Legacy 100 has low volume, shuts off

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Hollywoodbadguy1
Newcomer

Legacy 100 has low volume, shuts off

#1 Post by Hollywoodbadguy1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Hey everyone.
First time post.
I'm Frankie Ray.
Just picked up a used legacy 100 head and half stack at an auction.

Have set it at 50 w 8 oms
And 100 w. 16 one.
Either setting there is sound but not even what a 25 w amp would make. Then about 5 min in it trips the 3 amp breaker in the back and shuts off.
I opened it up all toobs are lit but I think dim.
They are the EL34 TOOBS.
ANY IDEAS?
I AM UNABLE TO GET ANY VOLUME OUT OF IT. MAYBE 5 OR 10W.
THANKS.

ruger9
Newcomer

Re: Legacy 100 has low volume, shuts off

#2 Post by ruger9 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:21 am

The first stop is always the tubes. I suggest replacing the EL34 power tubes with new ones (or at least known good ones). IDK if the Legacy require them to be re-biased or not, usually the answer is yes.

After that, if it has a tube rectifier, replace that.

It could be a tube going bad, but not completely bad yet, that is arcing inside or something, and causing the breaker to trip (which is a good thing, because that keeps components from blowing).

Hollywoodbadguy1
Newcomer

#3 Post by Hollywoodbadguy1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:58 am

Hey thanks for the reply, should I have all the tubes tested before replacement? Or the rule of thumb, one going bad all are old.

ruger9
Newcomer

#4 Post by ruger9 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:46 am

If it's a power tube (EL34) replace them both (or all 4, not sure how many the Legacy has).

If it's a preamp tube, you can replace just the one that's bad.. but from your description, I'd bet it's a power tube. If it were me, I would replace all the power tubes, and see if the problem remains. If it does, then replace the rectifier tube (if it has one). If the problem remains, start replacing the preamp tubes, one at a time. If after all that the problem remains, take it to a tech.

I suspect a power tube, because they wear out much faster than preamp tubes do. I replace power tubes about once a year (when they start getting noisy), but only replace preamp tubes when they go bad (far less common).

But as I said before: that amp might require the power tubes to be re-biased when you replace them, so unless you know how to do that yourself, you may end up at a tech anyway.

Hollywoodbadguy1
Newcomer

#5 Post by Hollywoodbadguy1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:34 am

Thank you Ruger9.
Really appricate your time and insites.
FR.