REVIEWS: 22 JUL 2007 - LONDON, UK

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
codnchips

#31 Post by codnchips » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:48 am

INCREDIBLE!!!
Probably the 5th time I've seen Mr Vai and it gets better each time.
My jaws ache from grinning so much.

I don't feel I need to talk about the sound quality\lights\setlist - all amazing\incredible etc.

What really touched me was watching Steve's face. You can see how happy he looks and seemed genuinely touched by his (2) standing ovations. I felt really emotional for him because in the UK a standing ovation is one of the highest forms of praise that can be given within "theatre land" and everyone in that theatre meant it 100%

Thanks for coming Steve, it's such a treat to spend an evening in your company and I as a great fan, can't wait for you to return. You're always welcome on our shores.

Yorksha_Pud

#32 Post by Yorksha_Pud » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:38 am

harvestthesouls wrote:yeah it sure was man, if it didnt alredy, hetfield made it feel special, "this is why we do what we do!" will never forget these two nights, btw Yorksha_Pud where were u sitting, the angle of your photos looks like u were sittin quite close to where i was
I was in in seat C30 on the aisle. Chinese-y looking dude with the black t-shirt. The second half of those photos are from when everyone rushed to the front, which was quite cool, felt more like a real concert! Came so close to catching a pick as well lol. The stewards were acting a bit weird, they were forcing certain people to go back to their seats but seemed OK with everyone else doing it.

jsterry

#33 Post by jsterry » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 am

Wow! What else is there to say. This had to be the best Vai outing I have seen in 10 years, it even beat 2 years ago at the same venue. Ann Marie Calhoun and Alex De Pue fitted in absolutely perfectly, Brian Beller was strong and full of presence. Dave and Jeremy, well what can I say? "Stay, never leave the Vai band."

It was great to meet the band after the show, all very friendly and took time to sign autographs and have pics taken.

It was great to meet members of this forum, Seraphim and Lucysorens, not sure if I spelt that right. Seraphim, don't forget to give a shout when you want to visit Stonehenge.

Keep smiling

Jim.

harvestthesouls
Newcomer

#34 Post by harvestthesouls » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Yorksha_Pud wrote:I was in in seat C30 on the aisle. Chinese-y looking dude with the black t-shirt. The second half of those photos are from when everyone rushed to the front, which was quite cool, felt more like a real concert! Came so close to catching a pick as well lol. The stewards were acting a bit weird, they were forcing certain people to go back to their seats but seemed OK with everyone else doing it.
aah i was in row b seat 23, next to the girl that zack weisinger went up to when he first jumped off the stage

lol none of eth picks came into my direction, the girl sittin next to me got a drum stick though

john_nai
Newcomer

#35 Post by john_nai » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Yorksha_Pud wrote:
harvestthesouls wrote:yeah it sure was man, if it didnt alredy, hetfield made it feel special, "this is why we do what we do!" will never forget these two nights, btw Yorksha_Pud where were u sitting, the angle of your photos looks like u were sittin quite close to where i was
I was in in seat C30 on the aisle. Chinese-y looking dude with the black t-shirt. The second half of those photos are from when everyone rushed to the front, which was quite cool, felt more like a real concert! Came so close to catching a pick as well lol. The stewards were acting a bit weird, they were forcing certain people to go back to their seats but seemed OK with everyone else doing it.

First Steve Vai show for me. I have seen many huge performances over the years but this was the best ever!

Joined you at the front at the end. Fantastic. My lad (who introduced me to Steve Vai when he insisted that the Jem was the only guitar for him!) is the one videoing Steve on his phone when he kneels down in your photo.

