Stock pickups better than Evo II

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
1118916GB

HOw is it that I have 2 guitars an Ibanez GSA and an Ibanez AXS32 that pickup pinch harmonics a lot better than my 3rd guitar, an Ibanez RG1570 with an Evo II Bridge??? Is there something wrong with my pickup? I thought Evo II's were supposed to be hot. How can a stock pickup be better than an Evo II???
1118916GB

Come on how come no1 seems to answer this post?
al

put the pickup closer to the strings and it will go whhhhhooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and then u can go Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

if u get me ;) anyways stop being impatient and get it set up right, maybe thats whats wrong ill choose dimarzio over stock ibanez's any day 99% of people will... And evo's are super hot... id look at electronics
1118916GB

It was as close as possible to the strings and it still wasn't hot compared to the stock pickups. instead the signal and sustain faded in like 3 seconds.

there is something wrong with the setup then isnt there...?
RAR!

If its too close, the magnets in the pickups will draw the string and kill your sustain.

Try moving them back a little.
1118916GB

no matter where the Evo II pickups are, they don't sound as hot as the stock pickups in my other guitars. whats up with that?
bkornaker1977

if you installed the pickup yourself ( or not) , check the red wire and make sure its connection is very tight. A lose connection causes loss in output.
j3

1118916GB wrote:no matter where the Evo II pickups are, they don't sound as hot as the stock pickups in my other guitars. whats up with that?
Not saying you're that foolish, but I've seen customer guitars where the customer didn't know what to do with the coil link and so they soldered everything but the hot wire to the negative post. This puts the pickup in single coil mode. On dimarzio, Black and White wires should be soldered together. If you do choose a coil-cut mode, the B/W coil link should only be grounded on in specified positions. If you made this mistake and are curious, just detatch the coil link from the switch so that it's always in HB mode, see if your vol/harmonics come back and then troubleshoot if that was indeed the problem. If nothing gives, switch your pickups with the stock ones on your other guitar to see if the guitar is just quieter by comparison.
1118916GB

the idiot who installed my pickup in All County Music store installed it as a single coil. I took it back and he fixed it up out of improvisation instead of looking at the official blue prints. I'm not the one who soldered it. Yea the pickups were a little hotter. I'm just gonna take it to Guitar Center to fix it up. I hope it'll solve the problem.
j3

1118916GB wrote:the idiot who installed my pickup in All County Music store installed it as a single coil. I took it back and he fixed it up out of improvisation instead of looking at the official blue prints. I'm not the one who soldered it. Yea the pickups were a little hotter. I'm just gonna take it to Guitar Center to fix it up. I hope it'll solve the problem.
Glad you could find the easy fix. Single-coil tapping sounded like the problem according to your description. IMO Guitar Center usually is not the best place for guitar repairs. They don't pay enough to get a really good tech so you usually end up with an 18 year old (who may very well be a master tech in about 10 years) with an aptitude for electronics, but very little experience or a guitar player that's been playing for decades and fixing things on their own but without real aptitude for electronic circuits and soldering. That being said, I'm sure there are decent techs at a few of the 5,000 Guitar Centers.... it's pretty much luck of the draw unless you go to a really reputable guitar repairman. Even that being said, structural guitar repairs are an entirely different skill from electronics wiring, so even some of the best guitar makers can't solder for ****. You might as well just teach yourself, someday it will come in handy. Stew mac has some good videos (for beginners) on wiring.
1118916GB

how do you take the pickup out when the strings are in the way? And its a floyd rose so I'm not taking the strings out. And who has the official schematics for the Evo II for an Ibanez RG1570? I've asked this before and JemGirl has helped but I want a picture or an idiot proof explanation to wire this Evo II. It would really help. Thanks
j3

1118916GB wrote:how do you take the pickup out when the strings are in the way? And its a floyd rose so I'm not taking the strings out. And who has the official schematics for the Evo II for an Ibanez RG1570? I've asked this before and JemGirl has helped but I want a picture or an idiot proof explanation to wire this Evo II. It would really help. Thanks
If you unsolder the leads, just resolder the other pickup in the exact same way it's currently soldered in your other guitar. With Dimarzios, red is usually hot, black and white go together and are grounded in the 4th position, green and shield are always grounded. After you've desoldered the leads, undo all the pickguard screws then undo the pickup screws. Take 2 of 3 or 4 springs out of the trem block. Remove the pickup by diving the bar for clearance, then replace pickup, wire in ne pickup, replace trem springs and you're done. The right way is to remove the strings, but you have to know how to replace them the easy way, that's a whole other discussion...
1118916GB

oh my god I'm taking it to someone so they can do it. That sounds like a way to screw your guitar up if you don't know what to do.
Texter

Maybe they strings are hitting the upper fretregions when you pinch the harmonics. That would be the simplest explanation. You might want to try raising the trem a little and/or using a lighter pick.
1118916GB

the pickups are the same distance and I used the same pick on all guitars. There are no differences except that the Evo II isn't as hot ass the stock pickups. I'm just going to have it checked by a professional