Tried the JSX head.....and it ROCKS!!!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
alienillusions
Banned

Tried the JSX head.....and it ROCKS!!!

#1 Post by alienillusions » Fri May 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Damn! Tried this puppy out today with my JS 1200, and I have to say, it blows any amp I've tried out of the water. I did some really hard flamenco type strumming rhythms and it would not distort, no matter how loud it was. The crunch channel has a LOT of balls and the ultra is very very nice. I don't know why some people say it has too much distortion. I guess it's mostly people with not much gigging experience under their belts.... It's a very versatile amp, and I am mos def gonna get the 212 combo when it arrives this summer. This is a ROCK AMP of mammoth proportions with tasty distortions... :D

RAR!

#2 Post by RAR! » Fri May 27, 2005 8:22 pm

I have one, its my favorite amp.

It does have a ton of gain, i run my crunch on about 3 on the gain, and the ultra at 4!

Its just too bad my cab sucks :) but thats a whole 'nother issue.

alienillusions
Banned

#3 Post by alienillusions » Fri May 27, 2005 10:24 pm

RAR! wrote:I have one, its my favorite amp.

It does have a ton of gain, i run my crunch on about 3 on the gain, and the ultra at 4!

Its just too bad my cab sucks :) but thats a whole 'nother issue.
JSX cabs are coming this summer with top secret "special features"! :shock:

RAR!

#4 Post by RAR! » Sat May 28, 2005 9:37 am

Hmm. . . hard to imagine a cab having "features" other than the imput jack. . . and castors. :)

Guitarmiester

#5 Post by Guitarmiester » Sat May 28, 2005 10:16 am

If you want to know about the 'top secret' (as you put it) features, I think on Satch's site somewhere, probably in the forum, there was a lot talk about the JSX cab... I think I remember something about a new type of foam being used with the speakers or something, and a few other things. I wouldn't really call it 'special features', it is more like a needed component. I've tried out the JSX head for like an hour last month in a store, it was hard to stop playing it, by far the best head I've EVER used. Believe it or not though, the only people who are complaining that it doesn't have enough gain are the people or kids that need walls and walls of gain to cover up crappy and sloppy playing. JSX head has more than enough gain, if you anyone wants more gain, just throw in some 'hotter' tubes to put the amp well over the top! I'll eventually buy the JSX head....once I get the money to put towards it. When I played through it, I think it was hooked up to the Peavey XXX cab, didn't sound bad at all. Once the JSX cab comes out, the JSX stack will probably the be the best buy for serious musicians/tone freaks, may be pricey, but will be well worth the money.

alienillusions
Banned

#6 Post by alienillusions » Sat May 28, 2005 3:27 pm

Guitarmiester wrote:If you want to know about the 'top secret' (as you put it) features, I think on Satch's site somewhere, probably in the forum, there was a lot talk about the JSX cab... I think I remember something about a new type of foam being used with the speakers or something, and a few other things. I wouldn't really call it 'special features', it is more like a needed component. I've tried out the JSX head for like an hour last month in a store, it was hard to stop playing it, by far the best head I've EVER used. Believe it or not though, the only people who are complaining that it doesn't have enough gain are the people or kids that need walls and walls of gain to cover up crappy and sloppy playing. JSX head has more than enough gain, if you anyone wants more gain, just throw in some 'hotter' tubes to put the amp well over the top! I'll eventually buy the JSX head....once I get the money to put towards it. When I played through it, I think it was hooked up to the Peavey XXX cab, didn't sound bad at all. Once the JSX cab comes out, the JSX stack will probably the be the best buy for serious musicians/tone freaks, may be pricey, but will be well worth the money.
Actually, the "special/top secret" features or whatever is a quote from Satch himself...I agree with everything else... :D

goodwill559

#7 Post by goodwill559 » Sat May 28, 2005 4:55 pm

Yeah, the JSX is a really great sounding head.
It had been at the top of my list untill i auditioned the Legacy combo, which is what i eventually got.

Melodic Dreamer

#8 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Sun May 29, 2005 3:53 am

Honestly, I want tubes to maybe take away some gain. lol

I'm being dead serious.

