Steve's new album "The Story of Light" is being releas

Latest news and blog postings directly from the Vai.com News page and Steve's tour blog.
Vai.com Feeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Facebook

Steve's new album "The Story of Light" is being released on August 14th, a little over a week from today! To celebrate, Premier Guitar brings you "Steve Vai Week" - featuring an exclusive interview with Steve, a video tour of his new Harmony Hut Studio, album review, giveaway with Ibanez, lesson & Rig Rundown. You can still pre-order the album on http://www.vai.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which includes limited edition items such as a DVD, 32 page custom booklet, 7" vinyl single, plantable postcards and more.Wall PhotosIt's Vai Week here at PG, and we'll have great new @[8232689025:274:Steve Vai] articles and videos coming your way every day. We're kicking things off with a preview of next month's cover. Enjoy!
kyle am I

well the harmony hut tour and ibanez giveaway have got my attention. Ive had dreams about the harmony hut, as only someone my age would.
Vai.com Feeds wrote:Facebook

Steve's new album "The Story of Light" is being released on August 14th, a little over a week from today! To celebrate, Premier Guitar brings you "Steve Vai Week" - featuring an exclusive interview with Steve, a video tour of his new Harmony Hut Studio, album review, giveaway with Ibanez, lesson & Rig Rundown. You can still pre-order the album on http://www.vai.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which includes limited edition items such as a DVD, 32 page custom booklet, 7" vinyl single, plantable postcards and more.Wall PhotosIt's Vai Week here at PG, and we'll have great new @[8232689025:274:Steve Vai] articles and videos coming your way every day. We're kicking things off with a preview of next month's cover. Enjoy!
kyle am I

its almost like the week before Christmas, kinda nervous and buttery in expectation of gifts or happiness. That's what the time before this new album is like. One more week. These special thingies each day leading up will help give something to look toward to to pass the time. I would spent so much time trying to find new facts and stuff, trying to find every thing on the Internet about Steve's guitars, rigs, studio, etc just looking for new matefial. Now there is so much i cant even handle it. Me thinks with the album coming out there will be an influx of people Ba k to the messageboard, and hopefully so, because this place is dead.
ocxcxd

kyle am I wrote:its almost like the week before Christmas, kinda nervous and buttery in expectation of gifts or happiness. That's what the time before this new album is like. One more week. These special thingies each day leading up will help give something to look toward to to pass the time. I would spent so much time trying to find new facts and stuff, trying to find every thing on the Internet about Steve's guitars, rigs, studio, etc just looking for new matefial. Now there is so much i cant even handle it. Me thinks with the album coming out there will be an influx of people Ba k to the messageboard, and hopefully so, because this place is dead.
So true.....
KenUPlayThat
Newcomer

I got mine YESTERDAY (August 6th)!!!! Didn't have time to give the whole thing a proper first listen but did get through the first few tracks. Wow! Can not wait to hear the rest today. Nice way to start the day!
litlgrnman

KenUPlayThat wrote:I got mine YESTERDAY (August 6th)!!!! Didn't have time to give the whole thing a proper first listen but did get through the first few tracks. Wow! Can not wait to hear the rest today. Nice way to start the day!
Awesome news! I was hoping it would ship prior to next Tuesday. Where are you from KenU?

Also, did you get an email notification from topspin that it had shipped prior to receiving it?
tcantafio

I got mine yesterday too and it was a complete shock. I had just finished purchasing tickets for Steve's show at the Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA. I went down for the mail (I work from a home office) and low-and-behold there it is was a whole week +1 day in advance of the normal release.

So to answer some other questions, I received no mailing notification at all...it just showed up, which is fine with me, because I wasn't anticipating it this soon...if I knew it shipped, I would have been anxious to receive it.

I live in the Philly 'burbs.

I've listened to the CD about 5/6 times and for the most part it's fantastic. Not as rocking as Reflections, but definitely more depth, which actually takes some getting used to. I do miss Billy and Tony though. There are a couple of songs that I'm really not too into yet, The Story of Light (the spoken Russian I find takes away from a rather excellent song), and the "blues/gospel" suite of John The Revalator/Book of Seven Seals. It's just so out there...just can't wrap my head around them yet - never been a huge fan of gospel, so I'm sure that plays heavily into it. I'm trying to listen to just Steve on those songs and he is quite awesome.

The rest of the album is brilliant, including the marvelous packaging and the expanded story lines. I haven't gotten to the DVD yet, but intend on watching it tonight.

