REVIEWS: 05 November: GLENSIDE, PA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Moderator777

Did you go to this show? Please post your review here!

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
sms101
Newcomer

The show was amazing. Steve was fabulous. It was great to see Steve and Tony work out. I also loved Joe and the jam was terrific. It was great to meet Steve and Joe after the show and get a picture. Come back to Philly many many times
SCB814
Newcomer

Great show! This tour is one that should not be missed. This was my first G3 show, and my first for Steve and Yngwie. I was impressed that Steve was able to dodge Yngwie guitar as Yngwie spun the guitar around his neck. I think Steve was surprised that it missed him also. Again, great show, and I can't wait for the next tour.
satchvai

What an absolutely fabulous night. Yngwie was good, Vai was great, and Satch was a monster. Thank you so much Moderator777 and Mikey for those aftershow passes. I got Steve and Joe to sign my Jem among other things. They were so kind as they posed for pictures for me. Joe even yelled at a security guard who tried to rush me. He said "well, i AM talking to him," and then he proceeded to tell me what to do about my tendonitis. The only bad thing about the night was a very annoying guy on the left side who kept getting in the way until security finally asked him to calm down. There was also this guy 2 rows ahead of me who seemes to always stand up at the wrong time and tried to hold a convo with the guys on stage as well as bow to them. but other that that, all I can say is wow, what an incredible evening.
G4Gene
Newcomer

I’ll start my entirely too long review by prefacing that I am a fan of all three G’s. I haven’t seen Yngwie since ’85 and kind of stopped following him after his Odyssey album. So I was looking forward to being reintroduced to why I was first into him 19 years ago. I have been a big fan of Mr. Vai since his days with Diamond Dave and a fan of Joe’s since the day I heard the SWTA cd. I also took my son with me. He is 16 and a big fan of Joe’s. He had never seen Yngwie or Steve live. So I was really interested in his take on the show.

Yngwie: I’ve read all the complaints about his antics on stage but I went to the show with an open mind. I really didn’t mind all the kicking and guitar throwing in itself. The problem with it was that it took away from Yngwie’s ability to perform his own songs. He played portions of songs people would recognize then go off and repeat the same 5-10 runs over and over. He did however play those runs with amazing technical ability. At the end of his set I was left thinking, “Wow, this guy is technically brilliant but compared to the other two G’s he really lacked substance.” Ever met someone who uses the same big words over and over again just to show you how smart he is without really say anything of substance? It was kind of like that. His sound wasn’t bad. His band seemed like a necessary evil to him. I’m sure if he felt he could get away with not having a supporting cast he would. IMHO he could have never followed either one of the other two G’s. After the entire show was over my son said that Yngwie didn’t belong with the other two. He seemed like he was just out for himself. I still enjoy listening to Yngwie’s music but instead of being reintroduced, I was left remembering why I stopped following his career very closely.
B, Mostly for amazing technical skill

Mr. Vai: Words can’t convey the experience of seeing this man perform. He has gone beyond mastery of the instrument--he has become one with it. Seeing and hearing Steve perform is as much a spiritual event as it is a musical one. His music as performed live lives and breathes. At the end of his set, my son said that he had never seen or heard anything like that before in his life and that he didn’t expect that he ever will again. You have another new fan Steve. On the ride home he asked me if I thought Mr. Vai was the greatest guitarist that ever lived and after some thought I said if you had to pick one, it would have to be Steve. He can run with anyone but no one can run with him. His band was great—very tight. His band sound was the best of the three. I wish I could say more but as I said mere words cannot covey the experience.
A++, Mostly because it’s the highest grade I can give. In Matrix terms, Steve Vai is the Neo of guitar.

Joe: As many have said, Joe was Joe. His guitar sound was really good—crisp, you could hear every note. The only problem for me personally was song selection. I know a lot of people like his choices for this tour but many of them were not my favorites so I was kind of let down a little. His playing though was perfect. He is a master. He doesn’t have the presence that Steve does but you can’t fault him for that, he’s Joe not Steve and that’s why we like him. His band was solid. My son is a drummer and loves Campetelli. So it was a big thrill for him to see him live. He also loves Joe but agreed with my comment on song selection.
A-, Lost an A due to song selection.

The Jam: The only thing I’ll say about this is that it really emphasized who much Yngwie is overmatched by the other two giants. I don’t want this to sound like another scathing Yngwie review. He is just not on their level. But he could be. He just needs to focus more on the music and less on the acrobatics.

