www.vai.com/album

Latest news and blog postings directly from the Vai.com News page and Steve's tour blog.
Seraphim

Big Bad Bill wrote:My worry is that Steve Vai fans will accidentally buy Madonna's album, get home and be very disappointed with what they hear, become confused, post abusive posts on this message board, especially about Steve's 'new vocal sound' until they realise their mistake a couple of months down the line and go into hiding because of embarrassment. I'm not worried for Madonna fans doing the converse because they will only have their ears opened to something far more beautiful!
Just in case, I would buy both :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good one, BBB :P

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
lydian2000

This is going too fast.
RAI

lydian2000 wrote:This is going too fast.
Welcome to the world of Vai.
While he may have the fastest fingers in the west, things are slower than frozen syrup for the rest......
lastmohican

zzZZzZZZzZZZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzz z z zZZ Zz zzz
lydian2000

lastmohican wrote:zzZZzZZZzZZZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzz z z zZZ Zz zzz
+1000 and when you would think that............ ZZzZZZzZZZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzz z z zZZ Zz zzz

*falls asleep typing this*
Samuele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yGWKllR9Mo

There you go guys, the update we were all waiting for!

Boy, am I happy! :D
jenarom

Happy??? Now we have to wait almost another year!
lydian2000

Maybe he could release a DVD/CD extra like "The Ray of Light: At the end of a neverending tunnel".

Video was cool and nice(hair) though, but boy, I just can't put up with those time delays anymore.
litlgrnman

lydian2000 wrote:I just can't put up with those time delays anymore.

You should start a petition.
avzwam
Newcomer

The following post is not meant to injure, insult, anger, ridicule, upset or offend anyone nor am I judging anyone in it.

Here's Steve discography so far:

1984 LP Flex-Able
1984 EP Flex-Able Leftovers
1990 CD Passion and Warfare
1993 CD Sex & Religion
1995 EP Alien Love Secrets
1996 CD Fire Garden
1999 CD The Ultra Zone
2005 CD Real Illusions: Reflections

That's eight more records than I realized but then again I'm not in a situation which is as fortunate as the one Steve is in. Having said that, I was a bit disappointed when after The ultra zone his output sort of decreased (i.e. he released less). At least when it comes to his studio albums. As you can tell I didn't include the re-releases in the list above as I don't see those as genuine (or worthwhile?) releases. If you look at the last twelve years (1999-2011) he has released two studio albums... That's not a heck of a lot.

But of course he doesn't make records to do us, his fans/admirerers, a favor. So I'm not offended or anything it's just kind of a disappointment (as well as a shame? * ) when he clearly has the ability to write magnificent music and yet it almost seems he is more interested in investing his time in a whole bunch of stuff other than releasing (and perhaps even writing?) the kind of music he writes best, in my opinion. The orchestral stuff isn't bad...but his rock music is more impressive if you ask me. I think that is what he does best and he has hardly done it in the last decade. Real illusions was great, though. But one studio album in ten years? Wth?

It seems he likes touring more than being in the studio which I think is weird. In an interview he said once that when he had been touring a lot he wanted to go recording in the studio again and vice versa. He said there was a kind of balance when it came to the two. But now it seems that that balance is gone? In one of the YouTube updates when he spoke of recording a new record, to me it almost seemed that the whole idea of doing so wasn't something that made him go "Yay! I'm gonna make something great! :guitar " as much as it was something that made him go "Go into the studio? *sigh* Yeah, I guess I'll have to at one point. I'd much rather tour, though. I mean just doing the drums for a record is so much work... *sigh* And I just wanna have a good time, you know? But yeah, I'll make a new record. But it should be simple. Just in and out of the studio. I don't want to get stuck there. I mean sure, I can make something magnificent but I'd rather make something that's just kinda cool and call it a day as it just takes too much out of me otherwise plus I'd much rather do other things in the first place.". I could be wrong but that's just the impression that I got.

