REVIEWS: 22 JUL 2007 - LONDON, UK

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

REVIEWS: 22 JUL 2007 - LONDON, UK

#1 Post by Jeroen » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:03 pm

Did you attend this show at the Hammersmith Apollo in London, UK?

Please post your reviews here!

Jeroen
vai.com

jem7v

#2 Post by jem7v » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:49 pm

dude oh dude oh dude

what an amazing show
id be hard pushed to think of a better one...wicked set(same as the last few shows)
the violins were an amazing addition to the mix,,,2 amazing players
and adam sandler on bass...just kidding,,,so so great
i was 4 rows from the front and the sound was crystal
he got a standing ovation after whispering a prayer,,and vai was seriously moved by it,,as the crowd did,nt sit down of stop clapping for like 10 mins
vai was the man,,such an entertainer,,with his deep deep lyrics for firewall,,,that cracked me up..and his frank stories..
im just so high from that performance tonight....
highlights for me were
die to live
all about eve
taurus bulba
whispering
cant wait for dublin on tuesday..

peace and love and good happiness stuff

Snaith
Newcomer

:O

#3 Post by Snaith » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:06 pm

amazing... had to leave like 1 minute before the end because of tubes and stuff but did he just finish on for the love of god or did he play something after it?

best show ever.

Cathedral
Newcomer

Re: :O

#4 Post by Cathedral » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:19 pm

Snaith wrote:amazing... had to leave like 1 minute before the end because of tubes and stuff but did he just finish on for the love of god or did he play something after it?

best show ever.
For The Love Of God was the closing piece yes. Although you should have stayed for the end, phenominal. :D

I'll post my thoughts later, I just got home and I need food, I haven't eaten in eight hours.

Epitaph
Newcomer

#5 Post by Epitaph » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:38 pm

What an event!
My second vai concert since london 05 and this one probably tops it, the new band is just something that cannot be topped.
What made the day extra special was after parking round the corner from the theatre me and three friends walk along the road and see a man looking across the road at the theatre. I said in disbelief as to what i could see 'that's Steve Vai'. crossing a pedestrian crossing we greeted him and shook his hand, he quickly marched on saying 'see you at the show'
Thankyou Steve, Will not forget that night

mo786
Newcomer

#6 Post by mo786 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:53 pm

Just back from this..I'll make it quick.

I am a new Vai fan. Infact the ONLY song I knew of his was FTLOG (which is fairly popular if your into guitar solos) - I went in 'blind' (if you will) hoping to be dazzled.

First off - the support act, Zack, was awful in my opinion. Nuff Said.

Secondly the venue was nice but a couple of minor points. I was sat right next to the door on the right hand side - but they left it open throughout which was annoying as it was cold and it was letting in light - so ruining the atmosphere a little bit for people on the edge.

Its a SITTING CONCERT - then why was some old bint CONTINUALY getting up to take photos- the security kept telling her not to - 2 good reasons to kick someone out if I ever saw it!

IMO without a doubt the highlights of the show were Whispering and FTLOG. At a decent concert you just need something to have FEELING, something that just touches you. And those 2 tunes did. The violin piece was also very cool.

As to the rest of it, I must admit because I didn't know all the material a large chunky of it felt very samey but some parts did stand out.

I wasn't that impressed by the 2 songs Vai sang or the accoustic section (and the solo drum section went on a bit too long IMO) - his voice was also drown out a little by the instruments. That said the instruments were very clear sounding.

So there you go - an opinion from a non hardcore Vai fan but someone who goes to concerts regularly. I must say it was deffo worth the money (I'd probably pay £30 to see Whispering and FTLOG again to be honest!)

Vai seems liek a nice guy - you could tell he was touched after the standing ovation he got for Whispering. (2 concerts now in 2 weeks where the acts were amazed by the audience - last one being Metallica. Maybe its just me :wink: )

Finally, as expect, Vai is an absolute master of the guitar. I've never seen another guitarist have so much control - and the tongue useage at the end was amazing, lol.

Cathedral
Newcomer

We return after a short sandwich break...

#7 Post by Cathedral » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:07 pm

Astounding, that's what I think of the show.

Zack has a great sense of humour and kept the crowd entertained, even with the dissappointing amount of people chosing to participate in the "Hey's" and "OXFOOOOORD TASSLE GAS!" etc. he put on a great show. Zack's a living answer to Frank Zappa's question of "Does humour belong in music?" Its a solid yes.

