a good distortion pedal

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
j1mi_h3ndrix

hey im playing through a carvin halfstack with nothing but a wahwah

and im looking for something that would make it have a really metal sound

any one know of somethin?
j.arledge

i was personally interested in a rocktron silver dragon. They look cool and all the reviews are fairly good, but i dont have a rocktron dealer anywere near me so i can't say if it is good or not for sure.

But you can check it out yourself here.

http://www.music123.com/Rocktron-Silver ... 6980.music

http://www.rocktron.com/
StoRBa
Newcomer

I personally like the Ibanez Tone-Lock SM7 a.k.a. Smash Box. That's the one I have. You can get a real razor blade distortion or a smooth warm sound out of it. It gives you great sustain and has a noise gate (you can choose off, 1 or 2) to reduce unwanted noise or feedback. It's made of steel so it won't brake easily. And it doesn't even cost too much. I'd suggest trying!
alienillusions
Banned

StoRBa wrote:I personally like the Ibanez Tone-Lock SM7 a.k.a. Smash Box. That's the one I have. You can get a real razor blade distortion or a smooth warm sound out of it. It gives you great sustain and has a noise gate (you can choose off, 1 or 2) to reduce unwanted noise or feedback. It's made of steel so it won't brake easily. And it doesn't even cost too much. I'd suggest trying!
I've got one of those, and it's great, but it's definitely not a metal pedal. Try out a Zoom Tri-Metal. I own that one and man, it has a thick, meaty, very heavy distortion, much more powerful than a Metal Zone. It's analog too! It's the only quality thing Zoom ever made...
j1mi_h3ndrix

thx guys 8) :D
ScreamJem7

Definitely check out the Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor.

This pedal is definitely not your father's Tube Screamer!
j.arledge

i had one and thought it was shit myself, it was a bit to nu-metal and not enough just metal
StoRBa
Newcomer

alienillusions wrote: I've got one of those, and it's great, but it's definitely not a metal pedal. Try out a Zoom Tri-Metal. I own that one and man, it has a thick, meaty, very heavy distortion, much more powerful than a Metal Zone. It's analog too! It's the only quality thing Zoom ever made...
I think you can get a really good metal sound out of the Smash Box. :roll:
I haven't tried the Tri-Metal, though, so I don't know what it is compared to that. But it's no just the pedal that makes the sound. There's a lot more to it: amp, pickups etc.
knarfzednem

i got a really good heavy rock sound from the smash box,but i play guitar for my friends' metal band and use a boss metal zone.it gives me a real crushing sound but i also run it through a patch on my digitech rp200.
Melodic Dreamer

Check out a MXR Dime Distortion or a Mesa Boogie pedal.
j1mi_h3ndrix

thx again lol
another virtuoso

Melodic Dreamer wrote:Check out a MXR Dime Distortion or a Mesa Boogie pedal.
if your looking for a super heavy sound, dime distorion is a good choice
also
I have an MXR Doubleshot distortion which is a pretty versitile pedal with 2 seperate channels both with their own level, bass, mid, treb, gain settings, and also has 2 'focus' buttons which make for a cooler sound, i play with the top one depressed most of the time, press them both in and you have a pretty evil sound.
j1mi_h3ndrix

another virtuoso wrote:
Melodic Dreamer wrote:Check out a MXR Dime Distortion or a Mesa Boogie pedal.
if your looking for a super heavy sound, dime distorion is a good choice
also
I have an MXR Doubleshot distortion which is a pretty versitile pedal with 2 seperate channels both with their own level, bass, mid, treb, gain settings, and also has 2 'focus' buttons which make for a cooler sound, i play with the top one depressed most of the time, press them both in and you have a pretty evil sound.
yeah i was thinking about trying to have a sound like dime's
sik1shredder

Get a DigiTech RP50. You can make your own effects, and you can mess around with it to pretty much get your own sound.
jemmaster7

I have a Boss Ds1 Distortion pedal it puts out some really good heavy and shred distortion.