I thought I had seen a few guitarists but none come close to Steve Vai. Fantastic show - wicked bit of video for my lad on his phone - and I caught a drum stick!

matsimpson

#36 Post by matsimpson » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:32 pm

2nd time ive seen vai, and it eclipsed the first time mainly cus of the crowd :D vai had the audience going crazy and the security guards during the encore were completely pathetic! The atmosphere during the encore was absolutely electric, i managed to get in the rush to the front :D Aside from that, the rest of the show was absolutely amazing :D Vai's voice saying "WHatttt are you seeeeeinnnnnnng?" at the beginning was just so exciting and i loved the theatricalness of the show - the smoke, the lighting (which was absolutely awesome especially with vai changing colour!) and the sound clips playing over the PA. The violin solos were jaw , probably some of the fastest music ive ever heard, and the slower solos were beautiful - wasnt sure about Alex's violin sound though. I was standing next to the speaker during the encore and it practically blew my eardrums :p anyway yeah main point of my review is that it was incredible :D:D:D

RTStibbon
Newcomer

#37 Post by RTStibbon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:41 pm

4th time i've seen Steve - definately the best ! My 2nd Evo - Steve kindly signed some pictures I made from some photos I took at last evo - he even showed them to mikey as he said he thought they were cool! Hello to the person I met in seat a11 - hope you enjoy the next show!

Yorksha_Pud

#38 Post by Yorksha_Pud » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:15 pm

I recorded most of Whispering A Prayer, including the the amazing reaction form the crowd at the end. The picture isnt great, but the sound is ok.

Part 1 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=cp86cif86ro

Part 2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=J2mUnRYvAZ4

:D

Oodles
Newcomer

#39 Post by Oodles » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Thank you for uploading that, I got shivers just watching it again. I was in the 4th row back right infront of Steve when he offered those picks to the audience.

Well, I can't really say anything that hasn't been already said except that the word amazing would be a detriment to how good that show really was.

Steve, thank you so much.

forgottenglory
Newcomer

#40 Post by forgottenglory » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:46 am

Thanks for posting those videos...amazing song...great feeling...stunning guitarist...humble performer

jwoolrich
Newcomer

#41 Post by jwoolrich » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:01 am

Wello hello there. After allowing what has taken place in Hammersmith to sink in over the past 2 nights, I think it's about time I wrote about it, seeing as lots of other people do. I was lucky enough to be on the EVO experience, which I must say was nothing short of gargantuanly cool. Steve came up the stairs, sat on his drum stool and opened himself up to questions.

After explaining something about being laughed at over some horn charts, I decided to ask him something along the lines of...Do you ever think when people are laughing at you, that you could do something just as musically good without getting the hassle. (I think my exact words were, do you ever second guess yourself)...The answer to that question has perhaps taught me more about the importance of self confidence, innovation and how being uncompromising in your creativity is vital. I think his exact words were 'If you doubt yourself, you can never know yourself.' A very cool answer.

After that, everybody went down to soundcheck. Now usually at a soundcheck (and I find this with MY band) everyone just plays a little until you can balance all the sounds. It's not usually very detailed. However here, Steve's sat in front of his monitors, saying things like 'turn them al up 3DB with the exception of the bass, which should go up 2DB.' That's what you call a good ear, especially as the sound was phenominal. They went through Die to Live, Taurus Bulba and All About Eve, and then used up the remaining time working on an idea Steve had said he'd had earlier that very day, whilst in the gym. Anyway. That covers soundcheck.

On to the show. When I was here on the Real Illusions tour in 2005, I was surprised by just how many people elected to not bother with the support act. This time, it was Zack Wiesinger instead of Eric Sardinas. But still, a fair gew didn't bother watching. Well, all I can say is it was their loss. I though he was brilliant. He was incredibly amusing, played awesome and interacted with the crowd well. Favourite quote of the night from him was 'I'm going to play this song as if gravity has already taken its toll.' (He was talking about his big hair). After his set that included a rendition of the James Bond theme, OXFOOOOORD TASSSSLE GASSS and a bit of Hendrix (fingerpicked so he could play the singing melody), Everyone waited for 'The Vai.'