As for Steve, first thing I need to say is the chuckle I got from seeing him play while wearing that coat and seeming to command sound out of the twin violin parts, all this made Steve look like a Musical Wizard, it was great! I don't believe for a second the set list could have been any better, it was great to hear so many of my favourites, especially All About Eve (note: jerk in the aisle screaming "FOR THE LOVE OF GOOOOOD" every ten seconds pre-encore, I really hope karma hits back at you and strains your throat for that).
Whispering a Prayer was phenominal, I had a kneejerk reaction to jump to my feet with the rest of the people in the same row as me for the applause, I thought we might look like muppets, turned around and saw the entire theatre giving a standing ovation, a lengthy one which clearly hit Steve, the performance and audience's reception is something I'll never forget.
I can't ignore the rest of the band, a troup of exceptionally talented musicians, not forgetting Jeremy's walking drum-kit. I really hope the violins aren't a temporary thing just for this tour, Ann Marie and Alex sounded fantastic and were a good fit with some of Steve's music, I really hope Steve considers making more use of Violin parts.

I saw some amazing feats of music tonight, something I'll never forget.
Last edited by Cathedral on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrewvai1
Newcomer

London gig Hammersmith

#8 Post by andrewvai1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:46 pm

What can i say? the gig was awesome and then some, I loved the dynamics of both Ann Marie and Alex with the band and believe this is one of the best Vai gigs I have been too, and I have been to quite a few! watch out Dublin the Vai band is coming to kick your ass!,London's ass will be sore for weeks. I wish to say a big thank you to mike for the EVO experience and after show and to Steve,Dave,Ann Marie,Jeremy,Bryan and Alex for a great show and for taking the time to speak to us and sign our things. hope this tour is captured at some point for a future DVD release so everyone can share in the blessing the show really is! Catch you on the next tour Andy P. :D

pauldlr

#9 Post by pauldlr » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:37 pm

All I can say for now is Whispering a prayer :shock: :shock: :shock:
(should be an emoticon with chin on floor!)

Wil post full review when head arrives back on my shoulders :D :D :D :D :D

jackie235
Newcomer

one word..... Awesome!!!!!

#10 Post by jackie235 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:05 am

This was my first Vai concert and I have to say WOW!!! It was probably the best concert I have ever been to, and i'm thinking that nothing I am going to see soon could top it.

The Band members were amazing, and the two violinists were Phenominal, I have never been more impressed by someone who I wasn't expecting to be the main event. The drummer was very funny especially with his walk-about-able drum kit. The guitarist was great but up next to Vai he was sort of drwoned out, but I did like his solo bit. The bassist was great as well.

The opening act was very funny but he had a big job trying to get the crowd going and he did it very well. But I was very embaressed how few people joined in with the 'HEY!' and the 'OXFOOOOORD TASSLE GAS'

Steve was (as expected) amasing, and the song that really blew me away was 'Wispering a Prayer' to which the whole audience all stood up and clapped him untill he told us to stop. But it was clear that we really moved him, I think to the point of tears, to which I was really honoured. I don't think that there was a songle song that I didn't love. but the highlights were Tender surrender, Die to Live, Freak Show Excess, Wispering a prayer (obviously) Juice, and For The Love of God. I'm still buzzing now!!!!!

All I think I have to say is even my friend (who isn't a vai fan) thouroughly enjoyed it. And I laughed at the fact that the people in front of us were the only people around us that had a go at the sack-a-tooker-bak-a-tooker bit.

Overall the greatest night of my life so far.

Jack

disaxster

#11 Post by disaxster » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:40 am

This was a hell of a show!
As many of you know, my camera died :( so I have no picture at all (to all my official photographers on location, thanks a lot and please send me some pics as soon as you recover!)

