Advice on Buying a New Effects Set up!!!!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
robbiedp
Newcomer

Hi all,

Was just wondering, I am going to be spending about £250 ($500) on some new effects as I recently bought my Jem 7VWH and need Variety in my sound.I will be using it all to gig with!!!

Considering the amount I have to spend, and that I want as near to Vai's Sounds as I can get for this money, what should I get, seperate pedals, or somthing like a Boss GT8?? Would I be better off getting a morley wah, and DS1 and whammy, or what??????

My amp is only a Peavy studio112 and hasnt got a good Distorted sound so what are my options????

Thanks in advance!!!

Rob
pagliai

First of all you must change the amp you can buy half stack,after buy a good effect gear like tc electronic or so,and at the end you'll but ds1,bad horsie and whammy,this is my opinion and really good cables like dimarzio,monster cable,canare or so...
best of luck
alex
Cacophony

pagliai wrote:First of all you must change the amp you can buy half stack,after buy a good effect gear like tc electronic or so,and at the end you'll but ds1,bad horsie and whammy,this is my opinion and really good cables like dimarzio,monster cable,canare or so...
best of luck
alex
*cough copying vai ;)*

Tell me what type of music you play, what you feel you need and i can suggest some equipment :).
Heinous
Newcomer

£250? That'll be the Korg AX1500G then.
robbiedp
Newcomer

I play all kinds of music, but really favour and would like similar to Vai's guitar sound for when I am doing sessions...

All I really need is Distortion, Wah, Chorus and Delay!!!

So Am trying to think of the best Multi effects, or seperate pedals that will achieve what I need???

Thanks Guys.
vht4me
Newcomer

I would defiantly go multi FX… I use to have about 6-7 boss pedals, I sold all of them except my compressor, and noise gate (which I only use for recording) when I found my Digitech 2120 VGS (preamp/processor). I use it thru my heads FX loop… I have about 5 cool distinct delay sounds, and then there are all the FX that you don’t want to have to buy a separate pedal for IE. Trem, Chorus, Reverb, Phase, Ect.
I recommend trying to get something rackmount, because when it come to gigging anything on the floor has the chance of getting damaged, or lost. It’s a lot easier to replace my cheap ART midi controller, then some over priced pedal board.
KevinBradwick
Newcomer

I recently got my Boss DS-1 modified by Keeley electronics and I have to say that the unit rocks! it's got those colorful tones that are affected by your picking attack. You wouldn't get that uniquness from a multi effect box so it's swings and roundabouts. Check for more info and http://www.robertkeeley.co.uk samples.
bob mac

Get a new amp first before you spend alot of cash on pedals and effects....let the amp do the talk'in, then you can color your tone....