering a quad with my combo amp my amp rarely goes over 4 to reach the same level it had at 8 just powering 2 speakers.

Decibels are a funny thing. Quite a large venue we were measured at 114db, I was told that to reach something like 116 - 118db you'd pretty much have to double the volume we were playing at.