REVIEWS: The Aching Hunger, 24 May 2004: PARADISO

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jonesy038

Jeroenn wrote:
Gerco wrote:Steve has revealed to Record Collector (march 2004) that the orchestral shows in Holland should be filmed for a DVD-video.
I'm sure they should, but they weren't...

A DVD without film wouldn't be much of a DVD, right...
Someone in one of the other threads said the shows were filmed :?
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

There was one simple camera shooting from one (high) angle on one show. There was no full fledged video production.
Evert
Newcomer

Probably no DVD then....mayby an audio CD then? And mayby next year the DVD? I`m just glad and honored to have been there...next year i`m going to as much shows as possible..if not, all of them.
Gerco

Possibly there will be a cd with both the performances with the dutch metrople orchestra and the tokyo symphonic metropole orchestra.
universe
Newcomer

Again a great show, As expected the first 45 minutes the Metropole took the stage with some really nice pieces, the violinsolo's were the greatest (easy: the violin is still my favorite instrument :wink: ) I have to say the orchestra really had the right feeling playing Vai's music, with again great violinsolo's, bombastic percussion etc it was all good. But when Vai entered the stage the building almost collapsed (for the second time). After playing Kill the guy with the ball a short break was kept. After 15 min. or so the master re-entered first playing some beautiful songs I heard just one time (yeah you'll guessed right, the day before) but again the response to the music and performance was outstanding. The second day I heard a lot of things I didn't hear the first time but I think that's me and not a sudden change of sets. Later on Liberty, FTLOG, Answers and the Attitude song were an absolute kick ass experience I'll never get over ....
After the show Steve thanked personally some people (Co, Dick and the girl who played the incredible violin solo) rewarding them with a Jem each (except the gir who w....) He really should have brought 3 Jems!!!
Again: unforgettable!

Many pics of 23rd show can be seen on my website: www.wangotango.nl

Thanks again mr. Vai or may I say Steve 8)
Johannes
Newcomer

The two evenings in Paradiso were fantastic. Steve had (as usual) total control over his instrument, it was frightening. The orchestra was great too and it was amazing to hear some of Steve's compositions being performed this way.
Me and Mr.Irie were lucky enough to witness the rehearsel on monday and I can can tell you that Steve recorded pieces performed by the orchestra alone. I can't wait to find these on an album!

Steve, thank you (and Co of course!!) for the incredible evenings. These were the most memorable concerts I have ever experienced.

p.s.: universe, your pictures are great!!!
mr.irie
Newcomer

I totally agree with Johannes and would like to mention, in addition to universe's info, that Steve offered the violin player a jar of honey from his very own bee-hive in his fire garden as a token of his appreciation, rather than the Jem's Dick and Co received... :o
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Hi Folks,

I've been inundated with amazing photos from the Metropole Shows in Holland and I'm really grateful! thank you!

One thing is killing me though: Someone either emailed me or posted on the boards, some photos of Steve during rehearsals - one of the shots shows Steve with one of the violinists(?) going over the score with her. Another shot shows Steve and Pia shot from the site watching the orchestra rehearse. These images were taken up close by someone who had a lot of access to the rehearsal.

I'm working on image galleries for the shows and I really want to include these images. BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM!

If you sent them to me, can you sent me a private message, post them here.. or email me? If you remember seeing these shots, can you help a senile old man out by pointing me in their direction?

Love ya guys,

Mikey
vai.com
Crazyte
Newcomer

At last got back to reallity after that concert, so can post a message too :)
It was amazing, almost incredible... Orchestra (and conductor of course) was amazing - they really enjoyed playing :) It was only second time I saw Vai in concert - but first impression still remains - it's very interesting to watchhim playing (and to listen too :) ) and I can say that it is interesting and quite "easy" to photograph :) So I shot a lot of pictures, send some of them, but I'll try to find place to put them somewhere in the Net - maybe you'll like other ones :)
Sincerely saying, I tried to imagine how it would be (I've seen some projects, like Scorpions, Therions, with orchestra), but this project was more then I could ever expect! It was worth to go those 1500 km to see the show. It's a pity I could see only one concert :(
ravi
Newcomer

that was a great concert... mixed with classic stuff.

next year he will do the show again

greetins
Foxtrot
Newcomer

hey guys!
i was at both shows in amsterdam and it was just breath taking. no joke!
it was not ure typical vai concert what so ever and i think thats what made it all the more special. :P
the whole concert set up was magical and the percussionists guys were top class. i just cant say enough about it! :D
FinnJ

fionas still going on about the guy who played the trash can

groovy :lol:
s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i

dude it was AMAZING never have i cried that much at a concert.....especially when the 1st violin did that solo and the beginning of for the love of god........man this was the best experience ever........well.....next to sex u know.....hehhe but really tell steve that if hell come back next year hed better bring me some tissues as well lol.
Foxtrot
Newcomer

hey finnj ure just jealous cos ure not as good as him :)
the purcussionist guy was top class...groovy.
FinnJ

Foxtrot wrote:hey finnj ure just jealous cos ure not as good as him :)
the purcussionist guy was top class...groovy.

ha! ye shagger!