REVIEWS: The Aching Hunger, 24 May 2004: PARADISO

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
ronfya

Jeroenn wrote:
lydian7 wrote:I would really, REALLY loved to have been there. Did steve record any of the performances, and does he plan to release a CD of it? If so, I hope I don't have to wait as long as I've waited for Fire Strings to hear it! :cry:
All three shows were recorded.
but will they be released ??
dudross
Newcomer

Well Steve, before I get into the juicy bits, thanks very much for signing a card wishing me a happy birthday that was an amazing surprise. As for the concert....
Went to OOSTERPORT performance, Saturday 22nd May 2004. It was bloody GREAT! I was really impressed with your orchestral writing. I can just imagine some of orchestral players when they first looked at the scores; I’m sure they must have turned a little white and started to feel sick. Certain bits of that piano writing boarded on insane! And some of those glock/vibe phrases were completely and utterly crazy! My only complaint about the concert was ‘your heckler’, I kept getting really into the music, and he kept pulling me out, I did nearly go and destroy him. But I didn’t let that taint the night, it was amazing, over far too fast though and I wished I was able to go to the Amsterdam concerts, but I had to fly back to Canterbury, England. Please do more, and please, please, PLEASE publish the orchestral scores, would be great for personnel study and a teaching tool for orchestral writing and composition. See you in London! DUDLEY
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

ronfya wrote:
Jeroenn wrote:
lydian7 wrote:I would really, REALLY loved to have been there. Did steve record any of the performances, and does he plan to release a CD of it? If so, I hope I don't have to wait as long as I've waited for Fire Strings to hear it! :cry:
It will be on the radio in September, that's the only thing that is set in stone right now. Oh, I think I heard something about a webcast, Co de Kloet announced that I think at the first show.

Btw, the composer of firestrings was in Amsterdam too.. !
ronfya

Jeroenn wrote:
ronfya wrote:
Jeroenn wrote: All three shows were recorded.
It will be on the radio in September, that's the only thing that is set in stone right now. Oh, I think I heard something about a webcast, Co de Kloet announced that I think at the first show.

Btw, the composer of firestrings was in Amsterdam too.. !
i was expecting a video release :wink: :P
jenarom

ronfya wrote:
Jeroenn wrote:
In an interview posted at the Updates Page in vai.com (if I remember it was back in January 04), Steve talked about his plans for upcoming releases.

He said that in May 2005 he plans to release an album consisting of pieces from Fire Strings and the Holland shows.

He even said that he will tour with an orchestra in Fall 2005.

With all the reviews from the show, I feel pretty excited about this music and I wish that we all could experiece it.
faxiovai
Newcomer

Hi guys ,I was obviously there on all the three shows.
Steve RULES!!!!!!!!

I' m Fabrizio Vai from Milan, I wanna thank you my Brother .
IT'S BEEN THE BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!
I CRIED FOR THE EMOTION, IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE FEELING.
I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT.......
SEE YOU AT THE G3

I WILL BE AT FOUR SHOWS , I HOPE TO SPEAK TO YOU FOR A WHILE

I GOT SOMETHING TO GIVE YOU
EyE

jenarom wrote:
ronfya wrote:
Jeroenn wrote:
In an interview posted at the Updates Page in vai.com (if I remember it was back in January 04), Steve talked about his plans for upcoming releases.

He said that in May 2005 he plans to release an album consisting of pieces from Fire Strings and the Holland shows.

He even said that he will tour with an orchestra in Fall 2005.

With all the reviews from the show, I feel pretty excited about this music and I wish that we all could experiece it.
About a tour with an orchestra Ruta (Steve's manager) told me it would not be possible cause it's too expensive.
sonny sixshooter

EyE wrote: About a tour with an orchestra Ruta (Steve's manager) told me it would not be possible cause it's too expensive.
Lalalalala! Not listening! Pleease don't say something like that! I'd ilke to believe in Santa Claus just for a little while...
EyE

sonny sixshooter wrote:
EyE wrote: About a tour with an orchestra Ruta (Steve's manager) told me it would not be possible cause it's too expensive.
Lalalalala! Not listening! Pleease don't say something like that! I'd ilke to believe in Santa Claus just for a little while...
I know! I've already got my list of christmaswishes hanging in my stocking.lol
pbak

I went to both Amsterdam shows. I stood on the steps downstairs on the Sunday, and sat in the first row of the balcony on the Monday.

I felt the sound was generally good on both nights, but was clearer on the Monday.

The orchestra played for 30 / 35 minutes until Steve came on and played
'Kill The Guy With The Ball'. Then after a 15 minute interval, Steve and the orchestra played for another 40 / 45 minutes.

The 3 percussionists really earned their money, but the whole show worked really well. On occasions, Steve sat down and just listened to the orchestra play his arrangements, but he played with a lot of intensity,
and really seemed to enjoy himself.

The first show was filmed, by at least 1 camera, but that could just have been for historical and personal use.

Certainly, the audio release will be well worth waiting for.

It was great to see such a unique set of performances, and I would recommend people trying to go to the shows in 2005 when more new music will be premiered.

Hope the web-site is able to make use of some of the photos I sent them.

P
andrusch
Newcomer

went all the way from hamburg only to see this amazing show - and it was worth it. that was definitively a great experience. thx to this extraordinary orchestra and mr. bakker, who conducted great and seemed like having a lot of fun. some concerts i´ve seen i liked much more, because of their power, e.g. the sex and religion tour or the ones with billy sheehan. this one was powerful too, but in a very different way, ya know. it was great - no doubt about it! no G3 in germany this year, too bad. but i´m looking forward to 2005...
Evert
Newcomer

What a great show. I did not really know what to expect. I mean, the only Steve Vai i knew was the screaming freaking guy. The Man Who Has Sex With Flo.... but it certainly topped every rock/orchestra gig i`ve ever seen. It was a night not to forget. MusicHistory. Thank you,Mr Vai.
Gerco

For the first time in my life I saw a Steve Vai concert. It was an amazing show wich I shall never forget. I was just standing a few meters away from Steve. It was a great experience.
I want to thank everyone who made these concerts possible.
pbak wrote:The first show was filmed, by at least 1 camera, but that could just have been for historical and personal use.
Steve has revealed to Record Collector (march 2004) that the orchestral shows in Holland should be filmed for a DVD-video.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gerco wrote:Steve has revealed to Record Collector (march 2004) that the orchestral shows in Holland should be filmed for a DVD-video.
I'm sure they should, but they weren't...

A DVD without film wouldn't be much of a DVD, right...
pavel1982
Newcomer

I've only been to the one on monday, this show really blew me away :) some weed made the music even more beautiful :) (don't know if it's possible though). I've been standing 2 meters in front of mr. Vai and shot 2 rolls of film, have to develope it now and check if there is anything worthy posting.

Second concert of Steve I've been to and yet again "the best" show I've ever seen. Awsome concert!!!