Anyway, he should do what he wants to do. And if that oddly enough isn't making studio albums as frequently as for instance Joe Satriani does then so be it. If or when he finishes this new one I'd be very interested in it, though.

* A shame as in "That's a shame" not as in "He should be ashamed of himself".
avzwam
Newcomer

avzwam wrote:If you look at the last twelve years (1999-2011) he has released two studio albums... That's not a heck of a lot.
I know 2011 isn't over yet but you get what I mean. :wink:
Prezidentman

avzwam wrote:The following post is not meant to injure, insult, anger, ridicule, upset or offend anyone nor am I judging anyone in it.

Here's Steve discography so far:

1984 LP Flex-Able
1984 EP Flex-Able Leftovers
1990 CD Passion and Warfare
1993 CD Sex & Religion
1995 EP Alien Love Secrets
1996 CD Fire Garden
1999 CD The Ultra Zone
2005 CD Real Illusions: Reflections

That's eight more records than I realized but then again I'm not in a situation which is as fortunate as the one Steve is in. Having said that, I was a bit disappointed when after The ultra zone his output sort of decreased (i.e. he released less). At least when it comes to his studio albums. As you can tell I didn't include the re-releases in the list above as I don't see those as genuine (or worthwhile?) releases. If you look at the last twelve years (1999-2011) he has released two studio albums... That's not a heck of a lot.

But of course he doesn't make records to do us, his fans/admirerers, a favor. So I'm not offended or anything it's just kind of a disappointment (as well as a shame? * ) when he clearly has the ability to write magnificent music and yet it almost seems he is more interested in investing his time in a whole bunch of stuff other than releasing (and perhaps even writing?) the kind of music he writes best, in my opinion. The orchestral stuff isn't bad...but his rock music is more impressive if you ask me. I think that is what he does best and he has hardly done it in the last decade. Real illusions was great, though. But one studio album in ten years? Wth?

It seems he likes touring more than being in the studio which I think is weird. In an interview he said once that when he had been touring a lot he wanted to go recording in the studio again and vice versa. He said there was a kind of balance when it came to the two. But now it seems that that balance is gone? In one of the YouTube updates when he spoke of recording a new record, to me it almost seemed that the whole idea of doing so wasn't something that made him go "Yay! I'm gonna make something great! :guitar " as much as it was something that made him go "Go into the studio? *sigh* Yeah, I guess I'll have to at one point. I'd much rather tour, though. I mean just doing the drums for a record is so much work... *sigh* And I just wanna have a good time, you know? But yeah, I'll make a new record. But it should be simple. Just in and out of the studio. I don't want to get stuck there. I mean sure, I can make something magnificent but I'd rather make something that's just kinda cool and call it a day as it just takes too much out of me otherwise plus I'd much rather do other things in the first place.". I could be wrong but that's just the impression that I got.

Anyway, he should do what he wants to do. And if that oddly enough isn't making studio albums as frequently as for instance Joe Satriani does then so be it. If or when he finishes this new one I'd be very interested in it, though.

* A shame as in "That's a shame" not as in "He should be ashamed of himself".
Very nicely said. I completely agree.
I also feel like a lot has changed over the last decade or so.... I would never blame him for anything, Steve can do as he pleases and he has every ounce of my respect, but the way things have been going the last few years or so is just a bit disappointing to someone who's grown up with his music in the early mid 90's when he was just a GOD to me...I am personally most disappointed that we couldn't have gotten that ALS type album somewhere along the way, IMO that would have been a great way to satisfy the hungry fans...oh well, guess we'll have to wait longer...
BigBunny

metallica did this to us with Death Maganetic... T Y F T hmmm i'm glad i'm late to this thread because just having a T would drive me crazy :P
lydian2000

litlgrnman wrote:

You should grow up.
litlgrnman

lydian2000 wrote:
litlgrnman wrote:

You should grow up.
Duly noted. :roll: