Alien Guitar Secrets - London June 13 & 14!

Latest news and blog postings directly from the Vai.com News page and Steve's tour blog.
dave-z
Newcomer

hi did i recieve a naked tracks cd box ?in swizerlands masterclass?
dave-z
Newcomer

have a question did i receive a naked tracks cd box in steve s workshop in swizerland?
cbr1000f

dave-z wrote:have a question did i receive a naked tracks cd box in steve s workshop in swizerland?
This is the wrong thread. All information (including the answer to your question) concerning
the Alien Guitar Secrets master classes can be found H E R E
LucySorets

Hi there,

Will be attending Steve's Masterclass too.

It's going to be awesome.

See you there :)

Lucy
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

dave-z wrote:have a question did i receive a naked tracks cd box in steve s workshop in swizerland?
A Naked Tracks CD set will be available for purchase at the show, but is not included in the ticket price.

Mikey
vai.com
Seraphim

LucySorets wrote:Hi there,
Will be attending Steve's Masterclass too.
It's going to be awesome.
See you there :)
Lucy
Gonna be great meet you there again :D

So far the vai.com list of atendances is:
AlexD
Inga7
jsterry
LucySorets
pauldlr
Symphon
-yasy-
:P

Have I miss someone?

See you all there :headbang

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
Claus P

Unfortunately I'm not able to go to London to the masterclass this time due to the exams of my students. I would really like to have met The Fox-group (and more members from this forum) again. I'll think about you all Saturday and Sunday. Enjoy.
:wink: Claus
Polymnie

I shall have liked to be with you too, but alas! I cannot for other reasons.
I wish you an unforgettable weekend. And, even if we are not there physically, we are with you and Steve by the thought and the heart.
Well, I am going to console me with friends of another kind!

boswell

mmm sheep
Seraphim

For the ones who gonna travel Saturday and Sunday to The London ExCel, must check the subway informations because some lines gonna be under construction during the event weekend :?

Hope this information is usefull for someone because it cost me 1 pound to use this lausy computer and this not-work-anymore keyboard... :mrgreen:

Hope no one arrives late for the AGS :P

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
cbr1000f

Some pictures from the London Internation Music Show by "chs170":
L.I.M.S !

The official review threads:
13 June 2009: Alien Guitar Secrets - London, UK

14 June 2009: Alien Guitar Secrets - London, UK
senorchristoph
Newcomer

Just my luck!!! :D It so happens that I'm going to be visiting a friend in London that week! We are for sure going to be there! This couldn't be any better of timing! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!
senorchristoph
Newcomer

WOW never mind! I thought it said July 13th and 14th....Now I'm going to go cry! :(
reesh
Newcomer

Well, I'm probably going to write something really contentious here, however I'd be doing the wrong thing to not speak my mind honestly on the matter.

My brother and I caught the masterclass on Saturday 13th, and it was a really great experience, but honestly, it wasn't what I expected, and I was a little disappointed by it.

Now before you jump the gun, start spouting hateful comments about me and think that I'm somehow besmirching the class, please do read on. I'm not saying that the class was bad - in fact it was excellent, and an experience I'd recommend to anyone, mostly because of the anecdotal stories and the intimacy of having Steve in front of you talking away. It removes entirely the barrier of performer-audience and it becomes more like sitting in a pub talking to him.

What was disappointing about it, however, was that most of what Steve spoke about was common sense, and I personally didn't learn anything new. The other disappointment about it was that because a lot of the class was opened to audience questions, the programme that had been laid out was lost about half-way through because a lot of the time had been taken up, and nothing ran to schedule. Therefore, the really interesting parts that I was looking forward to, such as advice on the music industry, didn't really get covered in any detail.

I attended the masterclass in 2007 at the LIMS where Steve was on stage with Phil Hilborne answering questions. Personally, I found that to be a lot more revealing than the AGS class, because he went into more detail on guitar playing and techniques. Perhaps having seen that particular show, it tainted my expectations on the AGS - I probably expected more for the higher price.

I would recommend to anyone to take the opportunity to go to the class. As I said before, the intimacy of it is brilliant - almost totally surreal having him sit in front of you, stripped of his "Steve Vai Stage Persona" and having this man chat about things. It was interesting to see that even Steve can get easily sidetracked and go off on tangents during his discussions. It was definitely the quickest 3 hour lecture I've ever had, and I could have sat through 8 hours straight without getting bored. It was interspersed with performances of Steve's music - starting with "The Crying Machine", then "Building a Church" and finally "Whispering A Prayer". What was brilliant about the performances was having Steve's amp right there in front of us, so the sound was really intimate too - not at all marred by the processing of a PA mixer or venue acoustics.

I would say to anyone who, like me, has been very proactive about their musical pursuits that they should go and experience the masterclass, but don't expect to learn anything you don't already know. He isn't revealing any quick secrets to securing success in the music industry, and will probably do little more than affirm to you that you've been doing the right things all along.

If there's anything you're not clear about and you want to learn some interesting things, then it's definitely worth going to to hear it from Steve, though if you can't afford to pay for the class then all the information about guitaring, the music business and what future steps to take can be found online for free. You just don't get to meet Vai on the internet...

Again I wish to repeat that it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and I'd do it again. Meeting Steve Vai and having him sign a copy of my own record was an honour, and an experience that I will carry with me through my whole life.

Highlights of the class were the intimate (I must stress this word!) performances, the story of his audition for Zappa and the examples for phrasing melodies. As well as, of course, meeting the man himself!

If at any point Steve were looking for ways in which to improve the experience, I'd definitely say that sticking more rigidly to the programme would be a bonus.

All that aside, thank you Steve for delivering such a wonderful insight into your music, the music business and for allowing us to share your expertise!