REVIEWS: The Aching Hunger, 24 May 2004: PARADISO

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Did you attend this show featuring Steve with the Metropole Orchestra on Monday May 24, at the Paradiso?

Post your review here!

Mikey
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
chappy
Newcomer

:D :D :D :D :D
last night me and a friend went to the concert from Steve with the Metropole Orchestra
and it whas great the first hour it whas a litle difficult to aloth of acoustic instruments and you know what we rock people like screaming guitars
and this is what we would geth in the second part steve man you are not of this earth the wau he played is whas and is to good to be thru
i will see you in 3 weeks at the arrow rock festival
ronfya

ggrrr ... I saw the first show at the paradiso yesterday and I wish I would be there again right now... 20h30 the concert begins again but I'm back home in Belgium .... :(
(but hopefully I will be there again next year for part II :D)
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just came back from the last show. This one goes down classified as absofuckinglutly stellar. We had the best seats (That's John Puztai, FinnJ and his girlfriend, and the two mates from Wales (oh crud, I suck with names, hung out for two days with you and I still forget them.. :oops: I'm an a$$hole, sorry) and me). It was so intense and tight... It was awesome to watch and hear. Tonight I especially enjoyed "Murder" the song that came second after Brandos Costumes...wait, Brandos Costumes was also killer as allways...Helios & Vesta is awesome.....aww it's just all too great.
Wait until you hear this orchestrated version of "Kill the guy with the ball", it's the opener were steve shows up, and it's brutally intense.
Lotus feet is....special...breathtaking.

Before the final encore, Steve gave his two VSBL's to Co de Kloet (the organizer and friend of Steve) and Dick Bakker (the conductor). The woman who played the violin solo part (which was insane) got a bottle of firegarden honey, because she nailed that part every night, had to study hard for it. I chatted with her in the aftershow for a bit, and she appeared to really enjoyed the music.

The rest of the night I'll type up tomorrow, I gotta get some serious sleep :)
EyE

What more can i say.......? This was absolutely beautiful! To hear AND SEE Steve's music being preformd by an Orchestra is truly amazing. Had great seats. Stode beside Ruta (Steve's manager). She is a real nice and sweet person. Met Steve and Pia at the aftershow. They are real warm persons. (thanks for signing stuff Steve) (yes, got my Jem signed too)
Met some of the guys of the board aswell (forgot their names too Jeroenn, did remembered yours) Was nice to meet you finally (see you next time disaxter). Overall, an evening not to forget.
jerryl
Newcomer

A truely unbelievable performance. It was so beautiful I had to blink away a tear at FTLOG. The orchestra is fantastic as well and it's a unique experience to hear Steve's music performed by an orchestra. There are just no words to accurately describe this experience.
I will see the follow up performance next year, no doubt about it.

Does anyone know if one of the three performances of this year will be aired on NPS radio sometime? If so, when?

Oh and Steve, please do bring your headgear next time ;)
LordHar

It will be aired on radio 4fm somewhere in September. (just keep checking www.4fm.nl)

Cheers,
Harry.
disaxster

EyE wrote: Met some of the guys of the board aswell (forgot their names too Jeroenn, did remembered yours) Was nice to meet you finally (see you next time disaxter). Overall, an evening not to forget.
hey man, I'm sorry we didn't meet, but I'm glad you meet the other beautiful users. see you the next time! :lol:
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Part II

When I was trying to sleep last night...this morning at 6 am :? actually, I heared the orchestra in reversed stereo going thru my head.. (the xylophones were to the right) that was wicked! :) There was this riff in the first song, that repeated while the orchestra members came on, a group at the time, and in between little quotes from Steve's known songs. It gets you sweeped up and it sticks in your mind.

Last nights aftershow lasted for a little over two hours. Paradiso has the cool basement, a little crowdy at first but very cosy. So we again took a zilion pictures with everybody, talked for lengths with the folks there, had fun with the score manuscript from Chris Opperman (the piano player and one of the orchestrators, he's a very cool chap (and has his own great music!!)

Had a nice chat with the woman who did the violin solo (that part is so wicked!!!!!), she had a blast too. It was her first performance in the orchestra.. what a way to join the club! She's now the Rock 'n Roll Violin player...

Talked a bit with his guitartech, who is a local luthier and does repair stuff for Ibanez Holland, I checked out one of his handmade guitars, high quality stuff for sure!

Steve did another little speech to thank everybody there, gifts were exchanged (Steve now has a book "Dealing with the Dutch" I think it is.. :) )

He got torn to pieces between all the fans who wanted pictures and signatures (I saw a lot of cool Jems down there, later on someone walked in with a DNA, looks nice in person!), looked tired but very happy and satisfied.

So at the end said a lenthy goodbye to everybody... (Cheers FinnJ, don't cry no more, ok? We'll all meet soon again.. :D )

All in all it was unbelievably great!
EyE

How's everybody doing? I myself am still tired. What a show, what a show! The orchestra is realy beautiful (i cheerd my longs out for them also).

Ruta (Steve's manager) told me:"Steve was realy moved and emotional when he heard the orchestra playing his music for the first time. It's a dream come true. Holland was the only country who dare to take this risk at doing this. Everybody else said no. And now....everybody wants to do it to".
Thank God it happend! It was completly different from what Steve normaly does with his Freak-show. Realy, for those of you who wure not there..........o man!!!!!

AN ORCHESTRA THAT MAKES YOU EXPERIENCE WHAT STEVE VAI'S MUSIC IS ABOUT!!! U N B E L I E V A B L E!
Helios and Vesta, Whispering A Prayer, Bangkok, Incantation, Brandos Costumes. What about Ballerina 12/24 harp and piano.
Liberty (Ruta:"that's how it's ment to be"). And how For The Love Of God started.........so so so so Beautiful (tears flow).

It was a real emotional rollercoaster for me.

Had a great evening and finaly met some of you guys (guys from Wales, John Puztai, Jeroen). Thank you for you!!!! Co de Kloet (also so nice, i'll email u) thanks, Ruta - thank you for all of this, you're great!), Pia (thanks for the picture) and Steve............man.....if words could speak....THANK YOU!

John
Aqcst33

<BODY TEXT=FFFFFF BGCOLOR=000000 LINK=FFCC33 VLINK=0000FF ALINK=FFCC33>

???
Last edited by Aqcst33 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
EyE

Shakeel wrote:Just before the end Vai gave a his blue jem to Dick and Flo to Co de Kloet.
That wasn't "Flo"(white guitar) that he gave to Co, but also a Jem7VSBL (blue guitar, are you colorblind :lol: )
lydian7

I would really, REALLY loved to have been there. Did steve record any of the performances, and does he plan to release a CD of it? If so, I hope I don't have to wait as long as I've waited for Fire Strings to hear it! :cry:
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

lydian7 wrote:I would really, REALLY loved to have been there. Did steve record any of the performances, and does he plan to release a CD of it? If so, I hope I don't have to wait as long as I've waited for Fire Strings to hear it! :cry:
All three shows were recorded.
Aqcst33

EyE wrote:
Shakeel wrote:Just before the end Vai gave a his blue jem to Dick and Flo to Co de Kloet.
That wasn't "Flo"(white guitar) that he gave to Co, but also a Jem7VSBL (blue guitar, are you colorblind :lol: )
errr... sorry, i really tought he gave him the white one.