The lights go down, musicians take their positions, and suddenly a green guitar appears on the left of the stage. I remember the first few songs well. And I also remember Steve pretending to kick his techs ass when he took off his Sound Theories cloak/robe thingy (which I do believe is a technical term). Anyway, the show most certainly went on, and the whole audience sat as witness of this wonderfully magnificent show. The obvious highlight being Whispering a Prayer. I was sat in the 4th row, pretty much in the centre. The standing ovation given to that performance was well justified, and just didn't seem to stop. You could tell it was extraordinary when Steve put his hand over his mouth and his eyes opened wide. It looked like it had an effect on him. Anyway, I'd been reluctant to take any pictures until this song, due to the venues 'if we see your camera we'll take it off you and quite possibly send a pack of wolves after you' policy. But by this point, pretty much EVERYone had phones and cameras out. How were they going to stop us all?

After the show (I had already bought all their albums from the merch stand) I met Zack Wiesinger who signed my album and posed for a photo (and was a very cool guy), Bryan Beller who signed my other album (who again I spoke to and was very cool. I already knew about him from his 'Life of Bryan' blogs) and I met Dave Wiener. I already had his album signed at home, so he signed my ticket and explained to me that he should have a new album out soon, and that it really should have been out already. And then I left the Apollo, got on the tube and got lost near the Home Office in London (with loads of wierd people about) whilst looking for my hotel.

SO, without further adoo, Steve Vai, at the Hammersmith Apollo. I don't remember it as anything else, I'm only 18...

Final word from Zack...

PS, if anyone wants a better look at any of these, I'll e-mail them if you ask nicely.

djsaysauce
Newcomer

#42 Post by djsaysauce » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:27 am

incredible show. wish i could have videod the whole thing. all the musicians were astounding. i had a smile fixed to my face. it was a powerful experience.

-ves: the green laser/light coming from near the floor of the stage pointing out into the stalls was strong on the eyes. i thought the bass/kick drum was hard on my ears after a while.

+ves: seeing vai for the 1st time, the standing ovations, vai looked really moved by the audience's appreciation, seeing such talented musicians play so many songs to such a high standard without looking at any music, seeing so many vai fans, not just playing one encore.
Last edited by djsaysauce on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

mphgt

#43 Post by mphgt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:24 am

I think this was something like my 12th or 13th time seeing Steve live and I think it was one of the best I've seen.

The whole bands performance was superb I thought the introduction of the violin players to the band worked really well and Alex and Ann Marie are both tremendous musicians. I thought Jeremy was on fire this was the best I've ever seen him.

Hearing a few tracks I'd never heard Steve play live before was a highlight for me, the little bit of Damn Good at the start of the accoustic set made me smile as Skyscraper was the first album I heard Steve play on.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and it was great to meet and chat with Jeremy, Dave and Bryan again at the aftershow. After waiting for the crowd to clear a bit I went up to Steve who signed a photo I had taken on his 2005 tour and he asked if I had Sound Theories yet and said it must seem a bit different to how I remember the shows ( I was at 4 of the 5 shows with the Metropole) I told him that those shows were very special to me and is something that I will never forget.

Not even the hassle over my photo pass (my friends know) could spoil the night for me. This was a great show and well worth the trip from South Wales and getting home at 5am :D

tomgamble100
Newcomer

#44 Post by tomgamble100 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:25 am

What a brilliant show!!! Vai and the band were incredible, especially when they played the epic Freak show excess!!!

I was sick twice however in the concert so whoever saw that pile of puke by the toilets I apologise.

Didn't think much of the suppourt act, bit of a clown in my opinion.

great concert!!!!!

I will be uploading loads of videos from the concert on to my youtube channel so search for Steve vai hammersmith in youtube!!!

leigh01

#45 Post by leigh01 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:48 am

Yorksha_Pud wrote:I recorded most of Whispering A Prayer, including the the amazing reaction form the crowd at the end. The picture isnt great, but the sound is ok.

Part 1 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=cp86cif86ro

Part 2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=J2mUnRYvAZ4

:D
AAh Dude cheers for sharing, this had to be the most amazing part of the show, I can just imagine that moment again, ah lovely.