Overall: A, Loved every minute of it. Thank you Joe, Steve and Yngwie.
rarry

hey steve please come to berklee ..while yur in boston.
cam-89

All I could say is, WOW! This was my first G3 show and I absolutely loved every minute of it. It was very inspiring for me as a guitarist and it made me want to take my playing to the next level. Yngwie reaks of technical virtuosity, and I think he breathed new life into the tour.Steve, in my opinion, stole the show. Every note he played came from his heart and I would definitly go see him on a solo tour. Joe was great also. He is a really smooth player and I dig his style. The jam was awesome. Yngwie was doing Voodoo Child, but instead of playing from his heart he blurted out the same harmonic minor runs and arpeggios. But, it was still cool to see him do it. Steve did a beautiful version of Little Wing. My favorite though, was Joe doing Rockin' in the Free World. I even got to meet Joe and Steve after the show. They are very nice guys and I have pics of them signing my strat for me. I guess Yngwie was too busy playing with his hair to come out and greet his fans. O well. Overall though, it was an awesome show and I can't wait for the next tour. (Maybe they will have EVH on tour with them.) 8)
Last edited by cam-89 on Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
lsjr
Newcomer

last night's keswick show was nothing short of stellar! i could go on and on about how great each musician is and was last night but it really goes without saying. there is no need for me to fill up this message board with my boring insights.

i have one gripe though and it's directed at yngwie. his performance was outstanding but why was it so long? vai's seemed the shortest (maybe because i enjoyed his performance the most) but it really did seem like it was cut short. other than that, like i already said, it was nothing short of stellar!

thank you, g3 gentleman!
Evo1031
Newcomer

I must say that last night's show has thus far completed my life! Mr. Vai, you have truly shown me the best performance I have ever seen and probabaly every will see (that is until you go on tour again). Being able to be less than 2 ft. from Steve Vai after completing his set and have him look at me and my friend and smile was the best experience ever. The show was completely incredible, the new line up is absolutely amazing. God bless you all. STEVE COME BACK SOOOOOON!!!!
bcunningham22
Newcomer

havent gone yet, got my tickets for nov 10th at the beacon in nyc. how long is the show? did it start on time? also, does the meetngreet start immediately after and how long does that last? (hopefully i win tix mikey!! lol) jus trying to figure out plans...although im sure i won't care bout time once im there.

glad you all had a great time and i cant wait to experience this!!
joed123
Newcomer

While I admit severe bias from the last G3 since it had Petrucci, my 3rd favorite guitarist (take a guess at my first two :D ), this was still an amazing show. Yngwie showed off his whole bag of tricks in his first song, but his one trick of playing insanely fast leads without a single error really doesn't grow tired (until the jam, heh). Vai was *ABSOLUTELY AMAZING*. I can't stress that enough. There's a reason he was the only guy getting standing ovations the whole night. The opening track with 3 guitars; i NEED to have that on CD or (preferably) video. So beautiful, and so wonderfully done...i'm so jealous its really hard to describe! And the 4-man interaction was incredible as well. Satch's band was cool as usual, there's never a bad thing about satch's set, it just sometimes seems a little drab after the craziness of vai's performance...and the jam rocked...someone tell yngwie to lay off the sweeps during voodoo child slight return's intro, it was almost comical! But the 3-part harmony during rockin' in the free world was worth the ticket price alone. Another show worth every penny, Vai/MacAlpine/SheehanWeiner/Satriani/Malmsteen ROCK!
guillo28
Newcomer

I understand why many members of the forum are dissappointed with Yngwie's performance. But I think a point is being missed. Harmonic runs, Whammy bar bomb dives, pinched harmonics or even tappping are all techniques to complement the song. Are Steve, Joe and Yngwie different ?, of course! But wasn't the Keswick show a great showcase for these guitar giants talents? And nobody has mentioned what a great job Tony, Billy and Dave did. And what an amazing job did Jeremy Colson did on the drums! I think the power of his drumming affected Steve's performance to the point to raise it another notch ( if something like that is even possible ).

Awesome show ! :D :D :D

BTW - : a set list for the performers would be great, as I didn't recognize some of the songs.
Octavian

guillo28 wrote:BTW - : a set list for the performers would be great, as I didn't recognize some of the songs.
The setlists are in several threads. I'm not sure about Yngwie's, but there's a partial list for Joe, and a link to Steve's here:
http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2535
rickes335
Newcomer

First, Thank You Moderator 777 for the after show meet and greet. Steve was really cool, he signed a picture of my son who's middle name is Vai, he also took a picture with my wife and myself. The show was just spectacular, I can not beleive that these musicians can play with such precision and musicality night after night, what a level of proficiency and virtuosity,WOW. I just hope that the G3 tour continues to happen year after year, quite frankly, everyone else out touring SUCKS, and I need shows like this to let me see and beleive that the art of being a musician in the world of rock and roll is not a lost art. Thank you Steve, Joe and Yngwie and all you wonderful band members-play fast then faster-rickdeansmith
jonno

Steve was unbelievable. I sat in the 5th row with my jaw on the ground for his entire set, from start to finish. Whispering a Prayer had me in tears again (I heard it for the first time on the last G3). The crowd was very annoying... people standing where they shouldn't etc. As for Satriani, I've never seen him rock that hard, it was great. My thoughts on Malmsteen: if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. Nothing at all :wink:

BTW, I waited outside for Vai for about an hour after the show, but had to leave because I had school the next day... about what time did he come out?

And lastly...

STEVE: if you're reading this, thank you so much for a great night. Your set alone was worth the ticket price, and I would love to see you come to Philly by yourself. 2 hours of Steve by himself!? OOOOH MAN!!!