A personal favorite so far is Weeping China Doll. Not only because it's another beautiful Vai tune, but because he transcribed roses growing on fence to create some of the music. Remarkable.

Looking forward to the show August 30! Anyone else gonna be at the Keswick?

T
ocxcxd

I'm still expecting mine. :o I have the tickets for show in Ljubljana, but the EVO Experience is just too much for me....sadly :roll:
kyle am I

ocxcxd wrote: but the EVO Experience is just too much for me....sadly :roll:
how do you think i feel?
KenUPlayThat
Newcomer

I'm in Central New York State. No shipping notification from Top Spin, it just showed up like a nice surprise. It is extraordinary. Been drinking it in all day. John The Revelator is like a Crossroads feel with a 7 string. Not from a shredding standpoint but from a cinematic one. Beverly McClellan is incredible. Steve gets so much out of her and she gives so much. Awesome!!!! Can't wait to see that live in Albany and Buffalo.
ZeyerGTR

Got my disc & DVD package last night (a week early!). The album is awesome, and the "behind the scenes" DVD is great as well. Really going to dig into the album over the next couple days but first impressions are: A+.
ocxcxd

ZeyerGTR wrote:Got my disc & DVD package last night (a week early!). The album is awesome, and the "behind the scenes" DVD is great as well. Really going to dig into the album over the next couple days but first impressions are: A+.
When did you order the package? Which one have you chosen?
kyle am I wrote:
ocxcxd wrote: but the EVO Experience is just too much for me....sadly :roll:
how do you think i feel?
Well, I'm saving money for the Carvin x100b, you know..... There's a guy in our town (which in comparison with your contry is really SMALL) who has it, and it's from the 80's you know? I think that would be a better choice.....since this little Marshall is getting boring....
ZeyerGTR

ocxcxd wrote:
ZeyerGTR wrote:Got my disc & DVD package last night (a week early!). The album is awesome, and the "behind the scenes" DVD is great as well. Really going to dig into the album over the next couple days but first impressions are: A+.
When did you order the package? Which one have you chosen?
I ordered right from Vai.com - I got the CD + DVD + Bonus Book pack ($24.95).
KenUPlayThat
Newcomer

ocxcxd:

I have had an x100b since 1985. It was an awesome amp but, and this is a big "BUT" it was very LOUD. Took your head clean off on 1. I sold it to a collector friend of mine and bought a new Legend 3. Smaller, lighter but same big sound when you want it. You can pull it back and it still sounds great. Take my advice my friend, the Legend 3 is the way to go. Sounds beautiful, no additional overdrive pedal needed and has Midi channel switching.

Having said that if the x100b is what you're after you won't be disappointed, I remember mine fondly. Feedsback really sweet, you'll need an overdrive or distortion to go with it and yeah, it's as loud as you'll probably ever need. I ran a Boss TurboOverdrive with it for 10 years and then more recently a Boss GT-10 but any overdrive/distortion pedal will probably due. Maybe a Gemini :)

Ken
ocxcxd

KenUPlayThat wrote:ocxcxd:

I have had an x100b since 1985. It was an awesome amp but, and this is a big "BUT" it was very LOUD. Took your head clean off on 1. I sold it to a collector friend of mine and bought a new Legend 3. Smaller, lighter but same big sound when you want it. You can pull it back and it still sounds great. Take my advice my friend, the Legend 3 is the way to go. Sounds beautiful, no additional overdrive pedal needed and has Midi channel switching.

Having said that if the x100b is what you're after you won't be disappointed, I remember mine fondly. Feedsback really sweet, you'll need an overdrive or distortion to go with it and yeah, it's as loud as you'll probably ever need. I ran a Boss TurboOverdrive with it for 10 years and then more recently a Boss GT-10 but any overdrive/distortion pedal will probably due. Maybe a Gemini :)

Ken

With Legend 3, I think you probably meant Legacy 3? Well, you know, here in Slovenia you can barely find ANY Legacy, I guess there are 5 in the whole country, maybe even less.... So this x100b I found very cheap, and I am comfortable with. And it even has an attenuator, which I like. Legacies are still a bit too expensive for me.... I don't know, maybe I'll trade it for the Legacy, if there would be any. I plan to run my guitar in to the Jemini, then into the Bad Horsie (which I still have to buy) and into the amp. I have a Digitech RP500 that I'd put into the FX Loop and bypass any amp simulation, and won't use drive on it.