Ffats

#9 Post by Ffats » Sun May 29, 2005 9:42 am

Dang, I was hoping the special features might have been a built in attenuator (like a Hot Plate). :(

Birdman

Yep

#10 Post by Birdman » Mon May 30, 2005 7:37 pm

I agree MD. I was the same a few years back, nothing had enough gain. But now, once you hear something and play something that sounds great, and has a "natural" gain (if you know what I mean), you soon realise that you don't need or want a whole heap of it. I realised this the other day, I used to play with a 5150 combo amp, and used to run the gain at about half way on the lead channel. Sounded great. Then I got the JCM800 running through vintage celestions in a JCM quad, and although it sounded great, for a while i was still looking for more gain sometimes, and would run the EQ pedal alot to give it that gain. Last week, at a gig, the singer used my 5150 combo for a few songs and I could NOT dial enough gain out of the bugger. hahaha. I could not believe how much gain that amp had, and that i ran it like I did etc. There's a whole "warmth" and 'feel" that comes with good valve amps that has nothing to do with gain and distortion.

RAR!

#11 Post by RAR! » Mon May 30, 2005 10:33 pm

Melodic Dreamer wrote:Honestly, I want tubes to maybe take away some gain. lol

I'm being dead serious.
I understand totally man, I think when I retube this thing Ill try some of those 12AU7 tubes to cut the distortion a bit. Well see how it goes. :)

Melodic Dreamer

Re: Yep

#12 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Tue May 31, 2005 4:11 am

Birdman wrote:I agree MD. I was the same a few years back, nothing had enough gain. But now, once you hear something and play something that sounds great, and has a "natural" gain (if you know what I mean), you soon realise that you don't need or want a whole heap of it. I realised this the other day, I used to play with a 5150 combo amp, and used to run the gain at about half way on the lead channel. Sounded great. Then I got the JCM800 running through vintage celestions in a JCM quad, and although it sounded great, for a while i was still looking for more gain sometimes, and would run the EQ pedal alot to give it that gain. Last week, at a gig, the singer used my 5150 combo for a few songs and I could NOT dial enough gain out of the bugger. hahaha. I could not believe how much gain that amp had, and that i ran it like I did etc. There's a whole "warmth" and 'feel" that comes with good valve amps that has nothing to do with gain and distortion.
Yea, I was the same way a long time ago. My Fiance is getting ready to buy me a THD Flexi 50. I can't wait to get that amp. Got a feeling I won't be using the JSX as much when I get the Flexi. I'm kinda a one channel guy anyway. Anymore I'm going for a Brett Garsed/Scott Henderson type feel.
RAR! wrote:I understand totally man, I think when I retube this thing Ill try some of those 12AU7 tubes to cut the distortion a bit. Well see how it goes.
Let me know how that works out.

alienillusions
Banned

#13 Post by alienillusions » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:49 am

RAR! wrote:

I'm being dead serious.
I understand totally man, I think when I retube this thing Ill try some of those 12AU7 tubes to cut the distortion a bit. Well see how it goes. :)
Why not just turn down the gain knob, or use the crunch channel for leads instead of the ultra? I had the head cranked to 10 in the store and there was no way there was too much gain. It had balls, and had more of a rock tone than a metal one.

Melodic Dreamer

#14 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:33 am

alienillusions wrote:
RAR! wrote:

I'm being dead serious.
Why not just turn down the gain knob, or use the crunch channel for leads instead of the ultra? I had the head cranked to 10 in the store and there was no way there was too much gain. It had balls, and had more of a rock tone than a metal one.
Dude, I don't even use the Ultra channel. I only use the crunch channel and my gain is on 4 1/2. To much gain = to much natural compression which = less dynamics = which in return isn't what I'm looking for.

I know gain makes everything sustain and easier to play, but anymore I can legato even on a clean channel amp all day long. I hate a compressed sound. Gain brings compression, plain and simple.

Suzo
Newcomer

#15 Post by Suzo » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:35 am

Hi everyone! :)

I have a JSX, I agree it rocks! I find the tones so versatile. When we got it, it was for a great price too, which is rare in London!