The EVO meeting was held upstairs in the venue, instead of the private room bar of the last time; it was a little noisy because a huge refrigerator roar, but BIG MIKEY saved the day :lol: and we could finally hear Steve's voice again.
The questions were overall good (at least nobody asked him what's his favorite scale) and he was willing to talk and share his energy with all of us - as usual.
He told us a story about an idea for a new song that came up to him during the morning while he was in the gym and to prove it he has a small piece of paper in his pocket, with the melody on.
I believe during the sound check they were sort of rehearsing it. A lot of people gave suggestion for the title, the best one for me was the Gym Theories (Steve is crazy enough to call it like that you know!)
We laughed a lot about other stories, movie-related (I did't say anything, but I still think the Miami Vice theme by Jan Hammer is great LOL) and some Zappa bits.
One nice lady told Steve she saw him at that venue together with Frank back in the old days, when it was called Odeon and they both agreed on the fact that changing the name didn't make much sense to anybody, as the people will always remember it as the Hammersmith Odeon!
Sound check was shorter than the last time, as we were running a little late.
The opening of the show was kinda crazy and people didn't really know how to react. The guy reminded me of an old flatmate of mine, a fine musician too, with crazy hair and funny craziness all around him!
The set list is the same that has been posted before for this tour.
The first time I heard about the 2 violins in the band, I was very curious to see how they could fit with this kind of music and it was absolutely FANTASTIC! I had the chance to speak with Ann Marie at the end of the show, about mixing classic music and rock, it's really refreshing not to mention that all the songs came out stronger and more vibrant with the violins backing up!
By the way, I think it's rare to meet a classic musician (like Ann Marie) ready to go on the road with a rock band, just go for it GIRL! I asked her about her experience with the Jethro Tull and she admitted laughing that it was rock, but not as hard as this one!
Back to show (sorry for the digression but I slept 4 hours), after Whispering a prayer (correct me if I'm wrong) there was a standing ovation and it looked like Steve appreciated it immensely, as he has a look on his face sort of: "What the hell have I done differently this time?" Jeremy was standing on the top of the drum looking at the crowd with the same: "What's going on?" look. It was pretty intense.
I don't know if it's the best Vai show I have ever been to, I still remember the first time I saw Steve back in Milan some light years ago, but definitely the quality is getting higher and higher. Steve, the courage that you mentioned during the EVO (the courage to be honest with yourself and do the things that you want to do and you feel compelled to do as a human being and a musician, regardless of money/mass crowd appreciation issues) ... I hope you can keep it up because it keeps you and your work flowing and energetic and most of all ALIVE. I like the way you change and the way you have been changing through the years, maybe I really like what you do because it reflects the real nature of the universe: constant changing (ok, I'm jet lagged). :oops:
I had a nice chat with Bryan Beller during the aftershow, I hope your lovely GF won't go for that plan (so behave man!), I know I gave her the Italian approval :lol: but... seriously Irish girls kicks ass and definitely got passion! :lol:
Will this review ever end? :)

It was good to see some old nice people and met some new one from the forum here, thanks again for the pics support.
Mikey, thanks for everything and I mean everything (hey no drinking session but at least we had a nice chat this time).

Take care everybody, :)

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Thanks Steve!

pauldlr

#12 Post by pauldlr » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:00 am

Here's one to be getting on with Maria! :D

disaxster

#13 Post by disaxster » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:07 am

DLR what would I do without you? :wink:

harvestthesouls
Newcomer

#14 Post by harvestthesouls » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:36 am

Hey, mo786 i also went to see metallica 8th july, two great very different performances, im curious which performance reached out to you the most? for me the energy and crowd response in metallica was more alive than ive ever felt, but yesterday was alot more emotional and the sound quality (the way it was amplified) was beyond phenomenal!!!!!!!!!!

me (left) my friend cat (right) and stevie in the middle!!!!

forgottenglory
Newcomer

#15 Post by forgottenglory » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:41 am

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G...as usual!

This is my first post here but I'm a long time fan since the monumental Passion And Warfare. Yesterday's gig was my third time seeing His Vai-ness. Each gig has been different from each other both musically and visually. I never got bored during the gig as Vai is more than a 'mere' musician. He is a true entertainer. My favourite moment other than the standing ovation winner 'Whispering A Prayer' is the divine 'For The Love Of God'. Funny anecdote: I saw somebody in the front row on the left throwing the devil's horn during that song! I wonder if he had any idea what the title of that song was?!

I can't thank you enough Steve for the show! You're a God send. I hope you keep putting on quality shows like these for years to come. I'm now patiently waiting for the Sound Theories DVD. The CD is a masterpiece in my eyes!

Of the other musicians, I was really impressed by Ann Marie. I liked the way she comes to the front of the stage to perform and when she's done, retreats in the shadows and takes this stand by mode where the violin rests on her left arm whilst the bow rests by her right leg and then when its time for her to play her part again she walks briskly to the front of the stage and plays her part...very effective!

He's to the next tour!