Mark IV settings???

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
PJRox

Mark IV settings???

#1 Post by PJRox » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:15 pm

Hey guys, just wondering if any Mark IV owners have any sweet settings they'd like to send my way. I've gotten some out of this world cleans but so far the distorted tones have been pretty metallic...not very smooth (ala Santana, Petrucci, whatever)...this amp actually sounds kinda Marshall-y...I've been getting some over the top crunch tones, but anyone know how I can smoothen things out?

Ffats

#2 Post by Ffats » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:42 pm

What are you putting the master vol at?

NOT!!!

#3 Post by NOT!!! » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:19 pm

Mark IV?

Santana? Try a Mark I!

You won´t really get a smooth tone out of the Mark IV! You will get a smoth tone out of your guitar by setting the tone poti low, but that will cut your highs a lot!

Try A Mark II C+ or a Mark I! You can keep your highs and your sound is just warm warm warm!

PJRox

#4 Post by PJRox » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:32 pm

My master is usually anywhere from 3 to 7 when I'm recording...

The Mark I reissues blow...and I don't trust any amps that are as old as an original Mark I.
Are Mark IIc+'s really worth the price tag? I don't want to spend G's on an amp with tones that a $500 Peavey or Fender could do easily, which has happened to me before. I bought a 1967 Marshall Plexi and a Soldano SLO-100 (two big hyped up amps) and was let down both times. I'm just a bit skeptical about the Mark IIC+...

PJRox

#5 Post by PJRox » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:49 am

NOT!! is the only one in here that owns one of these babies?

miker

#6 Post by miker » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:30 pm

NOT!!! is anything if not consistent... but anyone into Mesa Boogies is OK by me.

Anyways... I noodled around for about 30 minutes just now working on the lead channel and going from a total metal Marshall-type sound to a more vintage type distortion... like Ted Nugent on "Stranglehold" say kinda mebbe... (guitar plugged straight into amp, no other effects).

Smooth sound like Santana? ...I doubt there are many MK I/II users that could do that... :lol:

OK This is a more vintage type crunch sound... vs a shred metal type of sound (at least IHMO). This is not the ultimate sound... it is an example OK? Here we go:

On the rear of the amp, I got reverb on 5, SIMUL CLASS/CLASS A switch set to SIMUL CLASS, TRIODE/PENTODE switch to TRIODE. On front, GRAPHICS EQ is set to AUTO R2 (not using slide settings) and LEAD VOICING is set to MID GAIN. I got power setting on TWEED.

OK basically, very basically... max the Lead Drive and back off on the Lead Gain and you will get that really metally sound. I don't seem to have much need for distortion pedals with this amp. Max the Lead Gain and back off on the Lead Drive and you will get a more vintage type of distortion. In this example, I got the lead gain knob pulled out for FAT.

You can really get different tonal variations by playing around with the knobs and switches.

I'm lazy, hence the slow response to your question... as you can see... asking for settings on a Mark IV is a bit complex, at least for me... mebbe I'm slow. You may also notice that I have pretty much neglected settings for the other two channels (i.e., R1 and R2) and just focused on LEAD.

I'm still learning the amp... so I hope this is somewhat in line with what your looking for. Let me know what you think and what settings you come up with. Hopefully this gives you a starting point towards a more Santana type sound.

PJRox

#7 Post by PJRox » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:21 pm

See thats my problem, it's really easy for this thing to get a good vintage crunch sound.
But I need smooth...basically I want this to sound like a Mesa, and not a hot rodded JCM800, which is what it sounds like right now.
It's ironic that the Mark IV is probably the most Marshall-y amp I've owned (even more than my new Marshall :P).
While it's still one of the best amps I own, I feel that all three channels are lacking. My buddy's Fender Deville walks all over channel one/clean of this amp. Channel two is hard to push to it's fullest potential, and Channel 2 just sounds like a dimed Marshall. Can't even come close to things like Petrucci or Santana...but I guess that's unrealistic.

miker

#8 Post by miker » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:17 pm

Wow. Guess you bought the wrong amp. Sorry.

I max the lead drive and back of on the lead gain and I got the death metal Marshall-type sound... I max the lead gain and back of on the lead drive and I got a vintage type 80's rock sound... and if I max them both (been playing around with that recently) it seems to get pretty smooth (well in my alternate reality and also IMHO), especially thru the neck pick-up. So just on lead channel, I can get three pretty distinct distortion sounds -- without any external effects -- fairly easily. You got like gain, drive, and the master volume to play with for the lead channel...

...all this is with tweed power -- fairly low volumes and ability to get some great feedback without totally blasting it, I'm not even making the tubes sweat. So using full power and really cranking it should yield further spectrums of distortion.

Clean channel... wow. I throw a T.C. Electronics chorus on there and man that is so sweet (I love chorus on clean).

I haven't used channel 2 much, mostly just 2 and 3... punch in from clean to dirty.

So... I couldn't disagree with what you wrote more (course this is strictly my own personal opinion, and as such doesn't really mean squat anyways).

Guess I'm happily deluded with my amp. So be it. :D Everytime I sit down and tweek the knobs I am very happy with all the tonal colors that are there.

This has tripped me out a bit, ah well... stick a fork in me! 'Cuz, I'm pretty much done. yah.
Last edited by miker on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJRox

#9 Post by PJRox » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:55 pm

Well the amp is a major improvement over my JCM2000 and I do love the versatility, but it just sounds way too much like a Marshall, and that was the sound I thought I'd get away from on this amp. Oh well, it's worked great for recording but the silent recording tone sucks BIG TIME...unless you do some major EQ boosts on the mixer or a parametric EQ or something.

NOT!!!

#10 Post by NOT!!! » Sun May 01, 2005 6:37 am

PJRox wrote: Are Mark IIc+'s really worth the price tag? I don't want to spend G's on an amp with tones that a $500 Peavey or Fender could do easily, which has happened to me before. I bought a 1967 Marshall Plexi and a Soldano SLO-100 (two big hyped up amps) and was let down both times. I'm just a bit skeptical about the Mark IIC+...

I can tell you, that a Mark II C+ is worht the money and everything that is said about it is true! Exceptions are confirming the rule, so you will always find people who say "I don´t think so"! But as everywhere is said the Mark II is called "The best Boogie ever", i´m with it!

It has very smooth sounds, both Lead and clean! The cleansound is just Fenderlike (I would say it is fender), and the Lead sound is warm but not muddy, so not like the Mark I ;). I tried a Mark IV for some times now, last time was on Friday and I just can´t get anything close to my Mark II C+, or just anything that satisfies me!

Smooth sound like Santana? ...I doubt there are many MK I/II users that could do that...

well, I can! and I have "only" the Triaxis Mark I sound! You should seperate sound and tone!